Animal hospital housing?

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a special place made for their sick or injured animals?

I usually just grab a cage and bring them in the basement for a few days. In the summer I can just put them in a separate pen with a small house but in weather like we have now I need another option.

A small shed or building could also store any aids I use for helping any injured or sick animal.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

For us, it is a cage or pen.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

We currently use a cage, as we don't have anything outdoors. Hoping for a nice barn when we find our forever home!!

• Monek Marie

@ltwickey I loved my barn. The wind took 2/3's down but I am rebuilding.

With my predator issues I have to either bring an injured or sick animal in or have a double pen to keep them safe in.

I had a sick little goat one night so it spent the night on the couch with me in a diaper

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Loved how you spent the night with a sick little goat---I can only imagine getting and keeping on a diaper!

• Monek Marie

@water2world He actually behaved and kept the diaper on very well. He watched TV with me, lol

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant You either had a well behaved goat or you just have a knack!

• Monek Marie

@water2world Its a combination of both ;)

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

That is so sweet. I would have done the same thing!!

• LaurieLovesLearning

You were in the diaper all night? ROFL Sorry, I just couldn't resist...I did enjoy that.

It does help if you have good facilities. We have had our share of large animal issues and can't always easily house when we need to. That is when tarps and whatever start to get improvised into something.

• Monek Marie

@LaurieLovesLearning How do you think I got the goat in a diaper, I had to put one on myself ;) Good catch.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Denise Grant Haha! Kids do learn best by following an example. 😉

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Hi, we have on stall in the barn that opens to a small yard. This is also our quarantine yard. Any new animals brought onto the farm and housed here for 30 days.

This area can also be for a new mom and her kids. :)

In the past we have brought chickens in the house and kept them in the bathroom. haha Figure it's the place they can create the least amount of chaos.

If a mama doe kids in the winter, we bring her and the kids in over night. We don't do heat lamps in our barn.

Love the idea of a goat in diapers sitting with you watching tv. :)

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Hassena For chickens, we use dog carriers. In winter, we have been known to bring them into our unfinished basement (it's cool), to see if they recover. The problem with this is that they can't go out again until the temperature is more moderate.

We also brought a newborn calf into the basement via an extra large plastic dog carrier.

FYI, Chickens & ducks elsewhere have been known to wear diapers too...just not in our house!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

When we had a sick or injured animal we had to build a second shelter and little hut for them using what scraps of wood, shingles, and fence that we had the time.

I can't believe your goat-kid wore a diaper. That's hilarious!😂

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have farm animal experience, but I know that sick animals are comforted when you sleep alongside them at night. Maybe to them it feels as though the pack or flock are protecting them.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Ideally, a quiet place undercover from the elements, not to far from the house, is required. Certainly something to think about in the planning stages or you’ve bought some land with sheds & or stables but if you don’t have that, well you have to work with what you’ve got. An unused covered trailer, pallets come in handy, dog kennel etc.

We no longer have farm animals but if I come across an injured bird, I make sure I have a cardboard box in the garage for it to recover. They’re usually stunned from flying into windows or doors. Once I had an absolute catastrophe with a doe having quads, she & 2 of the kids died & we were left with 2 kids to rear. I grabbed a bale of straw & fluffed it up in the corner of the shed & put a farm gate at an angle to have a temporary pen, worked really well for a time until the boys got a bit of size, were weaned & put out with the other goats.

@Monek Marie true dedication & compassion is all I can say about you.