Earthbag Houses

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I do my research while I'm waiting to retire and relocate, I've been collecting info about various housing styles. These range from concrete block plans to cob to earth bag.

Thought I'd share this link to earthbag houses.

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earthbag building is incredible, we have been studying about it for seversl years and collecting woven feed bags to use when we get started. Would love to have something like lava rock to add in for more insulative properties but have not found a reasonable source.

Have you discovered papercrete or aircrete yet. Fascinating material and great insulating properties.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this type of housing. I also like cob. Unfortunately what I don't like is how labor and time intensive it is.

@RustBeltCowgirl Thank you for sharing. I enjoy reading and learning more about this type of thing regardless. Hopefully one of these days I'll have the time and help with the labor to make a little tiny house or she shed with it.😊

• Carlos Clavell
    Carlos Clavell Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

Your article was very informative and an unique concept I should say.

Thank you for the post.

• You might want to dive into the concept of a wofati

Developed by Paul Wheaton. I just read his book cbuilding a better world in your backyard" for the third time.

Lots of great ideas and many food for thought.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

I think cob houses are fascinating!

• Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I have been interested in these techniques for building something akin to a above ground root cellar. Living in Florida means that building a root cellar doesn't work out so well - it ends up being renamed 'pool.'

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the most interesting discussions ever!!. I took some time yesterday and read up on earth bag homes. I loved them. Yes, they did seem to be very labor intensive.

• Silkiemamuska
    Silkiemamuska Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I have also wanted to build with earth bag homes. Definitely very labor intensive but if you have the desire and the supplies just starting and working on it consistently will get the job done.

This would not be something that I would undertake if there was a very firm completion date required. Life has a way of adding surprises that need to be factored in.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen a community in Panamá use all plastic bottles of all shapes and sizes, stuff them full of other plastic bits, and build houses and building that function. Plastic is a good insulator. Creative people