Procrastination anyone?

naomi.kohlmeier
naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Help! I have all my seeds sitting on a shelf waiting to be planted. I enjoy gardening, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to plant anything. Usually I have my seeds in seed trays by February 1st and am growing my seedlings already. The days have been so gray and I have been working long hours, by the time I get home, I eat and then sit on the couch until bedtime. I just keep putting off planting them. I think part of it is that winter is just dragging on and on. Maybe now that I've written this, I'll get busy and just do it.

Comments

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am behind this year in getting seeds started.

Just think of the joy you get from getting those seeds planted and the joy they will add during the spring, summer and fall.

So, what are you planting today? And if thre was one seeds you could have that you don't right now, what would it be?

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier I so hear you. I put in six days a week at work, then come home and cook dinner for the parents. Putting the seeds in in the south window pales in comparison to my crawling under a nice comforter with the cat.

I have 5 roll-over vacation days to use before the end of March, I might try to fit it in on one of those days.

• naomi.kohlmeier

@Denise Grant So i buckled down and planted tomatoes and peppers. At least that part is done!

@RustBeltCowgirl get your rest, girl! Worst case scenario, you have to buy your seedlings! :)

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I'm far behind where I hoped to be. I hear you.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I know. The weather has been so grey in my area too and somewhat discouraging. I have to get my seeds in trays and get them going. Yet, I am way ahead of where I've been in previous years. Like I have actually started planning for this years garden and have been watching a lot of videos to learn more about gardening. Working on it...

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you have a very full plate! Perhaps your are tired too. Procrastination is not the word you need to use. Perhaps rest and a bit off the full plate. I certainly understand your situation. Try not to beat yourself up. Look at the positive. A least you have your seeds ready to go!

It's too early to do any seedlings for spring where I live. But I did get some grow lights set up to plant some greens to eat now. The grow lights are dark and lonely. Got stopped and the motivation vanished. Ugh! Totally understand how you are feeling! Once we get rolling it will feel so very good! All the best with your gardening! The sun will shine soon!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't even received all my seeds yet. One company said they were behind by 30 days with there shipping.

Besides we're putting our house on the market in a month or so, if we even have to do that, there's a young couple at our church that's very interested in buying and they're coming to see it in a couple of weeks. So, I have no place to put trays of seeds at the moment let alone know where we'll end up yet if the house is sold right away. I'm afraid that I won't even get a chance to have a spring garden this year.☹️

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@JennyT There is always a fall or winter garden and even a few pots with plant or two will keep that garden feeling going!

Yes, I'll definitely need to do something in pots that can come with us. Otherwise I'm going to go crazy with not being able to have a little something growing somewhere.😜

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier I am the same, I love it when it is cooler but if it is gray I am not motivated to go outside (yes I am a baby when it comes to the climate). Is there a way you can take a vacation to just enjoy your garden (that is what I used to do until taking time off at my previous job became almost impossible)?

My previous job was so stressful I had no motivation I seemed to always be tired and when I quit that job it took a few months to get my mojo back. I also discovered that when I have to much time on my hands I do not get much done. When I was first laid off from my current job in June I got a lot done then I found myself putting stuff off granted much of the time was during the winter with a lot of cold (to me cold) and gray days, then I was called back to work and now I seem to be getting more done. I seem to do my best when I have a limited time to get things done - weird.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier for me many times it's the getting started that's the hardest part.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

I have to make a list and schedule any more. I don't make it rigid but it seems without a list I don't get the easy simple things done

The schedule is for my brain fog. With a schedule I don't have to think about certain things, they just get started.

Today the weather got me down so I just scratched everything this evening and took a very long walk. Enjoying life has started to be more important to me. It used to be an after thought

• Monek Marie

@monica197 The nice thing about procrastination, you know what you could do the next day, maybe ;)

I understand completely. If I don't make notes for myself I'd never remember. And the weather this winter has made things very tough. The first day there was sunshine in what seemed like weeks I made everyone stop what they were doing, grab their coats and stand outside for a bit. I even told my husband, who works from home, that he needed take a break and get out in the sunshine too.

I believe this past year has taught us some important lessons. And one of them is that self care is important. If we're not properly taking care of ourselves how can we take care of our responsibilities and others in our care.

I'm thrilled that this past week it's been mostly sunny here in SC. I've been making a point to be out in it every day. And I've felt better because of it. Which has helped the procrastination too.😉

• Monek Marie

@JennyT

The sun is out today! I feel so much beter. Yesterday was solid grey and snow. Today will be warm by our NW PA standards and it makes me so happy.

Good for you , getting the family out!

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Playing in the soil is a mood lifter. Maybe breathing in some essential oils can motivate you. A drop of Peppermint on the third eye can work wonders!

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier It's been awhile since you asked the grow light question. Sorry. They are either red light, blue light or both. Can't say how I like them because they are new to me. Still haven't planted anything! Life I so crazy busy! At least lots of other things are getting looked after.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier Planting is fun. I am procrastinating because of the commitment involved in planting, since I need to focus on the best projects to do.

• naomi.kohlmeier

Since I planted my tomatoes and peppers on Feb 21, they have come up like gangbusters! I have already transplanted the seedlings (way to many for my garden) into bigger pots. Can't wait to get tomatoes and peppers off of them!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier Do you start your pepper seeds on a heat mat? which peppers are you growing?

• naomi.kohlmeier

I started my peppers on a heat mat this year. I currently have Jalepeño, california bell, sweet peppers and some serrano peppers. The serrano seeds are maybe 8 years old, so I"m not sure they are viable any more. Time will tell.

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

I use heat mats for my pepper and tomato plants too. It really helps them germinate.

Soaking old seeds before you plant them will help with germination. I have split my old seeds into two groups, soaked one and not the other and the results are amazing

Glad to hear your seedlings are doing so well @naomi.kohlmeier