Herbal Solution for Stress

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited February 2021 in General Health

Ever wanted an easy herbal solution for stress? I sat down with my friend Dr. Patrick Jones, a holistic doctor in Idaho. For 21st-century people burning their candles at both ends with frazzled nerves, there’s a herbal solution for you to conquer the day: oatstraw.

Learn more from our discussion on stress here ➥

Want even more information on oatstraw? Check out https://thegrownetwork.com/oatstraw-benefits/

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I just opt out of stress. But, I ALWAYS love learning from Doc Jones!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Another item I need to add to my diet and lifestyle Thank you!~

@Marjory Wildcraft I just noticed that tee shirt, Nice!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just learning about oatstraw. I actually have it as an ingredient in an herbal chai recipe I've been making pretty regularly lately. It tastes amazing and I can feel a difference when I drink it as often as I'm supposed to. When I forget I can feel the difference because there are other nutritive and immune building herbs and mushrooms it it as well that make me feel so much better.😊

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Oatstraw is one of the nourishing herbal infusions that Susun Weed rotates through. Something we should all drink more of.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where would you get oatstraw?

I too, would love to know where to get some seed so I could try to grow my own.😊

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@JennyT could you share your herbal chai recipe?

• Torey

Mountain Rose should have oatstraw. Harmonic Arts for those in Canada. I'm sure there are other good herb companies that carry oatstraw as well.

This is a link to the Herbal Academy for a blog article on Milky Oats and Oatstraw. How to grow and how & when to harvest both. https://theherbalacademy.com/oats-benefits-getting-to-know-avena-sativa/

I'm sure you could find oat seed at almost any garden/farm store.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

Any tips on destressing are always welcome! Thanks for sharing ❤

Sure @annbeck62. I found it in the book I have by Maria Noel Groves, "Body into Balance, An Herbal Guide to Holistic Self-Care."

It's been a wonderful help in learning more about herbalism and how I can use herbs to heal my body. The recipe name is: Nettle-Oat Chai. And my husband and I only drink this chai anymore. The bagged stuff from the store just doesn't compare and seems devoid of any flavor now.

In 2 cups water add

1 slice astragulus root

1/2 teaspoon ashwagandha root

1/2 teaspoon Chaga mushroom/powder

1/2 teaspoon cordyceps mushroom/powder (It called for codonopsis root but thought it said cordyceps, use same amount)🤦

1 heaping teaspoon nettles

1 teaspoon oat straw

1 teaspoon rolled or quick oats

1 teaspoon rooibos tea, yerba mate or black tea (If you can use black tea just add it in the last few minutes or it will make it overly bitter)

1 pinch powdered or cut/sifted licorice root

1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg

5 whole cloves

1-3 slices of fresh ginger root (I add extra. I love ginger)😊

3 cardamon pods, cracked

2 cinnamon sticks

1 whole star anise

maple syrup

cream or milk

Bring water and herbs to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Strain and add maple syrup and milk. Enjoy.

I have tried using honey instead of maple syrup and it's just not the same. I only add a touch of maple syrup and I can't eat dairy so I use almond milk. I of course make a bigger batch but try to drink it all within 36 hours. I've learned to make "batches" of the dried herbs in canning jars so that it's easier to make. All I add are the water and fresh ginger root and pour the premeasured herbs into the pot.

Maria Noel Groves mentions to play around with the recipes in her book to make them your own. So don't feel like you have to stick to this list by any means. I obviously didn't.😊 If you don't have one of the ingredients but have something else that could work try that.

I hope you get the chance to try it.

Please let me know what you think, @annbeck62.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Thank you for sharing and for naming the book it's from. I have to laugh, I have that same book! I agree it's a great book. I've made other teas in the book but hadn't discovered that one yet. I have most of the ingredients already so I'm gonna try it. So glad you recommended it.

It's also a reminder to me to go back through the books I already have - kind of like shopping in the back of your closet :)

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I so get that @JennyT . I also have too many books, papers, etc to keep up with them. One of my main goals for the year is to maximize what I have, and that includes knowing what I have. Today I am working on that. It's good to know others have the same issues. :)

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Always can use another remedy for stress. Thank you @torey for the link to buy seed and thank you @JennyT for your herbal chai recipe.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I've found Oat straw in some local grocery stores in the bulk section. A couple of years back some of my friends had planted oat and shared the straw with a group of us along with the milky oats. Very nice mild flavor even as a strong decoction.

@Shay @ TGN Thank you Shay for pointing that out and providing the link.😊

• norabelehcim
    norabelehcim Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I have also seen barley straw

• Torey

@norabelehcim I have never heard of medicinal uses of barley straw before. Could you expand on that?