Its Baby Chain Saw time

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in Tools, Hardware, & Machines

I got tired of waiting for someone to cut my brush or trees a few years back and the cost of a tree trimmer is quite high so I learned to run a baby chain saw - one with an electric cord. I feel it's some what safer and its smaller so I don't tackle the really big trees. I tend to live on the edge and think I am wonder woman at times.

February is a good time to take down smaller trees and prune off this broken branches so I'll probably get out those extension cords and start cutting once the temps warm a bit next week.

I do have to cut a few down by the neighbors land and will have to see if I can get my one nephew to cut those. (its out of extension cord range and might be a bit bigger than I normally cut.) They are ash trees that are dying and close enough to the neighbors house to damage it if they fall the wrong way.

I grew up in a house where we burned wood and collected firewood all fall. I loved it. Those nice cooler crisp days spent in the woods. Most days were fun but we had a few of those adventures you really don't want to talk about for a few years. My dad would have about 4 chain saws to do the cutting. Me, I just have the reliable baby chain saw.

Do you use a chain saw and what kind do you have?

Comments

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

We heat with wood and have a 10 acre piece of land. We have several chainsaws ranging from a small battery powered chain saw up to a Huskavarna 372 XP we bought used and when we got it there was a 36" bar on it. There are at least 3 in between those.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan to get a baby chain saw. Preferably a battery operated one. After I learn to use that, I might go bigger if I need to.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have one with a cord. I would love to get a baby chain saw but my husband isn't overly fond of them and doesn't want me working with one.😕

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Denise Grant one would think I had shares in Stihl! I have 6 Stihl products, 3 chainsaws. A wood boss, a farm boss and a lithium battery pruning saw. All extremely handy in their chosen fields. The pruning saw, I bought for my wife for Xmas and I’ve found it so very handy for all the small jobs. In the past I’ve used loppers and secateurs, this little machine is excellent. From forearm sized limbs to smaller stuff, it works a treat. I have no affiliation with the company but I find their products the most reliable and long lasting. I’ve had 1chainsaw for 20 yrs now and wouldn’t change it for anything.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Great information on chainsaws, thank you all! We are getting ready to retire and looking for some acreage and planning for all the toys, I mean tools we are going to need!!!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I recently was in Harbor Freight and they had their little electric chain saw on sale for $29.99. A 30 dollar chainsaw?! Yes, I bought it. So far I have only cut up fallen branches but it worked really well. How durable will it be? Probably not very but it is a way to learn how to use one and to see just what I can manage. I actually like it a lot.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I like Husqvarna. We have never owned anything else. Stihl would be a choice if for some reason I couldn't get a Husqvarna. Reasons I like Husqvarna: Lightweight (even some of the bigger ones are light enough for me). Easy to start (one or two pulls). Rarely has issues. Huge variety of sizes for every purpose, from baby ones to industrial size that will cut down our big west coast cedars.

I recommend a medium size saw for most home uses and getting firewood. Don't get one that is too heavy for you personally. Don't get one that is too small if you are cutting firewood.

I don't care for the electric saws. I don't think they are as powerful. Also don't like the idea of an extension cord when using a saw. Too easy to trip over or get tangled in. Electric saws are no good for going out into the bush to get firewood (no current bushes nearby😁) Battery operated ones just don't have the operational time and power that I need.

If you are cutting a lot of firewood, two saws are nice to have. Helps if you get a saw stuck in a tree or if one breaks down (rarely with Husqvarna) or needs sharpening.

If you are new to saws, take a course in how to sharpen a chain. It requires a bit of skill and a dull saw is a dangerous saw.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

@jodienancarrow Stihl is excellent. We still have my fathers and that must be 60 plus years old. If I get a bigger chain saw I would go with that. I also have one of the pruning saws! Amazing.

@ltwickey Yes we all need those toys...oops tools. The fun is being able to afford them. Start saving now

@vickeym I have a harbor freight and I have used it for years. Caution with them. Check to make sure it was not a recalled style. One had a chain that would fly off of it while using. Just look for recalls (put model number in a recall site) or even at harbor frieght they have a bulletin board and that is where I found out about recalls. I like it being light weight too

@JennyT My family is not thrilled I use a small chain saw but when I ask if they can help its usually no so baby chain saw it is! I was fortunate to be raised in a family where we cut wood 3 months out of the year so I know a lot of the ups and down of using one

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl that was my reasoning in getting a baby chain saw. Learn on a smaller one and then advance if you need too. So far the Baby Chain saw keeps me in line and gets it done - most of the time

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Denise Grant, most of the stuff I'd be cutting right now is 6 inch or less diameter. Basically cutting fallen limbs in to shorter pieces.

• Monek Marie
    edited February 2021

Then a small chain saw is perfect for you @RustBeltCowgirl .

My small saw can handle a 14 inch tree. But I prefer to do the smaller sizes. Then it's look at all the scrap and decide what all I can create with it.

• Monek Marie

For my workout this morning (who needs a paid gym subscription?) I cut down some of my sumac with the baby chain saw. The fresh air was wonderful and I needed to work off being impatient for this weather to break.

