Valentines Day Recipes

What are your favorite valentines day recipes and treats? Any traditions?

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy Cakes (AKA Wacky cakes)

Here is a site with recipes for 11 different varieties.

https://www.the11best.com/crazy-cake-recipes/

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier That is amazing! It looks so good!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2021

We usually make whole grain sugar cookies & decorate with either a beet juice concentrate or very strong hibiscus tea to color our glaze. We avoid artificial colors here. The hibiscus tastes flowery, so is preferable.

We do both white & pink hearts, but my favorite look was drizzling the opposite colors of glaze on the cookies.

In the past, we have shared ours with our judo club (kids & adults). This year we can't as the club is nor meeting. 😕

We have had many complements on the cookies. People say they taste quite different than what they are used to. 🤷‍♀️ I know they aren't as sweet as most sugar cookies out there. I have used the recipe for so long, I have no idea if it is a reduced sugar recipe. We reduce sugar by at least 1/2 in most of our recipes. There is also the slight nutty flavor from the fresh ground wheat that shines through. The cookies are 100% fresh whole grain.

@naomi.kohlmeier I think that now you have to share that recipe. 😄 If you do choose to share, put in in baking and leave a link to it on this thread.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

chocolate Texas sheet cake yummmmm

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier oh your cake is beautiful... I too am waiting for your recipe if you decide to share..

• COWLOVINGIRL

@silvertipgrizz What is a texas sheet cake? It sounds really good!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

Chocolate covered strawberries are a favorite! I usually buy them though rather than make them because no joke when I try the chocolate slides off and puddles on the tray 😂

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

My recipe for the Raspberry Walnut Torte is over in Baking https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/846202/raspberry-walnut-torte/p1?new=1

Thank you @monica197, @COWLOVINGIRL, @LaurieLovesLearning and @silvertipgrizz for the kind comments.

• COWLOVINGIRL

@karenjanicki try making sure they are perfectly dry. That might help

• COWLOVINGIRL

@naomi.kohlmeier Thank you for the recipe!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited February 2021

Well... I've never been married, and have a knack for getting dumped just prior to Feb 14.... But, for myself, I like to broil (since it is too cold to grill this time of year) a thick T-bone or porter house, drench it in butter and blu cheese, along with oysters roasted in the shell. Creamed spinach (from scratch, of course) topped with bacon goes well on the side. A very hearty red zinfandel or sangiovese goes well with that. Cherries flambé with brandy and home made vanilla ice cream, with some Ghirardelli chocolate chips tossed on while the cherries are still hot enough to melt them is a good dessert. I usually watch Moonstruck and identify with Nicholas Cage's character a bit too much. I'm lonely, but I eat well!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

My divorce was final on February 14th 2003. I'm not saying my ex planned it that way, but that's the date on the paperwork. It was 3 days before what would have been our 25th anniversary.

In retrospect, it was the best Valentine's Day or anniversary gift he ever gave me.

I make it a point to buy myself some good chocolate, fix something special or treat myself to something that I don't usually get just for me. Sometimes I invite my single girlfriends over for what I like to call my annual "Guinevere Was An Idiot" film festival. I like to share my favorite romantic movie, which is "The Terminator".

I've always thought that Michael Biehn was pretty hot, and I love a guy who tells the girl that he came across time for her...plus he's willing to fight Arnie and take a bullet on her behalf.

I also like "RED", which has 2 pretty sweet romantic relationships. I'm especially fond of the Helen Mirren/Brian Cox opposing spies in love plot line ("...when I woke up with three bullets in my chest I knew she loved me...")

I guess I'm a little jaded, but it works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JZ_moituIo

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any traditions per se, but I do usually manage something chocolatey. Some years I've gotten together with my girl friends for a Galentines day. If not, just share some chocolate with my Mom. Here's probably her favorite chocolate recipe. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-14478 I usually reduce the sugar a bit.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I think I'll just crawl in a hole and try to miss this one. I seem to be experiencing a bit of a malaise anyway... or as we say around here, "my give-a-damn is busted".

• norabelehcim
    norabelehcim Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

It seems that in Japan they have two Valentine's days -- one for women, one for men. Chocolate, strawberries, fluffy white frosting are popular there (among so many other delicious things) as well.

• COWLOVINGIRL

@norabelehcim Interesting! I've never heard of that!

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

We have a local farm that offered a special meal box for Valentine's Day.

• COWLOVINGIRL

@tilathehunn That's cool! What was in the box?