Aluminum cutworm collars - any problem?

We have a problem with cutworms. I've been making collars for the plants out of aluminum flashing. I have seen some discussion of a connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. I have eliminated aluminum cookware and anti-perspirants for that reason. Is there any problem with aluminum cutworm collars contaminating the soil? Maybe I should paint them, to prevent soil contact and oxidation?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited May 2021

@Mark Baker What I have heard is to put a toothpick down along the stem of the plant, so that the cut worms can't cut it through.

I put one on either side.

This way, it would not matter about aluminum & is compostable friendly, building your soil one toothpick at a time. 😄

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I had heard of using plastic forks and placing them next to the plants to keep the cutworms off of them. Think I like the toothpick idea better. Not fond of putting a bunch of plastic in the soil.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I should add that I leave the toothpick poking above the soil.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Most years we just sprinkle cornmeal around our plants; it seems to deter the cutworms. We refresh it after every rain. I don't recall where we got the idea from, but we've been doing that for years.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

For different things such as worms, snails and slugs I use diatomaceous earth.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Annie Kate I forgot about cornmeal!