Free virtual poultry series hosted by Nutrena feeds

dottile46
dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

In case anyone is interested. You do have to register for each session separately. Edited to add: The email I received said there are prizes!! " The more meetings you attend, the more prizes you are eligible to receive!"

https://www.eventbrite.com/d/online/orscheln/?page=1&hash=4cbf045254f4c9866795b9563038b4a6&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=113002133&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8gDBDcFS788H0zWevuaSB-PBDZkAhIroY1Z9r629alW2SuN9pLFRaNBx5N-XyccD-jw2xI7_0na32P_cbtfJqjw6iZKg&utm_content=113002133&utm_source=hs_email

"Join Nutrena Feed Rep, Jodi Holmes, and Orscheln Farm & Home for a free, virtual four-part poultry series! Each meeting will focus on a different topic including getting started with chicks, poultry nutrition, heath and care throughout their life, and much more. The more meetings you attend, the more prizes you are eligible to receive! RSVP’s are required to join, and you must register for each event.

Seminar Sessions:

Tuesday 3/2/21 6:30 pm - Session 1 – Chick selection/Preparation

Tuesday 3/9/21 6:30 pm - Session 2 – Poultry Nutrition 101

Tuesday 3/16/21 6:30 pm - Session 3 – What to Expect with Layers

Tuesday 3/23/21 6:30 pm - Session 4 – Other Poultry Tips (ducks, meatbirds, etc.)"

Comments

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to sign up for all four sessions. Thanks for sharing, @dottile46. 😊

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I signed up. Looks great, Thanks for sharing @dottile46

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

Boo Hoo! I just saw this post, missed it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I missed it too. I was too busy selling my many breeders. 😜🤯🤪

So those of you who attended, share with us what you learned and what you remember that stood out to you. @dottile46 @JennyT @Denise Grant

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I did not get home in time from an errand :(

I'll make sure to make the next one

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

I caught the first one, on bringing home new chicks. Good information if you are new to raising chicks, and even some useful pointers if you've been through it a few times already.

She recommended one square foot of brooder space per chick, and at least one inch of feeder space, Set up brooder with heat source on to warm it up just before you bring home the chicks, of course, and offer them water with added electrolytes only for the first 4 to 6 hours, then introduce the feed. Feed the chicks starter feed for their first four months.

If the chicks are vaccinated, do not give them medicated feed, and no medicated feed for waterfowl. If you are not giving them medicated feed and you see symptoms of coccidiosis, add Amprolium or Sulmet in their water.

There was quite a bit more information, but it was generally familiar material to me and I didn't take notes on it--mostly the standard introduction: meat versus eggs, the most popular breeds, setting up a basic brooder, and care of chicks.

That Eventbrite system is complicated to log into though, and you had to open a second web page for the interactive part--she had a series of questions to answer in the course of the presentation with prizes for the top scores. It was confusing. Also, there was some kid in the group who would not mute her mic, and apparently would unmute it if the presenter muted if for her. So there was constant outside noise--pop cans opening, slurping, snack packs rattling, off-topic discussions, etc. etc. that got so intrusive it sometimes drowned out the presenter. Overall, I give the webinar high points for content, low points for the presentation itself--technology too complicated, not effective with unruly attendees. Rather stressful. Still, I plan to attend the other sessions. The content is worth the annoyance.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, dear, our brooder chicks always were too crowded. But we never had any problems. Perhaps they are being over cautious, or perhaps we were just lucky.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't able to see the first one unfortunately.😕 Hoping to catch the rest of them.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited March 2021

As for coccidiosis, you can prevent it causing issues. So do not feel that you have to vaccinate!

The vaccine is known to cause gut/digestive issues, reduce nutrient absorption, negatively affect feed conversion, weakens the immune system, & slows down growth/weight gain. At the earliest stages is when this is given, and I just can't see it as being a truly beneficial practice considering such backwards negatives. It goes against everything you want to have to create a strong, healthy chick. It is not a good choice.

I posted a couple of links for natural prevention here:

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning unfortunately I've not managed to catch any of the sessions. I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.... or maybe it is I want, I want, so off to work I go. lol

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaryRowe Thanks for posting some of the lesson..I just saw this and am going to try to get in on the rest of them although the page doesn't look like that's going to happen..if so I'll post so others won't have to miss all of it.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate Now that I think about it, one square foot of brooder space per chick doesn't seem very realistic if you have a number of chicks. I've probably been close to that, but then I've always kept a small flock of 6 to 10 birds, and probably only raised a couple dozen chicks over the years, 4 to 6 at a time. The program was pitched for the first-time chicken keeper, and assumed a small flock (--really small: she suggested starting out with at least three birds minimum, for example.) She said her one-square-foot recommendation was meant to give the chicks space as they grew, and reduce the danger of disease and stress among them, So yes, she probably was being overcautious.

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks for the excellent reminders about preventing and dealing with coccidiosis naturally. I was uncomfortable with this presenter's emphasis on chemicals, medicated feed, etc. and lack of reference to natural methods on the whole range of chick care issues. But then she is from Nutrena, so what can you expect.....

@silvertipgrizz I hope you can get in, that Eventbrite system sure seems complicated and confusing to me. This first program was a really basic introduction, but it sounded like the other programs might be a bit more advanced.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@MaryRowe I saw Nutrena and knew immediately there would be chemical push. I also know that is not the way of most people who are members here. A free webinar is generally free as a marketing move to sell more product to more customers.

There are natural ways to take care of other things that they will promote chemical use to solve. So, if anyone questions chemical vs. natural for something, please ask for the alternatives here. I, and other experienced keepers here, will help you find better, safer & beneficial solutions.

• silvertipgrizz

@dottile46 Just wanted to let you all know that I called Orscheln Farms first to see if they would upload part 1 again for those who missed it, if it was still free and available. They gave me the number of the tractor supply and the lady I talked to about 2 hours ago said she would see if that could/would be done and would let me know as soon as she knew one way of the other.

Also, so you all know, if you click on dottile46 link you should find that the rest of the classes, ie 2, 3, and 4 are still avail and class 2 is coming up on March 9, here is the intro to that class:

This second link shows you lesson 2 3 and 4 dates so hopefully everyone interested will be able to watch them..

• silvertipgrizz

I just found this as I was looking to see if episode one was back up and avail...I did not see it but there are more free ones that go into April as well..have a look

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @MaryRowe

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the link. I was able to register.