Joyful gardening

SuperC
SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

At this link, we can learn about gardening. The course is free. February 15 through February 22.

JoyfulGardenerDocuseries.com

episode one is Making the most of your local climate. This is packed with tips, ideas, planting beds, crop placement, and group regions

a second link: growyourownvegetables.org

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am watching this. I try to catch all her classes. She has great ideas and has taught me a lot over the years.

I also need a good garden fix right now with our up and down weather. Thank you for posting @SuperC

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much @SuperC! I'm going to watch these!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Stacey's classes too. Day one was fun. I'm looking forward to day two which should be available in a few minutes.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Oh thank you for sharing! I'm always open to learning new things in the garden.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I missed today’s class. I hope there is a replay! Need to go check my email 🤣

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting this!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I really like survival gardener too. David the good.

• Monek Marie

@gardneto76 there is a reply and your zone determines how long you can watch it. I am eastern so I can watch until 1 pm tomorrow

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much! This will help me understand my new region of the US as I retire in the next few months!

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just listened to today's lesson. I love that she takes into consideration the other hemisphere.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I think I know what we'll be watching this weekend. My husband will love this!

• Monek Marie

I am just getting ready to watch todays episode. Small Plot growing and packing in plants. One of my favorite garden topics

• Michelle D

@Denise Grant you will love it. It is a topic I enjoy very much also. I have to confess. When she talked about the student that over did it and had way to much...that may have been me last year.

Also, the part about buying seeds in bulk, definitely up our alley 😉

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@Michelle D I always overdue my veggies. One reason is in case I have a weather or animal issue. The other is I raise food to give away.

But I do like to organize the garden and save time in any way I can. And still have a fun garden. I garden for fun, exercise and healthy food

Seeds? Too many seeds?

• gardneto76

Ever time I hear Stacey talk about planting more in less space, I evaluate how much wasted space I have in my garden. I need to fill some empty spaces now as my edible “weeds” are filling in around my veggies.

I just don’t know if I can broadcast seeds like she does. Everything in my OCD just screamed watching that part. It just seems like way to much, but I lightly broadcast every few weeks to a month in the less dense areas for succession planting.

• Monek Marie

@gardneto76 I don't broadcast like she does but I pack my plants in. Less weeding! Actually no weeding

I enjoy Stacys videos and classes

• SuperC
    edited February 2021

@gardneto76 Stacy lived in a tiny apartment in N.Y., thus the reason that she talks heavily on “planting more in less space.”

Each of your posts tickle me with joy!

Question: How do, for example, squash vine borers know when to become lively to be attracted to plants’ roots within the soil to inflict harm to the plant/s?

I mean, does the plant produce some sort of sexual energy magnetic vibration?

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have been watching this too. It has so much useful information. I have caught all the episodes so far. It is a short enough lesson each day that I can watch it even if I have a busy day.

• gardneto76

@SuperC yeah I have been watching her videos/classes for years. I remember a few about her gardening in other peoples yards because she didn’t have one to garden it. ❤️ How she explained how she was super busy with work, the had to ride her bike over on Saturdays to tend her garden and still raised enough for her, the family’s yard she used, and had extra. He drive is amazing. I was raised with traditional rows in a garden and it is a great reminder every time I hear to pack the garden full. I seem to get that message every time I need it.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Love Stacey and enjoy all her videos and series. I always end up with a ton of new things to implement to make my garden be more successful.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

I grew up with the family that grew in long single rows. My niece is just getting in to gardening and she asked "How far do you plant cabbage plants apart?" My brother, "Two foot apart in rows 3 foot apart." I just kept quiet, After all he is my older brother and won't listen anyways. (Later I sent her a proper ;) planting guide.

I think it was square foot gardening that got me packing plants in. It makes sense because there is a lot less soil, walking and watering.

@SuperC Are we going to see you in a viral squash vibration dance? It seems to me if you reverse the vibration it would chase those squash bugs away ;)

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

I really liked one of Stacys remarks about was getting people to help you.

Besides everyone needing a helping hand, its a great way to share information and produce, learn from others and get more interest in gardening.

The point that really hit home was, if you have help, you have a system set up to help you if you need to take a vacation or even if you get ill or have a surprise event that really drains time.

Last year I had an emergency trip to Georgia and will probably have one here again soon. I started getting help lined up a week before but it was still tough and the quality of help was not too good, but everything lived and I did find the missing chicken.

I now have 4 people lined up and they help with a variety of projects. I do pay and I also barter. I still need help with construction but I may have someone to help with that too

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

Loved the irrigation video. I think I will have to add this to ther garden design. We don't have to water here much but I do remember some summers when we got a drought where I felt like I should just move the bed in to the garden

It was much cheaper to set up than I thought it would be.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was signed up for it, but had some things come up and lesson 7 will be the first one I actually get to watch. Hoping there will be a replay. This will be my first with her, but sounds like I need to find more of her classes.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Missed a couple days. Hoping they run a replay weekend. Great stuff!

• SuperC

Oh my goodness! Wrap the cabbage leaves with clothespins so the sun stays out allowing the cabbage to grow. And, to eat all of those amazing green leaves, and broccoli ones too. Oh my!

I learned about bolting. I had oregano do that last year yet after clipping off the bolts, it kept growing. I have two plants of oregano, and actually harvested it three times then dried it all filling two coffee cans. Yummy

Edible flowers

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, this episode was so rich in information. I took several hours taking notes! Learned how much I don't know and have been doing wrong (or could just do better). Super exciting!

• Monek Marie

Yesterdays class was so good! I knew water made tomatoes split but I never thought of going out before a rain and picking them to prevent this.

Just lots of great tips. I watched it twice. Now on to todays.

I'm dragging today. We are supposed to get a break in this late weather and snow, so I wake up to a fresh 3 inches of snow and sideways winds. Sigh.... Not what I wanted. I picked up my spirits with a elderberry slush, made a killer dessert for later and I'll top it off with one online class, my favorite seed catalog and starting a few really rare seeds I have. (theses ones I am babying to make sure they germinate)

Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow.

• Michelle D

I just finished watching the last episode. I loved this series. I think my favorite take away from today's segment is the idea of changing your mindset and focus to prevention instead of chasing the problem.

• Monek Marie

@Michelle D Yes, I enjoyed that aspect of todays video too.

It was a great series