Lesson 5: How to Make a Decoction of Oak Bark

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

My salivary glands were puckering and drying up just listening to you talk about oak! :)

We don't have any oak here. There are small stands of Garry Oak on Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands, parts of the south coast and along the coast of the Pacific Northwest states but nothing anywhere near me.

So I have to use other things for treating diarrhea. Although, I suppose I could purchase some of the oak chips they sell at the U-brews to flavour homemade wine.

Do you have cramp bark growing near you? Viburnum opulus or V. edule? I think you have V. prunifolium. Either of the first two are really good for any kind of cramping. I am not as familiar with the use of Black Haw. I think it is more for menstrual related cramps.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Wow, no oaks? I can't imagine not being surrounded by like a dozen different types of oak! Seriously, just out the door... white oak, red oak, blackjack oak, water oak, pin oak, live oak, etc, etc. I'll have to send you a box of bark sometime. A little goes a long way. The wood is our main barbecue fuel, although hickory, cherry and pecan are used for flavor. Yes on viburnum, in fact I'll be planting some next month.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

PS. Dig the shirt!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Awesome!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

We have Burr Oak, and only in sandy areas here. We have none right outside our door. My grandparents had lots where they were.

It's a bit late, so I'll have to listen another day, but I noticed your shirt immediately. ✔