New Neighbors

Does anyone have any tips for (in a rural area) making new neighbors feel welcome? There is couple moving in just nextdoor on Monday and I want to make feel welcome. They have a dog and 4 horses.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited February 2021

Eggs are usually always welcome. Baked goods. A jar of homemade jam or some pickles. A bottle of home brew of some kind if you have it; homemade cider, wine, rootbeer, kombucha.

Not sure if it is too early in your area but plant starts are nice to give if you have extras.

I'd appreciate any of those items.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Haha! I was going to say a dozen eggs. Maybe some baking, like fresh bread, cookies or a pie. Even if they are gluten free, they should appreciate the sentiment.

This...and an open invitation to come by any time (if you are open to that).

Chat about their dog & horses. People like that you are loving on their animals, within reason, of course!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

All great ideas

A list of best restuarants, best auto repair and fun unique stores. Any great bakery that they can visit along with a homemade goodie. A good vet. If they have children, fun places to visit or a library, etc... A good map

Definitely plants, seeds (if you have any spare ;) )

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

We also try to connect on interests through a bit of small talk. Maybe they are from the city and are open to trying new rural things?

Our last new neighbors sadly only care about machines & playing on them. They have more land than us, dugouts & fresh spring water, but no animals & no interest at all in any. :(

We still gave them eggs & cookies initially (they have a few kids), and they are friendly, but unfortunately have nothing much in common with us. It was kind of disappointing.

• Over here the traditional gift is bread and salt.

I usually give something baked fresh either a bread or something sweet.

And of course I give a jar or two of my own honey 🍯🍯

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL Lots of great ideas have been mentioned but a homemade cake or something similar would certainly melt my heart.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow Mine too! I was thinking of inviting them to a picnic as soon as it warms up too! They are really nice and "might" be getting goats!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Homemade Baked Goodie Bag which has cookies or a simple coffee cake with plates, forks and a knife to cut the cake all you can get maybe from a Dollar store - it does not need to be expensive after all it is the gift that counts. 😊

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Fresh backed goods or a casserole.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Taking a food item is always good. But just introducing yourself is ok, too. We haven't met any neighbors yet, but I'm chalking that up to Covid.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

My Russian neighbour greeted me with specialty cakes from her country. When you're moving and unpacking, it's great to have a sweet snack.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

all really great ideas, maybe a nice herb tea blend to go along with the goodies...

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Ooooo @maimover I hadn't thought of that!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also include a list of important phone numbers that they may not have had a chance to look up. Make sure yours is in there.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

When I moved last fall a widower gave me homemade banana bread and it melted my heart.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

The last time I moved a neighbor gave my family a plant and it meant a lot to us.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

My neighbors raved about how great my homemade chocolate cookies were. If you have a special baking recipe, whether cake, cookies, apple dumpings, etc. that would be a wonderful gift.