Favorite Seasons

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two favorite seasons are Spring & Fall. Spring is when the days start to get longer and plants that have been dormant come alive! To me Daffodils are the epitome symbol of Spring.

Fall is when you get to plant some of my favorite vegetables and my roses do well in Fall.

What is your favorite Season(s)?

Tagged:

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K I have to agree with you. I love spring and fall most. In spring there is so much sun. Everything in the ground starts waking up. I love the feeling of hope and renewal that comes with it. I really enjoy having a harvest party every fall. I usually have more fun preserving than I remembered having the previous year.

• Lisa K

@Michelle D I love the idea of a Harvest Party!

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Here in west-central Missouri, spring and fall have the very finest weather of the year (assuming the tornadoes miss us!). Summer is so hot and humid, Winter cold, unpredictable, often icy. But Spring and Fall are usually ju-u-ust right for any kind of outdoor activity. Right now it is 57F, bright and sunny, with just a slight breeze stirring. Birds are singing their spring songs, first signs of green showing. I'm headed outside!

• Lisa K

Linda Mary Bittle started a new discussion about Hardiness Zones for the USA and I have attached a link that also does other Countries -

https://www.backyardgardener.com/garden-forum-education/hardiness-zones/plant-hardiness-zone-map/

• Lisa K

Another sign of spring - my honeysuckle is flowering!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Spring is one because I love to see new life. it like a promise that life always continues. Every day is a new discovery

Fall is so stunning in NW PA. Beautiful color and warm days without humidity.

Summer is so much better than winter but I will give winter a heads up when there is a new fresh snow and everything is so clean a peaceful.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Spring and Fall for sure! I am already feeling the beginnings of the high I experience in Spring, and after this particularly long winter, I am so glad.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K I love winter as the snow insulates Mother Earth nurturing her for the following season of Spring bringing forth the rains, storms, and tornados (watching the sky change colors from whites and blues to yellows and greens; they are scary at times). And at 50F the plants and trees’ sap flows. Watching animals and birds mating rituals. Then, Summertime dries the air and brings humidity that plants, trees, animals, and insects and spiders and snakes love and thrive. And then wrap it up with the cooling of Autumn as leaves change colors and spindly float downward to cover the ground. All four seasons are lovely fir me to embrace. Smiles

• Lisa K

@SuperC I love this!

• Lisa K

I spent Easter Sunday running errands for my dad then working in the yard and I love Spring, all my roses are blooming (also nature is truly a curious thing, the pink roses that are above the big yellow rose is actually orange!), I have a giant Meyer Lemon & Romaine lettuce which I made a Caesar Salad and apparently I have two squash seeds that germinated in the compost I have in the middle of my raised-bed. 

• Lisa K

When it comes to flowers, Spring is definitely the best season!

And my Apple tree is blooming!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@Lisa K I just love spring color. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Our color is just beginning to pop out

• Lisa K

Thanks @Denise Grant!

This spring for the first time, I am getting grapes!! The plant is about 6 years old.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love autumn. I love the crisp, cool air and fall colors. Where I live now, it's high tropics, and summer is my second favorite. Spring is hot and dry. Then the rainy season starts around the first of summer in December, and that's when things come to life.

• Lisa K

Even though we are leaving one of my favorite seasons - Spring and going into my least favorite - Summer (in So. Calif. it can get hot a along the coast humid) there are still reminders of Spring. One is my Mimosa is flowering!

• Lisa K

Summer tends not to be one of my favorite seasons but there are still nice surprise in the garden – my Glads, Fuchsias and Echinacea are flowering!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K At first I was going to agree and say, Spring & Fall----then a thought process took over! lol As I thought about each season, i thought about things I loved. I guess I just have to say that I am THANKFUL that I live where we have all seasons!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

My favorite is winter because the air is clean, free of chemical sprays and everything that didn't get done outside in summer is generally on hold and there is not much you can do about it. It gives you permission to rest to some extent. Other than that, each season has its redeeming qualities.

The early spring has no annoying flying bugs or ticks. The new growth appears and we get inundated with migrating birds & new life.

