Of all the things to argue over: emojis & skinny jeans

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,561 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft That's the truth...what I mean by that is, wouldn't we all?

I wear whatever is comfy now. Skinny jeans, not so much. Even when I was younger, I preferred bootcut. Skinny jeans just don't go over cowboy boots very well. I know it depends where you are from if pant legs go over or into boots, though. I don't like the feel of pants inside my boots. We have that enough in the times of snow & mud.

Our teen girl is not a skinny jean lover. Emojis...I don't think she cares what is in with those as she is not on social media and I really doubt that her friends care either. I will have to ask her later as she is gone off gallivanting with her oldest sister today. Thankfully, online popularity isn't part of her or her friends' world, like so many of us & our teens.

It is so good to have kids that are connected to the real world instead of always living in the competitive, opinionated and often deceptive virtual one. They are much more settled and happy.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,482 admin

My most recently ex-ed-girfriend was 20... I think she just turned 21, but I've never been good with dates. I was very pleased that she used complete sentences even in texting, disliked emojis and wore regular, good old fashioned blue jeans. While there probably is not much hope of me dating someone half my age again... maybe there is hope for the future... but then, as @LaurieLovesLearning has pointed out, I seem to attract loons and nuts!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I must have missed a conversation because I thought loons and nuts were part of your back to nature food supply.

• judsoncarroll4

Nah, I'm too far south for loons.... we have coots.... but in the words of Frank Sinatra, "I don't swing that way baby!" ;-p

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

OMG @judsoncarroll4 you go guy!!!! I was doing the math in my head with the first sentence...

• judsoncarroll4

Of course, what you were too polite to say is , "This is why I will never invite you to meet my family...."

• Marjory Wildcraft
    edited February 2021

Nooo, no,no no no. Ask my kids - they will tell you that Mom has crazy crazy friends. In fact I'm not sure anyone in my circle is "normal". Nope, no one. LOL

Uh, can you still do LOL's?

Oh who cares, I'll do it anyway.

*Laurie edits*: (Yep, I edited for your abbreviation above...not the LOL, @Marjory Wildcraft, haha! I've got...what? you say...😉) By the way, "lol" is still acceptable, so they say, at least for now. I think rofl is not though...I don't remember & am too lazy to re-read that article.

• judsoncarroll4

I'm sure we'll meet up sometime, as much as you travel. Just let me know in advance so I can barbecue a pig or a bear.

• Marjory Wildcraft

well heck, I'll head out now! That sounds delicious.

Uh, Judson, where do you live again?

Yeah, you never know my schedule has become like water...

• judsoncarroll4

Okay, but now you know you have to bring along single young women to introduce me to..... then I put on the feast! 😜 Seriously though, if you are ever in the mountains of NC, drop me a line. I brew good beer and smoke some seriously good meat. I take about 75% of my food from the wild.... lots of trout and mushrooms, wild greens, blackberries, ramps and game... flocks of turkeys and black bears all around.... no worries about food supply here!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who thinks plants wink at them is definitely an unusual friend.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I think this is such a fun group. Thanks for the smiles. I love the banter. Dare I use an emoji to express my amusement? 😁 (I think these are still okay too...)

I am hoping that I can go south again one day. I am not so sure if I will ever get overseas now with all that govts talk about.

But, I bet I could have a grand US vehicle tour, stopping all over to meet everyone. I bet it would take a lot of time as I would have a lot of area to cover! Now wouldn't that be something? I would give each of you a huge hug too.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

We need a Grow Network driving tour! Count me in.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning, I agree about the boot jeans. Someone told me my jeans were horribly out of style. My response was, "I don't care what the style is, I care what's comfortable." I'm getting more like my mother every day. 😬 😂

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I love this thread and think to myself, I've found my tribe! Is that still a saying? Hah! @LaurieLovesLearning when you visit the midwest, come stay with us. Skinny jeans and leggings are mostly all I wear right now because they are comfortable. I try to get a size or two larger than I normally wear so they aren't so constricting. I also love bootleg jeans and straight-leg jeans. I have bad memories of flared leg or elephant leg jeans😱....was I really that clumsy as a teenager?

@judsoncarroll4 my dad was 20 years older than my mom, they had me when he was 54, she was 34 and they were married for 30 some happy years. 😊

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 You are reaching out via TGN. You could also try volunteer work to make more people connections.

I am starting a new volunteer effort in support of veterans. Most of my family lives far away. I need to make more human connections in my retirement.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

I have to be comfy and skinny jeans are so not comfy. How can I bend over to work in the garden in them?

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Maybe we should start some sort of fashion counter culture group where we only wear what is out of style and comfortable. That's a group I can identify with!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭

Technically I'm gen z I think. I hate side parts, despise skinny jeans but love the laugh-cry emoji. I don't care if it's not cool anymore haha😂

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Back that thang up!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I'm definitely all about comfortable. When I was young, many years ago, my girl friends favorite form of torcher was wearing high heels. I did it some times but as rarely as possible. It didn't take me long to decide that I much preferred sensible shoes and comfort to stylish.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Comfy all the way! Yes, I'm right there with you. With not being able to try on clothing before I buy even at second hand stores...and not having to go out much, I'm wearing more of the loose, comfy sweatpants (I found nice warm & thick ones, warm like a blanket), and soft pajama pants! Yep. I went there. I'm just at home anyway! Mind you, when I go out, I still wear boot cut jeans. Pajama pants would look strange with a proper shirt. Haha

Side parts...yes. I don't look good split in two.

Skinny jeans...no. My others are tight enough now, I think. I don't need to accentuate it. 🤔 😬 It doesn't hurt to have a bit of stretchy, however either. My oldest teen wears loose fitting dresses or leggings & just today really complained about wearing some skinny jeans. 😆

You know I love the emojis. What can I say? I wish we had some other cool ones to choose from. I would have suggestions for a few if those were possible here.

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I can wear the jeans but my belly covers the top.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Well, I am the perpetually "skinny" one but I don't usually wear the tight skinny jeans 'cuz I am not young and I dislike everyone's butts being right out there in view at all times. Lately, I've been tempted to wear a pair of blue sparkle jeans to a club if the karaoke comes back. That would be to celebrate the extra 10 pounds I lost being sick recently. Always, a silver lining...