Farmers Markets

I love Farmers Markets. Between healthy fresh and sometimes unique verries and fruits you have a place to meet, exchange ideas and grow as a person.

We have two relatively close and up by the lakes there are numerous farmers market for tourists and summer travelers.

For a bit out markets suffered with new regulations but seem to have bounced back but we could still use more fresh produce in small towns and a year round farmers market would be wonderful. Bigger cities see to have then but even the small town could with indoor locations and people participating that produce meat, cheese, greens etc..

I would love to have a year round farmers market here and have plans for one on the property if zoning isn't too restrictive.

Do you have many farmers markets and what do you like about yours?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both farmeres market I participate in have live music for at least an hour. It adds atmosphere to the event.

• There are two types in my town. One is the regular market Wednesday and Saturday with greens, meat, fish, eggs, artisan bread, cut flowers and in the summer plants

The other market has more or less the same but with a lot of vendors you can get taste samples and some more vendors with food and street food. This market is in the evening.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

The city where I live usually hosts a weekend farmers market during the summer months. They did not run this past summer over health concerns. Sadly, most of the vendors are not farmers and do not sell produce. We often see people selling sweets, jars of salsa, handmade jewelry, homemade bath bombs, etc. I have been to several farmers markets that are amazing in other parts of the state.

• Monek Marie

When I lived in Rochester NY they had a year round farmers market. I loved it!

Thye had plants, veggies, fruit, meat and so many homestead items. I remember my first trip there then I saw hanging pigs. We dontl have anything close to that here but I would love it if we did.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are three near me (one in the City I live in) and what I love about them is the ability to shop local farmers and vendors plus it was at my local Farmer's Market that I learned about Plutos which I love and now have my own tree.

• Monek Marie

@Lisa K Its amazing what you can learn at a farmers market

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Lisa K I am very curious. What is a Plutos? I googled it but the only things that came up were the planet and Disney's Pluto.

• Lisa K

@Denise Grant I totally agree 😄

@torey they are a cross between plums (75%) and apricots (25%).

• Monek Marie

Now I need another tree. Notice the word need not want ;)

I have planned on putting in a food forest this summer sop its a good time to find one.

• Lisa K

Oops @torey, @silvertipgrizz is correct, my dyslexia kicked in!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

As far as I know we only have them in the summer but I love fresh fruits and vegetables right from the source :).

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Thanks for the clarification. I have never seen these at any of the garden centres in my area. I will have to do some research.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a indoor farmers market here year round and they sell many local items as well as produce, plus milk and cheese from local farms. Then during the year from about April/May to October/November there is one on Main St downtown on Saturday morning. It usually has many different types of venders but because of the craziness of this past year there was about half the vendors and it was all produce, meat or bread. I'm hoping it will be more like it was this year. I loved getting up early and going down there. It was one of my happy places to be. I sorely miss it.😊

• Monek Marie

I have several very different veggies and fruits this year. One reason is I am doing a farmers market again. If things go as I plan it will be on my property so not as much work as dragging all those items to a local market. It gives me a chance to experiment with new ideas too.

I thought adding different fruits ad veggies (carefully chosen) and having cut flower would make a nice selection. And if my plans turn out there will be indoor space and a possibility for year round sales. Our growinf season makes a year round market more challenging but when I lived in Rochester NY they had a year round and I loved it. Such character!