Aluminum cutworm collars - any problem?

We have a problem with cutworms. I've been making collars for the plants out of aluminum flashing. I have seen some discussion of a connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. I have eliminated aluminum cookware and anti-perspirants for that reason. Is there any problem with aluminum cutworm collars contaminating the soil? Maybe I should paint them, to prevent soil contact and oxidation?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 4,658 admin
    edited May 17

@Mark Baker What I have heard is to put a toothpick down along the stem of the plant, so that the cut worms can't cut it through.

I put one on either side.

This way, it would not matter about aluminum & is compostable friendly, building your soil one toothpick at a time. 😄

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

I had heard of using plastic forks and placing them next to the plants to keep the cutworms off of them. Think I like the toothpick idea better. Not fond of putting a bunch of plastic in the soil.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 4,658 admin

I should add that I leave the toothpick poking above the soil.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Eastern Ontario, CanadaPosts: 683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18

Most years we just sprinkle cornmeal around our plants; it seems to deter the cutworms. We refresh it after every rain. I don't recall where we got the idea from, but we've been doing that for years.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

For different things such as worms, snails and slugs I use diatomaceous earth.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Annie Kate I forgot about cornmeal!

"Italy is known for tomatoes. Thailand for chilies. Germany for sauerkraut. But tomatoes originated in Peru. Thailand imported chilies from Central America. Sauerkraut started in China. Everything is a remix—and the world is better for it. Share what you know. Learn from others."

-Marjory Wildcraft