Bloomberg: The World Will Pay More For Meat As Food Inflation Deepens

Yikes!!! It's happening... the price of corn and soy translates to higher meat prices... THey forgot to mention eggs too.

Bloomberg Feb. 16th

There are signs that the food inflation that’s gripped the world over the past year, raising prices of everything from shredded cheese to peanut butter, is about to get worse.

The Covid-19 pandemic upended food supply chains, paralyzing shipping, sickening workers that keep the world fed and ultimately raising consumer grocery costs around the globe last year. Now farmers -- especially ones raising cattle, hogs and poultry -- are getting squeezed by the highest corn and soybean prices in seven years. It’s lifted the costs of feeding their herds by 30% or more. To stay profitable, producers including Tyson Foods Inc. are increasing prices, which will ripple through supply chains and show up in the coming months as higher price tags for beef, pork and chicken around the world.

Tagged:

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so it begins.

It is so important to get more people to be self sufficient. I would love to see nutrition and self sufficientcy taught in school.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2021

Yes, self sufficient and not use corn or soy (two of the most highly messed with, sprayed & unhealthy crops) in the feed.

These are meant to fatten quickly. They are not there to add nutrition to meat. They are also considered the least expensive and easiest to obtain "food" source, thus that's why they are so prevalent in the feed...and in pretty much all kinds of human & pet "foods".

Neither makes for flavorful meat anyway. The way we look at it here, if there's no flavor, there is also no nutrition. It is just an empty stomach filler.

Not to worry, lab grown meat won't require either of these. Help is on it's way. 🙄

Grow your own or source it well.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

I rarely use corn. Its a waste as far as I am concerned. On a really cold night I have given animals a bit but there are other products that are better,

Lab meat, ewwwww :(

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Learn how to forage- then it's right there for you! Kind of free- still takes alot of hard work but totally worth it😊

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Guinea pigs and rabbits can be raised indoors and fed very cheaply.

• Monek Marie

I keep my quail in the basement

Grow your own feed for your animals or pair up with a neighbor to help you grow.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buckle up, folks. Life will be getting scary.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

So glad I'm not reliant on Tyson (or any of the multinational corporations) for any of my food supply.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hey @Denise Grant hey, that's so cool about the quil in your basement. About how many birds to dyou have? Are you rasising for meat, eggs, or both? Are you growing fodder to supplment thier feed? Just curious about your system.

Could I bug you to start a thread "How To Raise Quail In A Basement" and show some pics! Please tag me ont he thread as I want to follow along the discussion... (uh, if you didn't have enought to do already - but seriously this is important information to share.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@Marjory Wildcraft Right now I only have 5. I retired some recently and will be adding fresh blood to my lines in about a month.

I raise Quail for both. It is the perfect size meat for a small family and great for large family dinners. My 5 quail give me around 17 to 20 eggs a week. They take very little time to care for so great for a busy family. They are also great bartering material or extra income for selling them.

I'll be getting about 100 here soon and will sort out my breeders from those and keep those. The rest will be sold or butchered I usually like to have about 30 on hand. I'll hatch out new birds with my new lines sometime later.

For those who are not familiar with Quail they start laying at 7 or 8 weeks and can be butchered at 9 to 12 weeks. So its a fast source of food.

I will be growing fodder for them this year. This is my year for adding food sources to my property. Food costs for animals are only going up and there are too many additives in bagged food to please me.

The wonderful thing about Quail is they take so little space. They actually thrive in smaller pens. The only real disadvantage they have is if they get loose getting them again is almost impossible. Indoor quail housing gets rid of this issue.

Lol, Marjorie, I went to RIT. My first day of class my professor announced that the real world had 24 hours to a day but at RIT you will need 27 - find them. So this is why I get done what I do, those extra 3 hours each day. ;)

I will tackle this next week. I am adding 5 new goats to the property this weekend (one is expecting) and somehow I have to get up that one greenhouse I need. The snow is not co-operating

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I agree it would be amazing if self sufficiency was taught in schools!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 I would be happy if they brought back some version of Home Economics or even a life skills class.

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl Definitely a life skills class.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly think they want everyone to be vegan. This could be a way to increase prices in meat so much that most people cannot afford it. I also think they want to do away with all small farms :(.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@Denise Grant tag me in the thread as well. I currently raise chickens but am open to new things!