Summer is usually too hot for me. It is so short here too, which makes everything kind of all have to be done somehow in such quick succession that it is here & gone.

Fall is nice as long as there are less or no mosquitoes. Harvests are nice to see and I appreciate the cooling temperatures.

• Lisa K

This morning I was reminded why late summer is my least favorite season, it is a tad hard to hand water when you have to hold on to the hose & a stick.

Yes a stick may sound unusual but in our yard it is a necessity in our area because we get these red spiders that start off small by September or October can get the size of a half-dollar (that is not including the legs) and they can span between several feet in between trees. The other issue with these spiders is that their web is super strong and you can actually hear it snap when you run into it. 😮

Luckily I had my stick with me as I was walking on Tuesday morning I was clearing a path as I went and sure enough there was a small one right across the steps of my patio🤔

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

I'm one of those weirdos that loves all of the seasons.

Spring! Lengthening days, warmer temps, I can start seedlings, and dream of my garden produce, and start ditching my shoes for my preferred barefoot approach.

Summer! All the produce!!! Things to can and freeze-dry, and herbs I can dry. The larder gets restocked, and the tomatoes and watermelons are fresh and in season! I can use the solar oven to cook and not heat the house.

Fall! More produce! Temps are cooling off from the summer's heat! Birthdays! (In my family, at least--all three of my kids and mine are in the fall... well, post-labor day)

Winter! Time for soups! I can make broth! and it helps warm the house. Stews! Tasty foods from the larder and the freezer. Time for seed ordering, garden dreams, hot cocoa and good books on the sofa!

Yes, there are also things that I DON'T like about each season, but by focusing on the positives, I mostly enjoy the changes as they come.

• Lisa K

@Paradox I agree each season are good and we need them all, I just happened to have done battle with the red spiders which reminded me of if I had to put them in order, summer would probably be last. Because I live in So. Calif. the other 3 seasons are really when we get the most produce. 😊

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fall is my favorite season. Cool, crisp nights, good harvests from the garden, not too hot and not too cold, and beautiful autumn colors.

I don't much care for spring, and I don't think most New Englanders do either. We call it mud season, because first all the winter snows melt, then the spring rains come. It's not a pleasant time to be outside walking, biking, or trying to work in a muddy, probably flooded garden. It's not until around the end of may that things dry out and it's pleasant to be outside again.

The one nice thing about spring mud season is that it's our downtime. Vermont is a tourist state. Summer is a high season, fall "leaf-peeping" season brings more tourists in, and the ski resorts bring people in during the winter. Spring mud season is the one time that the tourists go home and and local people get to breath a sigh of relief and relax. :-)

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just love fall - the smells, the foods, the temperature, everything.

• Lisa K

@monica197 I so agree with you, I love the smell of rain and also when a neighbor has a fire in the fireplace.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

In the North, my favorite "season" is May thru October

In the South, my favorite is October thru May

😆

• Lisa K

This weekend was a perfect Fall weekend even though it is still Summer. It was sunny but low 70’s with a nice cool breeze, I did some watering and some trimming while the bees were still waking up and no red spiders (they do not like cool weather). While trimming back the chocolate mint Geranium I discovered my rose Geranium which if from the original plant is over 40 years old! I trimmed it back a little to get it out of the pathway and I am now trying to root some new plants. Scented Geraniums are edible and I once made a rose scented custard. 

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite weather is fall. It is officially spring here in South America, and we had our first good soaking rain last night. I'm not excited about the heat that's coming, but I'm happy to see everything turn green.

• Lisa K

Tomorrow is officially Fall but we are getting what we call in So. Calif as Santa Ana winds which means it is hot, luckily the heat will peak tomorrow just in time for Fall weather to come back! Can't wait!🍁

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just changed out my summer door decorations for my fall wreath and flowers! LOVE fall the best. I'm good til the day after Thanksgiving now.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

My favorite seasons, in order, are Fall, Spring, Winter, and Summer. I hate high Summer because it's not possible to get more naked than naked when it's miserably hot. At least when it's really cold in the winter you can put on more clothes!