Herbs that affect the brain/ cognition

2»

Comments

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Great subject and great responses!

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@Owl Not a herb, but keeping the brain detoxed at night by a 5 degree elevation of the whole bed towards the head is supposed to support the lymphatic drainage of the head. (Will, LLL see this sneaky off topic comment? 🤐 ) So thinking along that line, herbs that support detox, especially detox of the head could help. Cilantro, maybe? That contaminant in foods, glysophate, damages the gut and liver, causes the heavy metals to be a problem, to digestion, and to the brain, and wide-spread problems.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@Owl The leaky gut can lead to leaky brain (when the blood brain barrier fails to keep unwanted macromolecules out of the brain). This can then activate the brains own immune system (which was recently discovered and is super cool) which if left unchecked can cause neural damage over time (from inflammation).

@torey I will do my best to post my paper here once it is done.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

This is a great thread. I learned from those that have posted more herbs for gut/brain health, yay! I eat a one-inch sprig of fresh rosemary to reduce a stuffy nose.

• SuperC

@monica197 would you tell me what is MCT oil?

i understand its a medium-chain triglyceride yet how does its properties provide healthy benefits?

• SuperC

@monica197 “The best food source of MCTs by far is coconut oil, but it can also be found in palm oil and high-fat dairy products like cheese and butter.” A quote from the article. I found out that it’s a supplement yet there are food products that are better left for others, like the dairy products and palm oil.

Not sure if I’d like to amp up my brain.

Would you know what a recommended dose is of coconut oil?

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Rosemary comes to mind first. One of my friends in laws took their mother for chelation therapy and that helped tremendously with Alzheimer’s symptoms...

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Interesting. I'm wondering if anyone remembers when aluminum in antiperspirants were thought to be a culprit in Alzheimer's? I haven't heard anything about that in...geez, it seems like decades. Was it debunked? Even Tom's of Maine has some deodorants with aluminum in them now.

• SuperC

@stephanie447 I’ve been conducting an experiment to not use any deodorant. It’s been one year and I’ve seriously stunk twice so I rubbed some on the pits. I feel great, and it’s one less item to spend time looking for at a store.

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I have been using the crystal deodorants for several years now and love them! The effects last about 4 days or until I shower again. I work inside a very warm greenhouse and use a sauna and have no problems with “pit funk” at all.

• Cornelius

@torey How did you find the other articles (google scholar)?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Cornelius Yes, I use Google Scholar quite a bit for research.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stephanie447 Tom's of Maine was sold to Colgate-Palmolive in 2006. While company policies were supposed to be retained, who really knows?

• Cornelius

@torey Thank you so much!

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

That's too bad. Why do these natural companies sell out to big companies like this? Don't they realize it will compromise their mission and vision? I guess a lot of people are ultimately about the money in the end. :-(

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have a problem with vertigo, in theory caused by an inner ear disorder. Every time I talk to a Dr about it they say that is what it is but they can't find anything wrong with my ears, weird. I decided to tackle it with herbs for the brain I am currently using Turmeric, Ginger and Gingko Biloba. I have also found if I use White Flower Oil (external) it helps clear my sinuses and it does help. The herbs started helping fairly quickly and I plan on continuing their use.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is wonderful information. I too, would love to read your finished paper. In the meantime, I will be looking into several links and herbals here myself. What an interesting topic.

• Cornelius