Fixing a Have a Heart trap

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in Tools, Hardware, & Machines

My one Have a Heart trap is broken. I would like to fix it.

I do not have the proper terminology for the parts but I promise not to use do hickey and thing-a-mabob. (this is my go to terminology)

The part of the trap that is triggered by weight and held up by a metal hook has rusted by the holes where the metal attaches. So I can not set it without replacing this part. I could probably have family make me a piece or order one.

Has anyone ever had to replace this? The rest of the trap is in great shape. I had a large raccoon kind of abuse it so it rusted while setting.

With my Raccoon and Mink issue I have to have a few of these on hand.

Comments

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Have a Heart does not offer replacement parts that I am aware of. I am unsure of exactly what is rusted, the trigger plate the animal steps on or the hook to hold the door open until triggered. A picture may help in this situation, but I am sure with a little ingenuity you will be able to fix it.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@gardneto76 Its the trigger plate, thank you.

I am sure if a measurement it taken and I can get someone to cut me a piece it can be replaced. They cost to much just to toss. ( I'd find another use for it anyways)

It won't be long before the predators come out in full force. I like to keep a step ahead of them when I can.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I have seen them listed for sale on line. We have Next door, Market place, Craigslist and the like around here. If you cannot fix it, maybe used is a good option.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

What is a have a heart trap?

• Monek Marie

@nicksamanda11 its a box trap that is supposed to not hurt whatever it catches so you can release it. Its more humane that traps that catch something by catching its leg or breaking bones.