White Willow Bark as a Tincture?

shllnzl
shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some powdered white willow bark. I am now wondering if it would be a good idea to make a tincture with it? I'm thinking that it would be easier to take it that way instead of mixing the powder with water.

Has anyone used it as a tincture?

I may also tincture some eucalyptus powder for the same reason.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I have made willow tincture but not from a powder. I was using the bark. My recommendation is to put it is capsules. It is so tannic and astringent that even I (with my love of bitter, tannic things) have a really hard time taking. Most people won't after their first taste. The tea is equally as dreadful. When I suggest using willow now, I will suggest it as a capsule.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl Do you have any white willow in your area you can harvest?

I agree with @torey about using it in capsules

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have wild harvested willow bark and made tincture with it. Need to re-supply myself. Bitter as all get out, but a few drops in water or a drink. I really don't think tea is a great option for willow.

• shllnzl

@torey @Denise Grant @marjstratton Thanks for the info, everyone.

I took a small bit of the powder straight on my tongue without too much taste whiplash, so any way should work for me. Capsules are under consideration for others.

I will keep some of the powder for emergency use for possible heart attack. I have seen powdered aspirin sold for that purpose. I also have cayenne tincture available.

I have some small volunteer cottonwood trees that I can't seem to kill off that might work the same way as willow. I probably should strip the bark off the next pruning.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@shllnzl If you have cottonwood trees, harvest the spring buds. They are an excellent way to use the medicinal properties. The bark does contain salicylates but willow is generally considered a better source.

• shllnzl

@torey Thanks for the advice.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I personally hate taking pills so will generally avoid it if possible! That is why I like making tinctures.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I made tincture from my willow bark but when I use it for a remedy it is usually combined with others that cut down on the bitter/tannic taste.