Simple conversations and lending a helping hand

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went up to the Tuesday night food bank at one of my local towns.

I want to give out garden seed packets that they can hand out. I hope to encourage people to grow a garden and also have the seeds they might need without going out and buying seeds. So next week I will take up bagged garden seeds with helpful tips for planting and harvesting.

And as with any time there are seeds, the talk turns to gardening. It was not long before I was answering questions about garden issues and giving out tips. I also talked about a few of my different seeds that I grow and made arrangement to drop off seeds for those that are unique to the people helping at the food bank.

The food bank had too much of the salvaged food that comes from delis and gas stations last night. It is not my favorite type of food but if the cupboards are bare and times are tough it can help a family. I knew of 4 families that could use some so they brought me out 4 medium sized boxes and I put things in. The one guy helped add to the boxes, lol. They were full. And a good deal of these items can be frozen so it should help people out.

So last night I made 3 stops and made a few people very happy. My nephew took another box for his sister-in-law who had more monetary issues than I knew. It was nice to see smiles and share a few laughs.

I have dropped of food for my nephew before and at first he was happy to have it but kind of reserved. Now he gladly takes what I can bring. As I told him, if its not given away its tossed in a dumpster.

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Always a good thing to do!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a blessing! I love stories like that.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I especially love the seed giveaway. The seeds will help more people in the long run if they use your seeds and tips and will plant them.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Awesome idea! Always have left over seeds to share! Good to try to instill positive practices in people!

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@Denise Grant what a beautiful idea to give away seeds at the food bank.

And to save some food from going into the dumpster and to people who can use them instead.

• Monek Marie

I have also started some spare seedlings. I plan to take those up to the food banks in mid may to first week of june

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Denise Grant good on you. It’s wonderful to see caring heart felt contributions from people such as yourself. Thank you, it makes me feel good on the inside!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant what a great project! I hope you are able to encourage people to grow there own food even if they start really small.

• Monek Marie

@annbeck62 My thought is if you can get them to grow one crop, you might get them hooked! I truly believe everyone should grow a few veggies at least

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I agree! Plus I'm really in favor of "teaching someone to fish instead of just making them a fish dinner". I've done lot's of volunteering in my community and it was very sad how many people where I live feel entitled to handouts instead of seeing it as a stepping stone to helping them get back on their feet.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been the recipient of food boxes for "the elderly" since I came back to Missouri. I'm 62, with a full time job (minimum wage) and at first it bothered me that Mom signed me up, too.

Now I just gratefully accept what I get, and donate what I won't use to the local food bank. This morning I made applesauce from the 5 pounds of small apples that I got last week. They were not much good for eating as the peels were thick and there were many soft spots, but they made excellent sauce.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

We volunteer with our local food bank whenever our schedules allow. Last year they started their own greenhouse and garden area and gave the produce to those picking up food from them. I didn't have much for seeds to give them, but had not expected all the seeds I had planted to start so had lots of extra seedlings. They were very happy to have them for their garden and greenhouse. I wish I did not work on the days they were open so I could volunteer more. I used to go at least one day a week before my schedule changed and really enjoyed it.

• Monek Marie
    edited April 2021

@Mary Linda Bittle, West Plains, Missouri There are several places I get free food or food that may be tossed. Life is hard at times, prices are going up and I won't even mention health care. (not that I am fond of modern medicine but its out of my budget) My chickens benefit from food that would go in a dump too.

My mother gets a food box to insure she eats healthy. My health care supervisor for mom wanted me to get her signed up. If food comes to her she will use it but if she had to ask for someone to pick it up she would not and just go without. I also donate to food banks. They serve a wonderful purpose.

I can not stand food waste when I know families could benefit from it. And what I save with free food I can spend on a gift or give back to a community or family in need. Both my niece and nephew were thrilled with the boxes I dropped off the other night.

I would love for my area to have a year round farmers market, community gardens where food can be shared, swapped or given away. Besides helping peoples health it brings communities together.

When I returned home my income was drastically cut. Landscaping was a great answer but by time I can do that again I probably won't want to or won't be able too.

I love rural but sometimes its harder to make a decent wage. Where did you live before Missouri Mary? I left the country and lived in numerous cities for a bit. It was a tough change, interesting but tough.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant I grew up in middle Missouri, and moved to the rural area east of Seattle in 2006. In 2016 I moved to western Idaho, and back "home" to southern MO in June of last year. Mom is 82, so I wanted to be closer.