To mow or not to mow
That is the question
How much do you mow?
I have to mow my land down this year because it needs a good cleaning both in what is growing and just stuff. When the barn fell and things were being sorted things became very messy. It didn't help when easements came through and left half chopped bushes and trees.
I have mixed feeling on mowing a lot. I used to mow 13 hours just to get one mowing done here. Then I thought about cost, pollution and damage to nature. I took a few permaculture classes and studied animal rotation and more ecology to try and find other alternatives.
So this week I will mow fast before some of my native plants get going, then set up alternative ideas for less mowing.
I plan to see if I can get a mowing party going this weekend. A huge dinner and bonfire will help and I have plants to give away to many of my plant addicted friends who would show up.
I plan of having several "help me " parties or work-a-thons this spring early summer to help me get on track before the grass grows and its hard to work in some areas. I'm just trying to make it fair, easy and fun.
This Week's Leaders
- 605 All Categories
- 21 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 25 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 202 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 377 Current Events & Breaking News
- 1K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.2K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 408 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 28 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 298 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 299 The Homestead: DIY
- 856 Personal Journals
- 77 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter