DMSO

annbeck62
annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a good source to purchase DMSO? Also do you have a favorite book, website or other source of information about DMSO? Thanks :)

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

No, but it is something I've been curious about for a long time. I hope someone has some good answers, because I will be following this post. Thanks for bringing it up!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

If you have a health food store nearby you can check with them. That is where I got mine. It's just to be used with care because what you put on the skin before and after the application of DMSO is brought into the body. Perhaps I've been over-cautious, but that is what I have learned about it.

• annbeck62

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas what brand do you use? I'll probably have to order on-line so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting. I don't think you're being overly cautious, I've heard the same thing. I've heard DMSO is extremely powerful but you have to know what you're doing when you use it.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

What is DSMO? I have never heard of that.

• annbeck62

@karenjanicki dimethyl sulfoxide it is very powerful and can be used successfully for several different health conditions but you have to know what your doing.

Thank you @annbeck62 That is SUCH a mouthful lol. I'll get the brand name for you and post it but it will probably be tomorrow.

@annbeck62 the brand is Nature's Gift. I've had it for a while, and by a while I mean about twenty years 😄. But it is stored in Amber glass and has remained in fairly even temperatures the whole time.

Another interesting tidbit is that when you use DMSO you will get a garlicky taste in your mouth. I've read that regular use will give the person a persistent garlic smell that people around you can smell.

The bottle states that it is a solvent, which is true. I think it has been used by industries for this purpose. I'm remembering more about since I've been digging around the files in my brain. 😂

• annbeck62

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas thank you. I just looked and the company is still around and it looks like is still sold in amber glass. I will order that brand 😊

• karenjanicki
  • annbeck62

@karenjanicki I'm not sure if you could call it a supplement. It's diluted in distilled water and sold as a liquid or sometimes you can get gels or creams that contain it. I Don't know if using a gel or cream is as powerful as using it straight. In mainstream vets use it on horses for arthritis. For people it's part of the natural holistic medicine world.

• karenjanicki

Thank you for the info and for starting this discussion. I appreciate it.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard that you really need to proceed with caution with DMSO. I had thought it might help with my arthritis, but I decided several years ago not to use it.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

At least garlic repels mosquitoes and woodticks. I’ve not heard of DMSO nor what it is useful for, can someone answer this?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I had heard of DMSO but was really quite unfamiliar with its uses so off I went down the research rabbit hole. For anyone who is currently taking DMSO, I’m sure you have done your research and if it is working for you that is awesome. But there are some cautions and contraindications for use.

DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) is a by product of the commercial paper-making process. It is promoted as being from a natural source (the trees used to make the paper) but it is a chemical produced when other chemicals are introduced to the cellulose fiber from the trees during the paper making process. Its primary use is as an industrial solvent. In the early 1960’s DMSO was being tested by the US FDA but the tests were stopped due to serious eye issues in the test animals. There has been very little research since. It is thought to work as an anti-inflammatory by acting as a counter-irritant that reduces perception of pain but its action is not well understood. There are some claims that DMSO is “organic” sulphur. Personally I think that is like claiming oil & gas are organic because they came from plant based carbon.

Medicinal Uses: Anti-inflammatory. The US FDA and Health Canada have approved the use of DMSO for cystitis, interstitial cystitis, radiation cystitis, trigonitis and prostatitis. Early research indicates improvement in foot ulcers of people with diabetes with a DMSO cream. More research needs to be done on DMSO for treating bed sores, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and tendinopathy, although there are some studies that indicate it may be useful for both acute and chronic musculoskelatal pain. It increases the effects of hydrocortisone when used as a carrier. It may be useful in preventing extravasations from chemotherapy. It has possible uses in cosmetic surgery. DMSO has been approved for veterinarian use and is widely used in treating equine injuries.

Cautions & Contraindications: Some side effects of taking DMSO include skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, and allergic reactions. DMSO also causes a garlic-like taste and breath and body odor. DMSO is easily absorbed through the skin. If you are taking DMSO and use insulin, monitor blood sugars closely as it may alter how insulin works in the body. DMSO may harm the liver or kidneys; long term users should have liver & kidney function tests done every 6 months. DMSO can increase the absorption of other topical or oral medicines, possibly increasing the effects and side effects of the medicines. Do not use DMSO if you are taking blood thinners of any kind. Not enough information is available for use during pregnancy. Be certain that the DMSO that you buy is for internal use. Many DMSO products are for industrial use only.

• annbeck62

@tory thank you for doing the research, it's helpful. I've heard a lot of antidotal success stories which made me curious and I knew you had to be cautious but wasn't aware of all you found. I also heard it was a natural product so you finding out its actual source is eye opening. I'm still curious but will proceed slowly.

Yes, thank you @torey for that fantastic research!

@SuperC I do not think that it will repel the blood suckers in and of itself.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

So I went and found the structure and figured since I took Organic chem I can tell you a little bit about is name. First off all "organic compounds" (meaning substances that contain the element carbon) name's tells you its structure. For example Dimethylsulfoxide (Di means 2) meth (means 1 carbon (this is indicated by the two carbons on the ends since it is only a one carbon long chain) sulf (is Sulphur) and oxide (oxygen usually requiring 2 electrons to have a total of 8 valence electrons (this is indicated by the double bond)). Each single line represents a bond. If you have any questions let me know!

P.S. Also garlic contains Sulphur compounds so that is probably why DMSO smells like that.

P.S.S. The term "solvent" reference to the ability to dissolve "like" compounds (meaning water dissolving salt or if you have an oil dissolving other fats (think salad dressing)).

Structure from Wikipedia

• annbeck62

@Cornelius interesting information, thanks.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@torey thank you for the detailed information. Wow! my eyes are more open.