I love Sumac but it has spread and its beginning to create issues. There is an area that I want to turn into a garden so they need to come out

I cut the sumac up into pieces that will fit in to a shipping box and place ads to sell it. Sumac make the most beautiful carvings and the smaller branches are somewhat hollow and you can scrap them out and make a fun flute. My dad taught us how to do this many years ago

Those are beautiful. Is that the spoon you made in the picture? @Denise Grant

• Monek Marie

No @JennyT I have not made anything but flutes from sumac. It would make a good cold weather project right now but woodworking in that style is not something I have done. But thanks, that reminds me my nephew does.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I keep thinking about getting a baby chainsaw, but my husband has a couple of grownup chainsaws and knows how to use them. He was a forester. But the advantage of me having a baby chain saw is I could do some small jobs myself rather that having to "Honey do"

• Monek Marie

@marjstratton That's why I got a small chain saw. I had this long to do list and would hear, tomorrow. So I bought one and got dirty looks. Why do you need one?" Independence.

Little do they know a kabota is next on my list. (that even scars me!)

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

How is the lithium pruning saw? I saw a few ads recently that made it look amazing. Almost too good to be true! It it works like the ads show, I definitely want one!

• JodieDownUnder

@Sharie we couldn’t be happier with ours. We’ve hardly used the loppers since we bought the lithium baby saw and the battery lasts longer than than you’d think. The battery is interchangeable with the “Milwaukee” brand power tools, if you need to charge 1 and use the saw at the same time. 5 stars from us. Just be careful with it because it could do you a whole lot of damage if you’re careless!

• marjstratton

@Denise Grant I love doing yard chores with a little tractor/backhoe. So much easier than hurting my back. Need to rent one again to get some things done around here.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I'm in Ecuador so replacement batteries would be crucial. Do you have the link for yours that you could share? I need to check if Lithium batteries are allowed.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

My husband bought me one by greenworks and I’ve been really happy with it.

• JodieDownUnder

@Sharie after further research online. The manufacturer says batteries are not interchangeable but my Stihl dealer told me otherwise. You can buy another Stihl battery, they are lithium ion, meaning they are rechargeable. Stihl should provide 2 batteries with this product, I believe. Using another brand of battery would null warranty if a problem occurred.

• Monek Marie
    edited August 2021

Well, I knew the electric line was cutting this summer and I knew there would be property damage but I hoped to get mulch and chips or projects.

Today they came and did 2/3's of ther property line with the huge hanging saw from a helicopter. I wish I had had warning. It makes so much wind I have things scattered all over the property.

I also have a lot of mess to pick up. They will come back sometime to mulch and chip, especially by the house where they could not cut by copter.

But I have pine, sumac and other small trees to use what I can and save what I can. My schedule for today was 3 hours outdoors doing projects so I guess this will be my project for today and most of the week.

I talked to the one supervisor. They butchered a pine tree so it will not live, they may cut that down and all 7 trees in front of the house may go. They were the wrong trees so I don't mind I just want the wood, chips and mulch for property projects

@Monek Marie Sorry to hear about that.😕

I'm surprised they wouldn't notify you in advance.

• Torey

@Monek Marie I had never heard of tree trimming via helicopter before. I found several youtube videos. What a frightening unit !!!!! I don't understand them using that type of machine in a populated area. It is so dangerous. What if there was an unexpected wind gust? What if there was a mechanical failure? They should be able to bring in a truck and crew if the power line is along the property line on a road. At a lot less expense than hiring a chopper by the hour, never mind this monstrosity.

In my area, the power companies cut a wide enough swath that even the tallest trees wouldn't be able to affect the lines. The swath is cut completely every few years to prevent any growth reaching lines.

I could see this type of unit possibly being used in very remote areas but I don't think there is any excuse for them using this anywhere that there might be people, pets or livestock that could be in the rotor downwash zone. I don't think they would be legal under Transport Canada's safety regulations or under WorkSafeBC regulations in my province. We have a lot of heli-logging that goes on here but that is a completely different set-up where the chopper is only used to lift the already cut timber.

• Monek Marie

Utilities never give you advanced notice. I heard last fall they would be in this area.

• Monek Marie

It was so windy from the saw and copter it looked like a hurricane outdoors. Thankfully most of my animals were in today. One house was open and they all ran in for safety.

Yes, animals out in a field could get hurt. I have gone over to look at the mess but I can see one tree by the garage and its just shredded.

I saw this form of cutting used for timber and I heard they might start using it for utility lines but I thought it would only be out in the wild. It was way to dangerous for here. I think they redireted traffic too as we had no one going by on the road.

• Torey

@Monek Marie If they are damaging private property they should be held liable. That is like an air assault.

If it was dangerous enough to redirect traffic, then it was dangerous enough to, at the very least, warn residents so that everyone could be safe.

Do you have some sort of safety regulatory board in your state? We have several routes we could take here to complain about this.

I can't imagine how this is an efficient or cost effective way to harvest timber, either.

• marjstratton

Wow, that is horrible. I looked up a YouTube of the helicopter saw. I think it is probably the most dangerous thing I have ever seen. I don't know whether they use such things along the powerlines in my area, but I have always assumed that they just log the powerline right of ways to harvest the timber. That would make so much more sense to me.