Propagating roses from cuttings

I am trying to clone my favourite roses. I do not even know the name of the roses as they were here when we bought the house and the garden. The scent and the colour are my favourite and I collect these petals for my herbal tea mixtures. My herbal grind has been asking for years whether she could have a rose like this. And this is the third year that I try to propagate it.

My failures were propagating in a potato and digging it into a trench. I got some potatoes, but not roses.

I tried in summer, may be they did not like the time.

this time I propagate them at home: i cut the cuttings when they still had no leaves, put them into a mixture of sand and garden compost and keep them in my dining room on the heated floor. The leaves are comming. Whether the roots will come?

i am always successful in propagating geraniums from cuttings. I have my favourite variety and Every spring I grow the fresh ones. But with roses I was not successful.

does anybody have experience with propagating roses this way? I would be grateful for your advice.

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad was able to propagate roses by creating a mini green house by taking soda bottles and cutting off the bottom. He then would take the cap off during a sunny day and cap at night to keep them warm.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

@Lisa K My dad could do that as well. He would propagate all kinds of trees and bushes. Well, too late to ask for advice...

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost had new growth on one of my Valentine's Day rose cuttings: after my cats managed to dump them before I even saw the surprise gift, I refilled the vase with water and some table sugar.

It was only after I tried drying the flowers that I noticed new leaves had tried to grow on one of the stems.

I may try the sugar water as an experiment with some rose cuttings out of the yard.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

My gardener cut six pieces of my favorite rose and put them all in containers of water. I pretty much just ignored them but after a couple of months, one was left (the rest died) which I planted and it's growing. It hasn't bloomed yet. I hope it will. It's growing a bit sideways so it may be a dud but the leaves look healthy. Stems are about 2 feet. Good luck! 🌹

• jowitt.europe

@Sharie your experience gives me hope! It means I have to be patient for months...

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I'm still being patient LOL! Most of my roses are not in bloom now. We've had so much rain there was even a state of emergency declared due to flooding. They need some sun. By the way roses also love urine for blooming. 1/7 part urine to water. I collect it (pee in a measuring cup so you can pour into a bigger container) and use it for all my flowering plants. Hibiscus love it too. My soil is really bad but slowly improving. I'll post back when/if it successfully blooms.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would air layering work for these. Bend down one cane while it is still soft and flexible. Bury a section of it in the middle or something and let it take root there. After it is going good, gently dig up and cut away from original plant and replant the new one? I know there are better explanations out there, but this gives the basic idea.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, well , I guess I called that by the wrong name. What I described was not air layering. I guess this is air layering.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4FHrHR7AjA

I guess what I was describing is only called layering. Here is a better explanation of how it is done.

http://www.easyrosegardening.com/layering.html

• jowitt.europe

@vickeym yes, that is a good idea. I understand what you are saying and this is the way I multiply all kinds of currants. I will try. Thank you this idea.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Springtime when there is a lot of new growth is an excellent time for propagating cuttings. One of my roses had a branch damaged from the snow and ice, bending it parallel with the ground. It still started putting on leaves so I cut six pieces and just stuck them in my pots of mints that were nearby. They get rain or watering pretty much every day and the mints don't mind that lol. So far, so good. I really should do that with some of the others but that's just not going to happen this year. Wishing you luck!

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Oh, that's a great idea! I'm going to have to try that! I usually am at the store and see a rose I like and buy it. I really like the roses I have though and my husband is talking about getting more, but I'll suggest propagating the ones we have. Thanks!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib I had a dear friend and neighbor die from cancer, a few years ago now. But in her yard were some rose bushes that were absolutely stunning. Every year I'd look forward to seeing the blooms. Before they sold her house I took soooo many cuttings just in case the new owners got rid of them. I went to a friend who is a master gardener and asked what to do. He explained to me how to do things and it's basically the same thing you have done. I've left mine for about 2 yrs now I'd say and this is how they look now.

In the second picture you can see that there is another starting to come up. He must of planted almost a dozen cuttings in this pot. I have 4-5 plants that made it plus the little one coming up just now. They like to take their time. So patience is a thing for this, but he told me to just let them be so I did. I wish you luck.😊

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JennyT How nice to have such a nice reminder of a friend and neighbor

Great job.

I have to admit that I do not have much luck with roses.

• jowitt.europe

@JennyT it is very encouraging what you write! And it is a very good way not only to remember dear neighbors, but also multiply the sorts of roses which are not for sale, but you want them. Now I just wait in peace for my roses to develop. Thanks!

• jowitt.europe

@Sharie wow! Urine for roses!!! What an interesting idea! And not too much surprising. I remember my teacher in the herbal course pointing to plants which grow here or their, because a dear or a fox pees there. And urine attracts butterflies, doesn’t it. Well, everything natural is being reused. For some it’s a waste, for others a treasure!

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I want to start growing Damask roses. Does anyone know where I can buy a plant of Ispahan Damask Rose plant (Pink).