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I saw a video about that lab grown meat. It was really odd looking, like an ice cream cake made out of beef. I might try it though. Frankly, it's a better alternative to me than eating insects, which is the other thing they are pushing these days. :-)

• Monek Marie

@naomi.kohlmeier Quail are actually very easy to raise. I'll tag you too

• And if you take out the subsidies for corn and soy the price gets even higher.

@Denise Grant love the idea of quails. Debating with family about this as chickens are not an option due to space constraints.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

It seems as farmers may suffer as costs rise for feed, selling livestock, and all other costs. Purchase a CSA this upcoming season with a local farmer, where available. I do each season, farmers need our help.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or lab non-meat...

I'm not sure which is weirder, lab meat or lab non-meat.

I prefer to make my own bean burgers from black beans, eggs, whole oats, grated cheese, onion, and a big of Cajun spice mix. Tastes great, has excellent texture, and although we are not vegetarians my husband and I actually prefer these to the typical hamburger made from factory beef.

• VermontCathy

A graph of the percentage of income that was spent on food in the US, measured over many decades, shows a very clear and steady fall across the entire 20th century, with only occasional blips upward.

Part of the problem today is that we expect food to be cheap. We expect that very little of our income will be spent on food, that most of our income is discretionary and can be spent on toys other useful items.

Part of the problem is that the cost of buying or renting a place to live has skyrocketed, especially in areas where jobs are plentiful.

Part of the problem is that healthcare costs have exploded, taking a larger and larger share of GDP in developed nations.

Perhaps it's time to be willing to spend a little more on food and a little less on other things. But to do that, we have to solve the rent/buy/mortgage cost and healthcare cost problems.

In the meantime, grow your own food. It's cheap and healthy. 😊

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

The food we buy, while cheaper cost wise, is also cheaper nutritionally - to the point where there isn't anything in it anymore. I have always paid the price for higher quality food. To me, my logic was pay now, or pay later with penalties and interest (like hospitals, disease, and loss of enjoyment of life). Plus high quality food tastes better! SO enjoy now!

And, a lot of people are used to the cheap prices not realizng the true cost they are paying.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so glad my husband and I raise a majority of our food now. I remember when that was not possible in my life. I bought the cheap food not because I didn't know the long term cost vs the higher initial cost of buying the good stuff but because at the time... if I had $20 or $30 to buy groceries, get soap or detergent as I was washing clothes in my bathtub because I couldn't afford to go to the laundromat and still had to put fuel in the vehicle so I could get to work. The cheap stuff was all I could do.

I know many folks don't think about the nutrition only the convenience or price, but it is not always the case. Sometimes you just have to stretch your pennies so far they squeak in order to keep bills paid and so on. I thank God I no longer have to do that. My husband and I live very simply and have cut almost all "normal" bills out of our lives. No movies, rarely go out to eat, and so on. Our biggest "extra" is the internet.

• VermontCathy

The good news is that the good food can be quite cheap if you buy it as ingredients and do your own cooking. When you stop paying for convenience, you save some $$$ that can be spent on better food ingredients.

I have two pizzas in the oven right now, using crust that I made from scratch using flour, yeast, etc. They are delicious! No need to buy frozen pizzas.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Yep. Really hate the way we are going

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

So @Denise Grant, one question comes to mind. Quail sound like really prolific layers, but how many eggs does is take to make an omelet? Still sound like a really cool idea to raise quail in the basement. I can bet that if they were outside and got out of their enclosure, that they would be practically impossible to catch, except for the predators.

We used to have a pet rabbit that we kept in the basement. I would definitely change the setup if I were to actually raise rabbits. Although I have learned that rabbits really do better outside even if in cages. I really like the idea of a rabbit yard like Marjory shows. Would still be a little leery of the local predators.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

@Denise Grant

Wow, fascinating! I'd love to be tagged as well, if you do plan to write that post! Thank you so much.

• Monek Marie

@happy-trails I am working on it today.Finally an almost calm day. lol

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@marjstratton It takes a lot of eggs to make an omelet, but they lay well.

My favorite way to use them is boiled. They are a one or two size bite. They also pickle really fast and easy.

Yes, if they get loose outside, you never see them again. When I had them outdoors they were in a double pen so I could get them.

MY rabbits prefer to be out. But I am a cooler climate and they like cold. I have them in very secure pens and keep a good eye on them. The predators go after the chickens first! I like Marjories rabbit yard too. I need to redo my rabbit area and have thought of this

Right now I have my rabbit in pens but also in a long kennel of one more layer of protection. And I have ducks on the ground under them right now. In winter that is ok but will not work in warmer weather. The ducks really like this set up