A Wild Ferment, and how to

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

On interesting point about this is that probably don't actually need yeast - wild flowers, fruit and leaves are often covered in wild yeast!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pascal Baudar is amazing. Its been about two years I have followed his writings and recipes

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I think he has a book listed on Amz

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I have his book. It is very inspiring

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Love his book. Inspired me to try ginger beer making and mead like a viking.

The ginger beer isn't alcoholic, we start with our ginger bug and ferment for flavors.

I did make a batch of hard cider using just our honey and the ginger bug as a starter.

I look forward to exploring more beverages 🥂

Thanks for sharing this recipe @silvertipgrizz

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grapes are in season here, so I decided to ferment some wine. I tried it when it was still soda, and it was awesome.

Then I forgot about it. One midnight the sound of what I thought was someone trying to break in woke me up. My bottle had exploded, and fizzing grape juice was everywhere. Oh well. I should probably wait until I have an airlock.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

That is a mistake we all make... once! You can put a balloon or rubber glove over the mouth of the jug if you don't have an airlock.

• Tave

I had heard of using a balloon and forgot about it. I will do that next time. Thanks.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tave With most of my ferments I use a coffee filter and a rubber band to prevent that problem, and of course the potential knats, and so I can gauge the progress by simply smelling through the filter. I'm going to start using either linen scraps or cheese cloth esp for the things that will need to ferment a little longer. I hope it didn't make too big a mess for you..what a pain, ask me how I know 😕

• Tave

@silvertipgrizz I'm very good at making a mess. 😂 I have some airlocks on order but, thanks to COVID, it will be a couple more months before I can get them. I wish I had remembered about balloons before the explosion.