Garden Art

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love garden art. It adds fun and interest to a garden or backyard. Change it up and your area has a totally new look.

Its supposed to rain Thursday so I plan to take a gourd and make a bird house. I have not decided whether it should have a cottage look with roof and pine needle decoration or if I should make a gnome home. My newphew and nices would vote for Gnome Home.

I have an old headboard set for making a garden bench and I have seen some unique looks for using old doors. Repurposing items makes great garden art.

Do you have garden art and what is it? Or what have you seen that you would like to try and create?

Comments

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

People add mirrors to gardens but I am not sure if I would like that or not.

Windows hanging on a fence is a cool look. I would add a curtain and change what ever could be in the window just for fun and shock appeal

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I love garden art. It adds so much personality. Right now all I have are a few stepping stones that I added an artsy factor to. My next project will be making suncatchers to hang from a tree.

• Monek Marie

Love suncatchers and its a great family project too.

Garden art makes great gifts too. And if someone stops by and you have a small garden art piece they can leave with something new for their yard.

If swe still have to spend more time at home this summer this might be a fun way to add fun to your living area

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love using unusual things as art. I use old wrought Iron tables and chairs as plant holders and they look like an outdoor tea party and I also have an old manual push lawn mower that I have a vining flower growing up and around it.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested in seeing photos.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant the other day while under pine trees, I scooped up several handfuls of small pinecones and scrunched them, as they’re dry, in my hands and set all their seeds free flying around the yard so the smaller animals could have delicious meals is my garden art.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds like fun! I second the gnome home :). I would like to get a rake and shovel from a thrift store and paint them in very bright colors. They would look cute on the shed I think. I saw that on Pinterest awhile back and I really liked it.

• Monek Marie

@karenjanicki That would be a fun touch to you shed. Checl the raodside garabage collection. at this time of year someone may throw broken ones away

The top of an old garden rake makes a cool hanger.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant some fauna are attracted to suncatchers, (depending where they are). Where do you hang yours?

As for garden art, I’ve thought about adding a little bridge to cross over the small pond in the backyard for the squirrels and chipmunks to prevent drownings.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@JennyT has some lovely pieces of garden art. Maybe she would share a few pics with us.

• shllnzl

@JennyT Finally some photos! Gorgeous.

• Torey

Awesome @JennyT! Thanks for posting.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My items are all repurposed. That's the idea behind my little business Garden Whimsy. The tag line is "Repurposed Whimsies for Your Home and Garden."

I found a couple of pictures of my natural items.

I have more but don't know where those pics are either.😕 These are from my Christmas line.

I found one more of my natural items. I guess I don't have any pictures of the others completed yet, sorry.

All of my products are made with repurposed items found here in SC near me. Even the sea glass and shells were found at stores and beaches on the coast of South Carolina.😊

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@JennyT Fantastic! Keep doing what you're doing and I love the name

I love working with repurposed items. It gives them life again instead of heading to a dump. I go to Goodwill on 39 cent day or hit up sales wher i can ge a buck a bag.

The glass items sell well around here and look really awesome if you put solar or battery lighting under them

I used to do a lot of craft shows but they have changed. I either do the nicer ones, very local where everyone knows you or sell online. I haven't done this much in the last few years while trying to get ther barn area cleaned and repaired but I need to get back to it

• shllnzl

@JennyT I love the idea of repurposing items. Your items are way prettier than most I have seen.

edited March 2021

@shllnzl Thank you, I appreciate that. 😊

I made sure to take the time to figure out what would work and look the best.

And most importantly I followed my heart.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love the teacup/teapot and saucers! So many wonderful ideas! Do you sell on Etsy or somewhere? It makes me want to pull out my grandmother's china and whimsy up my garden.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have bought some of those blown glass swirles but haven't put them out in the yard yet. Also I have a blown glass hummingbird feeder.

I have a friend who uses copper tubing to make trellises and then adds a piece of fused glass to it to make an awesome structural piece for his garden.

Yes I do love glass art.

I don't have an Esty shop unfortunately. Shipping is not cheap. I can't guarantee it will arrive safely and in one piece. However that being said I did ship an order to my sister-in-law from here in South Carolina to Pennsylvania and they did arrive intact. I was selling through my website and doing shows but when covid hit I had shut it down. I'm hoping to put it back up after we've moved to our new house and I can get everything set up again. I do have a Facebook page and Instagram for my business and it's name is Garden Whimsy.

https://www.facebook.com/gardenwhimsy.org and gardenwhimsyorg on Instagram

I do also make custom orders if you have your own materials you'd like me to use. A young newly married lady at my church was given a couple of gorgeous teacups and saucers by her mother-in-law. I made them into feeders and she gave one of them back to her mother-in-law for Christmas to put in her garden. I actually have the pictures here.

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@JennyT

I was going to ask if you made the glass like Mushrooms but I saw them on your facebook website. They are a fun look to a garden or patio area. I put a solar light in the bottom so it can be a walkway path light. I have found a few $1 punch bowl sets and used the big bowl for a huge mushroom and the ideas for those cups are endless.

I am having trouble getting into my photos right now ( I think the computer is slowly dying on me ) but will get some of my stuff posted soon

This year I am cleaning up most of the creekside and want to have a lot of garden art along the path and in trees

I do make the mushrooms however no one bought any. They were more interested in my teacup feeders, the puddlers and other natural items. But I think I've figured out another way to do something with them. I just need to do a few trials first. But I'll let you know when I have something. 😉

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@JennyT The mushrooms will sell here if you add some color to the bowl and a solar light (battery kind) in the bottom of the stem. Also if you have a cute frog or gnome to put under them they sell as fast as they are put out -at least here.

Looking forward to hearing what you will do with the bowls

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

Another form of garden art I like to do is use different things for garden pots. An old metal colander. metal tins, what ever holds soil. I planted in a broken toaster one time.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Great photos! I love the wind chimes especially!

@stephanie447 Thank you😊

• Torey

Larger pieces of "junk" can be incorporated as well. I have seen bed frames filled with flowers to make it look like a bed with a quilt. I have a very old wood cook stove in my garden. The firebox was completely burned out and the oven was rusted so it was beyond repair, despite the outside looking not too bad. So it holds pots in the top where the burner lids are and a big pile of dirt in the open oven that has herbs spilling out.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JennyT really cool you are really creative and talented!