Four free rabbits and a photo hog

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I picked up my goats they were also getting rid of their rabbits and offered them to me free. So I took them. Overall they are in good shape. There are two meat type rabbits and two lionhead. The lionheads are really cute.

As with any new animals they go in to quarantine. But, one lionhead had mites in the ear bad enough it has created an issue. I am not sure how well she will recover. The previous owners gave the rabbit antibiotics once I told her what was wrong It helped but I have to get the ear cleaned out. I hope she will do ok. She is really one pretty rabbit. Photos once they calm down

They also are not as tame as my rabbits are. The one will actually hiss at you. She may not be around long if she is actually mean.

But I did get one photo of one of my kids today. If its warmer I'll take more tomorrow

So it brings up the question, are free animals a good deal? In my experience, sometimes yes and sometimes no

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Denise Grant I’m hearing you. Sometimes people just lose interest, or they bought them for the kids etc. Sometimes it’s just less hassle. On the other hand it could be a temperament issue or the animal is too old to breed any longer and it’s an easy way out. Always be wary, “ if it’s too good to be true, it usually is” particularly horses and cattle!

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@jodienancarrow These were bought for the grandkids and they lost interest very quickly. I think they are about 2.

The only reason I took them is I thought they would be better off. The people I got the goats from want to move to they are downsizing everything as fast as possible. The goats were very well taken care of but once you decide to downsize or get rid of animals its best to move you animals as soon as possible

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@monica197 The rabbits were bought for pets for grand children and ignored after a few months. I'll give it a few weeks to at least stop hissing if not it will be fattened up.

I don't know much about lionheads. I will look that up but thanks for a heads up. I hope I can get the earrs cleaned up. Its caused a balance issue. I have it in the house to see if I can help it.

This is the first time for baby goats so no, I have not made chevre but i will look it up.

Yes, the baby goats are cute. I make sure they get a lot of attention to make sure they stay friendly. I have not decided if they should be dehorned or not. I hear mixed results on doing that. Before when I got goats they were either polled or dehorned. I know its a painful procedure. The four goats I just got have their horns

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an adorable Kid! It makes me want one even though I live in a City 😊

• Monek Marie

@Lisa K Thank you!

My friend lives in a city and has two. One is expecting. They will have to sell the kids as soon as possible to not create issues.

• Monek Marie

The free rabbit with the ear issue is improving immensely. I am surprised. I kind of thought it was a lost cause. More time will tell if it makes a full recovery

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant Good to hear the ear issue is improving. Sounds like you know what you are doing! There are several facebook groups devoted to lionheads, if you run into a question you need help with.

Your kid is gorgeous!! Love it.

• Monek Marie

@monica197 thanks for the link

I gave the rabbit Ivermectin. It is doing better. Its getting spoiled and loves music. It's one ear is clearing out of crud. Thankfully it was just one eat. I also put it on probiotics and it has red cider vinegar it its water

The little kids are doing well and love it when the chickens are out.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lionheads are really cute rabbits. I understand that they make nice house bunnies.

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl I could see whre they would. This one is sweet. Its taming up and I let it run loose for a little bit each day.

I have have indoor rabbits before, usually the fluffy small ones. They do train to a litter box but their chewing issue never seems to disappear.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant That kid is so cute! What breed?

• Monek Marie

@COWLOVINGIRL Its a nigerian with a pygmy buck as a father. The buck is red so sometimes you get a red or butterscotch color.

All three kids have justr a tocuch of oclor that will become more apparent later.

Thye are fun and add laughter to our lives.

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Your kid Is adorable! I say free animals worth it however i am a bit of a bleeding heart...lol

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

That kid is sooo cute!

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Denise Grant so, when do we get bunny pics?

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@RustBeltCowgirl There will be more photos this weekend. It is brutally cold out and the wind is horrible.

I took out the rabbit that has been ill and got one photo that was semi tolerable. She did not like being out in cold and wind after being indoors

Her ear is clearing out and she does not jerk all the time. But her balance could be better. I think she may make a full recovery. Another week will tell

She is a lion head, harlequin mix.

• Monek Marie
    edited March 2021

@tilathehunn Yes, I take in a lot of animals. My concern is that they do not have a disease that will pass to my other animals or even me. I keep them away from my other animals and get them to a vet if needed.

My heart has been broken a few times when I take in a very sick animal but I just remind myself that they had love and a good home, if only for a few weeks.

So far the rabbits are doing well and taming up (except for little miss hiss a lot - she needs more TLC.)

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant she is a cutie!

• Monek Marie

Well here is another photo of the rabbit that was very ill. Its doing better. I have noticed that a rabbit will improve, then it seems to take a few weeks before its totally back to normal. I hope this is the case with this one. It moves fine, eats well, is getting tamer - but it still has a bit of a head issue. It tilts it a lot. That could be a nervous issue or the mites still have some control. The ear is much better and I will treat it again today. Overall the ear looks cleaned out.

Now the rabbit needs a name

• RustBeltCowgirl

She is just adorable. I'm sure she'll tell you what her name is soon enough.

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl That'ss ther way I feel with names. Most animlas name themselves

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Denise Grant That's my general take on animal names.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is so cute! I hope she has a full recovery.

• Monek Marie

@torey I am hoping she will. If its a serious issue I have noticed it takes several weeks to get back to normal. She still lifts her head but any shaking is gone. I'd like to see her a bit more active but that improves every day.

And yes, she is a cutie. Its about time for her to come out and run around for a bit.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to raise bunnies, but with our small city lot I just don’t think that is feasible. I have a neighbor that raises them, as I see their signs but have not taken the bait yet. I hope this one is doing even better. It certainly is adorable. The kid melts my heart, so stinking cute. I could see how you can easily spend time out there loving on them on a sunny afternoon.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant That is one fluffy rabbit!