CALENDULA

Comments

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Awesome @silvertipgrizz ! I am growing, at least trying to grow, calendula for the first time. If the chickens and cats will leave them alone I might end up with a few. Thank you for sharing this.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@silvertipgrizz you are awesome! Until a couple years ago, I thought yep kinda nice flower. Now I love them, plant seeds throughout my garden all the time for colour, bees, petals, flowers and all the herbal medicinal uses this spectacular plant offers.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Thank you @silvertipgrizz ! Although I have grown Calendula for 3 years, I did not know I could use the leaves. I offer the flowers to bakers for desserts of all kinds, I use the flowers for teas and I use Calendula with Chamomile to make a healing skin cream. Now I get to experience the leaves ... yeah!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Great post @silvertipgrizz! I just love co-incidence and synchronicity! The following link just arrived in my inbox from The School for Aromatic Studies for a free downloadable Calendula E-book. http://aromaticstudies.com/calendula-download/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=All+about+Calendula%21&utm_campaign=Calendula+E-Book

I would also add the following link to your list, from Rosalee de la Foret, on the Benefits of Calendula: https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/calendula-benefits.html

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Great for cat owners. Cats are hard to treat as they have extremely sensitive systems and many of the herbs we use are not safe for cats. Calendula is. I make a tea of it add just a pinch of sea salt and use it as an eye wash for my elderly cat. He has allergies and that really relieves his eyes.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love Calendula. Great info @silvertipgrizz For some reason its a very under appreciated plant around here. You have to order seeds and plant it yourself, greenhouses never carry it. I love it for the color alone, then add all the benefits and uses.

Thanks @torey The download links are wonderful!~

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am doing herb gardening in the house. Calendula does not like growing in pots for me.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the websites. I planted 4 calendula plants a month ago. They already have a bunch of flowers. I wish I would have bought more than one pack. I'm saving the flowers to make salve.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so excited by all these. I planted several plants last year and they did so-so. But this year they are thriving! I've got flowers in abundance. I've picked so many and have them in jars soaking in oil so I can make salves. But with all this new info I'm definitely going to need to plant more, so many more things to try. 😊

Thanks for sharing your links @silvertipgrizz and @torey.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Awesome! I just order some seeds last week and now thanks to your post I have some excellent resources. Thank you for posting! I use the homeopathic preparations of calendula all the time. I have used it with miraculous results with our chickens, kids, and horse.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

My calendula grow everywhere in the garden, kitchen garden, flower beds. I allow it to have seeds and spread them and now I have so many young plants that I give away to my herbal neighbours and friends.

it is one of my favourite herbs, I collect flowers, dry them, but medicinally I use only petals as some people might be allergic to the plant, but not to petals. I make infusions, tinctures and oils and salves. It is almost for everything

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing! Definitely adding to my pollinator flower garden!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things I wanted to do this weekend is find out how and when to harvest my 2 calendula plants, so thank you very much!

@silvertipgrizz and @torey you have saved me a lot of time.

Calendula infused witch hazel is how I treated my facial injuries, and I've made it for years for bug bites. I am excited to learn more.