bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

Witch Hazel is a natural Astingent

Kills bacteria.

It Cleanse, Sooths and Treats

Does not dry your skin out.

Cleans oily skin

Minor cuts, scapes and bug bites

Good treatment for cold sores and treats acne.

Tightens skin, so good to wrinkles and double chins.

Helps remove a ticks

Simply combine witch hazel with warm water and a bit of lemon juice to create a fresh-scented, all-natural cleaning solution that works brilliantly on metal, glass surfaces, tile, and even jewelry.

Comments

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I do use witch hazel as a face toner, but not all the other great ideas you list here!

Do you grow your own? I want to plant a couple because they are so beautiful but I need to learn how process so I can use them too.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

I use it frequently, for hand sanitizer with alcohol and EO's, and I've infused it with rose petals for facial toner which smells wonderful. I had no idea about the ticks though!!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lmrebert when you have time would you describe how you make your hand sanitizer? It would be much appreciated..

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Great for hemorrhoids! Apply with a cloth or cotton balls.

Oil of Olay uses it in one of their eye gels to help with puffiness and wrinkles.

• lmrebert

65% alcohol to 35 % witch hazel then add EO's if you want to go easy use thieves or on guard or do your own blend of cinnamon bark, clove, lemon, rosemary, and eucalyptus.. I also add tea tree and a few drops of vitamin E oil... here is a dilution guide from a couple different sources, Tisserand is the go to for EO info. some people use a gel, which I have not done but have ordered aloe to do. Depending on what you would like to do such as for children adults or whatever strength you like. they say carrier oil dilution but it doesn't matter the menstruum. If I were to do a 4 oz spray bottle then for a 2% dilution which is what I do, you would add 72 drops total. I would just divide evenly as much as possible if you are using individual oils or just do 72 drops if you have the combos listed above. I work as a nurse as well as in surgery so not due to this recent "outbreak of virus" but because this is good practice on the regular, I don't touch door handles as much as possible, and wash my hands for 20 seconds or more then i shake and spray the sanitizer rubbing vigorously (friction is one of the best ways to kill germs) until its absorbed. If you wanted to do herbs and not EO's.... which now that I'm thinking that would be a great idea! I would need to do more research on the specific herbs like rosemary, maybe oregano, lemon peels, cinnamon, clove and decide if I should infuse in alcohol, decoct in water, or if I can go right into the witch hazel... I'm excited. I'm grateful for this resource because it really gives me more ideas. I've seen thieves ingredients for ACV infusions etc but not for alcohol or witch hazel. This is not a plug for RMO and they are not an MLM .. .just the suggested dilution guide... hope this is OK!

Gel recipe, but I would add 65% of alcohol and 35% aloe

https://wellnessmama.com/281/homemade-hand-sanitizer/

• lmrebert

Oh yes and lets not forget postpartum relief! Pour on sanitary pads!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

When my girls were teens they used witch hazel for acne breakouts. It was very effective.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Love it as a toner! Did not know the other uses, thanks @bcabrobin !

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I use it as a toner, on cuts, and on hands for a fast clean. It helps with breakouts. I used it on poison oak out of desperation, I poured it directly on the rash. It calmed the annoying itch and the rash was gone the next morning.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I've found in the last 10 years or more, that the vessels in my hands break sometimes when I'm doing heavy work and I bleed under the skin (bruise). It swells up and is painful. Once it happened to my ring finger and it got so big, I had to go to the hospital to get them to take my ring off! If I put witch hazel on it, It stops the bruising immediately. Good for any bruising. So it would work if you got in a fight too :)

• r.lewmir
    r.lewmir Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

Can I grow witch hazel in cold climates with 4 seasons? Does it need any special soil or attention?

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@bcabrobin I have used it in the past as a face wash, among other things. I haven't used any in a while but was able to purchase some seeds for it earlier this year and broadcasted them in February.

• snoek
    snoek Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

It is the only thing I have found effective for haemorrhoids, a real lifesaver.

I used it just last week on a white-tailed spider bite, seemed to help a little when nothing else would.

I'm thinking it may reduce inflammation...

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@r.lewmir Yes you should be able to grow witch hazel. It is hardy from zones 3 through 9. It will grow best in full sun, but will tolerate light shade. It grows to 10 to 15 feet tall. I find it mixed in woodlands around here, by the edges. I found a patch quite by accicent in the later winter when it was in bloom 2 years ago. The shrub will grow best in moist, slightly acidic soil but does acclimate to other soils -it just wont grow as tall.

I need to go check that patch out again for seeds and baby seedlings underneath. I would like to bring some of them to this property. Where they are now they get mowed over or plowed under when they are small

• Monek Marie

@snoek Yes, it will reduce inflation. I have put it on a poison ivy rash and it dries and cleans it up

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep a small bottle of calendula infused witch hazel for bug bites and small scratches from working in the garden. Great for stopping the itch!

Looks like tobacco juice, but it works.

I just put a spoon or two of dried calendula flowers into a small jar, cover with witch hazel, and shake every day for a week. Strain out the flowers (compost them) and use as needed.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

Witch hazel also starts easy from cuttings so if you find a tree you can create you own little mini forest.

I like to dry witch hazel branches for decorations. I have read that it is edible but the article I read did not say if it had a helpful reason for eating it

• Monek Marie

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Thanks for your recipe. I will have to give that a try

Absolutley love Calendula too

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize all the benefits of which hazel. Thank you all for sharing your uses and recipes. I currently just use it as a toner.

Do any of you have a recommendation on where to purchase it? I currently just get it at the Walmart near me but wonder if the quality might be better elsewhere.😊

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much information. This is wonderful. I had no idea there were so many uses. Or that it could be grown in zone 3. Might have to try growing some here.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri Oh yay! That's the same one I use too. Relived to know it's a good brand. Thanks for passing long the site link.😊

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

I really like Thayers-alcohol free Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula, Rose PetaL!!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri thanks for the bug bite recipe. I am a magnet for biting insects so I will be trying this.