Question about using Eucalyptus leaves

Annie Kate
Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

My husband gave me a huge bouquet for my birthday a few weeks ago, and it has eucalyptus leaves in it. Would it be a safe/good idea to use the leaves in some sort of herbal way? Last fall @judsoncarroll4 wrote about it:

Materia Medica Lesson 7-3: Eucalyptus

Good for bacteria, including major burping indigestion and gastrointestinal stuff. Basically a disinfectant. Good with echinacea. Good skin wash for chiggers, heat rash, etc.

EUCALYPTUS LEAVES. Standard Infusion, 2-4 ounces, to 4X a day. ESSENTIAL OIL,1-5 drops in capsule. STATUS : W/C

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to try to make the infusion from the eucalyptus in my bouquet, what to infuse it in, and exactly how to do it.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eucalyptus in throat lozenges always makes me feel better. Unfortunately, most of those lozenges are loaded with bad ingredients.

I just ordered some eucalyptus powder with the intent of adding some to my tea when my throat is sore (very common this past year, probably an allergy to all the anti-viral products in use.) With no guidance, I plan to start out using very small amounts.

I will be following this thread for my own education.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Here are MM's instruction for a "standard infusion":

STANDARD INFUSION

Boil 32 parts of water, remove from heat, and steep one part (by weight) of the herb in

the water for 20-30 minutes. Strain, and pour sufficient water through the herb in the

strainer to return the volume of tea to 32 parts.

One thing though - are you sure no preservative or other chemical has been applied to the eucalyptus?

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

As @judsoncarroll4 stated you may want to check with the florist they sometimes preserve leaves with glycerin which would be OK if it is food grade.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Also make sure nothing was added to the water in the vase in store or after purchased.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I would be cautious using anything that has been grown for the commercial florist market. Even if the florist hasn't used anything, the growers might have heavily fertilised with chemicals or growth stimulants. Or they may have been sprayed with pesticides. Ask the florist where they get their plant material and find out what kind of gardening practices the growers are using.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Annie Kate I second what @torey@gardneto76 @Lisa K say. I would not use anything from florists as food or for home medicine, but you could use eucalyptus for incense sticks or mixtures if you make them. Eucalyptus will give a nice scent.

Whenever I have herbs, which I am not using in the kitchen or as home medicine, I put into the herb mixture which I use in my smoker when I work with my bees. I had some eucalyptus leaves in a wreath and I used them in my smoker.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, everyone. It's a good point you all made that the eucalyptus is likely not free from contaminants, so I will not use the leaves as food or medicine.

We don't currently have bees @jolanta.wittib so I suppose I will just smell them once in a while and then toss them into the compost.