Is Your Wild Rice Really Wild?

Here is an interesting article about wild rice, along with a course that can be taken. The information is US based.

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Excellent article @LaurieLovesLearning! Thanks for posting. I will pay much closer attention to the brands of wild rice that I buy. I didn't realize that they were growing "wild" rice in paddies.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I think it would be really interesting to throw some wild rice into a lake or smaller body of water here to grow for ourselves (there are many tiny and large bodies of water in MB starting just north of here), but knowing now that it is heated to dry probably makes the seed inactive. I wonder if the hull needs to be intact as well.

If I could find some viable truly wild seed, I would certainly try it.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Great article and makes me rethink what I see listed as wild rice in the stores here.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a place on the property I plan to grow rice. I have just been trying to source real (native) rice.

@LaurieLovesLearning It seems to me I have heard of people growing rice in your climate. Let me check on that

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning

This company doesn't say that it sells seed but might be a contact to try to find a supplier. They have two locations; Narol and The Pas. https://www.wildmanricing.ca/

This company says it has seeds and that they need to be planted shortly after harvest as they don't have a long viability. So it might be tricky getting seed at exactly the right time for planting. https://www.eatwildrice.ca/wild-rice-seed/

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I live close to two native American areas. I may see what they have to say. I know they save their heritage seeds

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited February 2021

Yes, it is naturally wild harvested far north of here. It is quite protected by certain people groups there and no non-native folks are allowed to harvest it in their areas is my understanding.

@torey, I will have to check your sources. I suspect the second one is how I might have to go.

We don't have the bodies of water on our tiny property, but know some folks who have lots. If we need still water, I could easily find that. A lake...yep, a spring fed stream/body of water...I can find that too.

I am appreciating the growing information on the second site!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Excellent! This was very interesting and informative... the difference in color between a gas flame and a wood fire - wow... I'm looking forward to trying authentic wood fire parched wild rice when I can!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited February 2021

@happy-trails I know! I thought that in itself was eye-opening. I would love to taste the fire parched rice. I bet its a beautiful experience! I bet you'd never go back to using the other.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

My husband can't eat regular rice because he is diabetic and it raises his blood sugar too high. So he really likes "wild" rice which doesn't seem to spike his blood sugar. So this is very useful information. I will definitely check the source from now on.