Herbs that affect the brain/ cognition

Cornelius
Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone, I am trying to pick a topic for a project for my Psychology class. My question is are there any herbs that affect the brain and/or cognition?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rosemary is sometimes referred to as "Remember Me."

I'm sure you are trying to find herbs that improve the brain, unlike drugs, etc.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited February 2021

I forgot to mention all the brain boosting foods. Foods high in Omega 3 fatty acids, foods high in antioxidants and beta-carotenes, foods high in beta-sitosterol.

I know that for some individuals who are becoming more forgetful, when they are under stress it exacerbates the condition. Adaptogens are very helpful for maintaining cognition as well, particularly when under stress.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Many good herbs have already been mentioned. Is there a specific area that you are looking to focus on? Such as improved memory or mental health support?

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, there are many. I have found that devil's club has fairly profound effects. It it the North American answer to Ginseng.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Cornelius I’m assuming you mean positive affects for brain function? I grow and or use gotu kola, lemon balm, sage, turmeric, ashwaganda and rosemary. The ones I grow, I either graze when I’m in the garden or use in cooking. I also use essential oils such as frankincense, peppermint, citrus to inhale to wake me up in the morning, to focus and to feel good! I also drink mushroom tea, Chaga, Lions Mane and Reishi for the same reason. Gut/ brain health go hand in hand. Thanks for posting this interesting thread.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

I would add Gynostemma pentaphyllum, also called Jiaogulan, Sellerie, Basil... and then dark chocolate 😊

• Cornelius

Thank you everyone! I was just doing a broad perspective currently and will narrow in as I continue to work on my project, but beneficial effects are probably the best to focus on.

@torey A study on rosemary would be amazing!

• Torey

@Cornelius

Hope this helps.

Effects of aromatherapy on patients with Alzheimer's Disease. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1479-8301.2009.00299.x#:~:text=Although%20no%20significant%20differences%20were,for%20patients%20with%20moderate%20AD.

Aromas of rosemary and lavender essential oils differentially affect cognitive function and mood in healthy adults. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12690999/

Plasma 1,8-cineole correlates with cognitive performance following exposure to rosemary essential oil aroma. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2045125312436573

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Rhodiola and Holy Basil are a couple more good ones. I really like Jiogulan when I can get it. Oddly enough, grapefruit seems to have some cognitive benefits. I read that Chinese students eat it before studying or exams. I've been doing that ever since I read it whenever I feel a little foggy. And don't forget about cannabis!

• Cornelius

Thanks again everyone!

@torey These studies are great!

• Torey

@Cornelius Let me know if you need any info about any of the other herbs that have been mentioned.

• Cornelius

@torey Will do. Thanks again!

• Voodoo Flóra
    Voodoo Flóra Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@Cornelius you heard it here first: the interactions between cannabis and turmeric!!! Seriously amazing reduction in inflammation of the brain and brain fog. Also just generally awesome the alchemy there.

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I realize that this isn’t exactly what you asked but I had severe cognition problems that lasted several years and stopping processed sugar and inorganic wheat made all the difference. I have almost no memories of those lost years but I seem to be back to (at least) functional levels now after 3 years of following a whole foods, plant based diet with (mostly) organics.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

What a cool topic @Cornelius. I for one would love to have a peek at your paper when it's done.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I am a bit like you, @Owl, and am so glad you are doing better. It requires a lifestyle change and lots of discipline, but it's so worth it. My issues were gluten; even now I take significant amounts of omega 3 oils and if I don't I can tell within a day or two.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago I read about a doctor using coconut oil to reverse her husband's alzheimers. I just did a quick search and found this

https://www.usagainstalzheimers.org/content/march-2015-can-coconut-oil-really-help-alzheimers

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

That is interesting...maybe that is why certain blood pressure medicines cannot be combined w/grapefruit

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I love Rosemary...it brightens the mood, uplifting. Improves memory. Can be inhaled, ingested as a tea, easy to obtain, plus so much more. It is multifunctional.

• Owl

No one really knows what happened to me or why I had the cognitive problems but I think sugar was my primary problem. I have found that I can eat some organic flour without much difficulty and I definitely can’t handle much inorganic flour but I had/have systemic yeast and craved sugar constantly when I was “down the rabbit hole” but there’s really no way to know. I did a couple of elimination diets without anything conclusive other than too many eggs causes my neuropathy to get really angry.

My entire team of doctors simply blew off my complete loss of the ability to even remember enough of a movie to continue watching it the next day to “normal effects of aging” so I’m not terribly trusting of any doctors anymore. If they truly believe that the brain is supposed to behave that way in late 40s, early 50s then what does that say about their own cognitive function!

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I know we’re talking about herbs. But learning about essential oils is important also. Rosemary EO is one of the few oils that passes through the brain blood barrier and that’s why it is so amazing. I love making dynamic blend with herbs and EOs.

• Torey

@kfoto Many of the studies done on Rosemary for cognition are done using the EO as opposed to the herb.

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I like to use Ashwaganda it helps relax me.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I LOVE Ashwaganda @Nancy Carter . I swear it's the reason my kids are still alive. I tell people that you'll never feel like putting your kids in the microwave again after taking Ashwaganda. People, I'm joking, but it does get the Adrenals back up to snuff.

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Thank you for researching the effects of herbs on the brain. I am sure there are many who will benefit.

• Cornelius

@Owl I am very sorry to hear that that happened to you. Those Docs were definitely off base. People should not have complete memory loss every 24 hrs. This is real life and not the 50 First Date with Adam Sandler.

@annbeck62 I have heard that Alzheimer's is reversible to a certain point with intervention (but I do not know the required treatment on hand). This is due to neuroplasticity which is the brains ability to repair damage. Scientist use to believe that only children possess this trait, but it turns out humans have it life long! (but I believe it works best in children)

For my project I am focusing on homeopathic remedies so herbal preparations or essential oils will definitely work! Thank you all again!

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Another good Ayurvedic herb for the brain is shankapushpi, which is considered to be a rejuvenative.

• Torey

@Cornelius I hope you will let us read your paper when it is finished. I would be interested to see how you have incorporated homeopathic remedies into the discussion.

• Owl

According to my research, to combat Alzheimer’s and dementia, start with healing any gut issues, I can’t remember if the brain specific research mentioned intermittent fasting or time restricted feeding but I started that at about the same time as I started waking up and I still restrict myself to a 4 hour feeding window, 4 days a week to maintain my energy and the 70ish pounds I lost. I stopped fasting at all for several months and didn’t gain too much weight but I could barely get off the couch after a while.

I added about 1/3 cup of coconut butter to my daily routine when I was waking up. I haven’t done that for a year or so now but I kept with it for a couple of years. I don’t use much oil in anything but I dearly love my homemade yogurt and a good bit of organic butter in my diet.