Hyperinflation

As @Marjory Wildcraft has warned us, here is a very detailed explanation of hyperinflation.

With the stock shortages and the video about "Brace for Impact", here's another warning.

Not a very promising look ahead.

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reality is that I'm not ready. I'm working hard at getting there, but I'm not there yet. Worrying doesn't help. Panic makes it worse. So I just have to ask myself "Is there more I could be doing right now?" It's really hard to answer that question. I'm the kind of person that always tries to do as much as I can each day. But on the other hand there is the idea that I'm probably not thinking of something or there my be a better way. In a lot of ways my hands are tied to do the things that I want to because of where I live. Problems won't wait for me to have to perfect setting. Sorry, just venting a bit and open to any suggestions for thinking outside the box. (I get stuck thinking in the box more than I like)

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I never thought about having things that will be rare to use for bartering. Good thought. I am not worried about food. One house is paid for and if I get another I am paying in cash. Water is not issue here but I will stock some up. I plant to work on electricity but fuel - I need to think on that one. There are fuel option out there.

And security is an issue here and I have a plan but it needs to be put in place.

I know those who are like mined need to be somewhat close so they can help each other out.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, and my major worry is our mortgage, but my husband sees no rush in paying it off. If we lose our property, then we have lost all our self-sufficiency capability. That is scary.

Maybe I need to focus more on earning than saving so that I can make a dent in that. Thank you for that link @RustBeltCowgirl

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Michelle D I'm not trying to tick all the boxes. I have some silver stashed, both as Valcambi breakable sticks and as pre-1964 dimes. I need to go through my coffee cans of pennies, in case those return to useful currency again. Pre-1982 coins are 95% copper. Learn skills.

My hands are tied, like yours. But not because of where I live. Mine are tied because my parents do not want to see what is on the track. So much stuff that I can't do because of the amount of push-back that I face. In my case, it's stockpiling useful skills.

• Michelle D

@RustBeltCowgirl you are absolutely right and I really need to keep it in mind that I can't do everything! Skills are the best thing to have.

@Marjory Wildcraft thanks for the encouragement. You are right, I have really great support. Not being able to predict the change is what scares me the most. It's hard to know how to be prepared for what you don't know is coming. I just have to do the best I can and be content with that.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I have tried to stock up on as much or more than others are seeds. Thankfully our property is paid off. I don't have access or income to purchase silver, gold or anything like that. But we have chickens and with enough seeds I can keep us and most likely some neighbors, friends and maybe even family (they don't live close by) fed. Might not be what we are all used to but not gonna go hungry either. I am also getting seed for things I can grow to feed the animals.

As for fuel and power I might suggest looking into wood gasification or some type of fuel made from used cooking oil, those sort of things. If you can find a way to make your own fuel or if you live in an area and building that can do it, maybe even some solar panels and controler with even a couple batteries can make a difference.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

How to think about what might be coming and prepare for it, without being overwhelmed by fear and anxiety, is really hard for me too. We here probably all agree that self-reliance is the key, but even with that there are so very many things to consider that is can easily become overwhelming.

I'm starting an experiment to see if it can help sort things out. I', carrying a small notebook in my pocket for a week, writing down each necessary chore I do each day or need that comes up, and noting what I need for it. At the end of the week I can go through my list to see where I'm really at in terms of day-to-day self-reliance, and what I most need to do to become more self-reliant. If it's a helpful exercise, I plan to repeat it at different times of the year, to catch the changing needs of the season.

In the meantime, attitude is always going to be a major factor. I'm about halfway through Marjory's new book, and I was thinking about it last night. I've been doing this stuff long enough that most of the content so far is familiar material to me, and yet I find the book so engaging that it is hard to put down. I think the reason is the attitude and the philosophy of the book. The book is about developing a natural, self-reliant lifestyle in simple, practical, steps--but not out of fear of what's ahead. The emphasis is on doing this because it is a healthy, satisfying, meaningful way to live--embracing the lifestyle out of joy, not fear. I think the book is going to be a very helpful guide, not just in practical terms of how to do it, but even more in terms of why to do it. It leads to a way of living and thinking that makes the future much less scary.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited May 2021

This is something I am watching closely. I will probably talk about it more later in the week... I haven't been sleeping well and am not my best right now. Here is a good video on the subject, from a homesteader perspective:

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I was thinking about what you said. Like you, extra money doesn't exist. But, we have milk & beef cows, chickens, a horse to ride (reliable transportation if it comes down to it). We are surrounded by grain land (some organic) & even if they might be worm infested later on in the season, berries & other things to forage. We have skills & knowledge. These are valuable even now.

We have a wood burning stove & cookstove. I do cook from scratch and know how to substitute if need be. We have learned how to live minimally without common perks already and should have our little house & bit of land paid off very soon.

We have music (playing & singing), which isn't that tradable, but certainly very valuable in times of stress or bounty.

We have also found community. Not a lot close by, unfortunately (although most of our closest neighbors are okay), but we still have support, which is invaluable.

Specifically on the topic of chickens, if one can get them, heritage birds are certainly the way to go. You would need chickens that would go broody to be worth anything, and that is one trait that a heritage bird has to possess. A really good dual purpose bird that is well sourced would be good too. So many hatchery "heritage" birds just don't live up to the real thing as traits are not of utmost importance. This is why I am excited about the erminette breed (large birds with lots of eggs). The malines aren't far behind, in my opinion (slightly larger with slightly less eggs). It is worth researching. Both are very cold hardy. For hot countries, you would want a bird with larger combs & wattles for effective heat loss, and either of these might work. Something to consider, just as choosing seeds well is important.

Efficiency & stability in a self-sustainable food source...this is the goal.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been hearing so much about being prepared for the coming craziness . I've tried not to worry about it but now that we actually had the gas shortage/outage - whatever you want to call it - I'm much more concerned. Like others have said I have family members who don't want to hear anything about this topic. They think I'm listening to the wrong people. So I have prepared as much as I can without them thinking I'm totally crazy. I have rice and beans, a rocket stove I made a while back just in case, lots of firewood and branches from bushes I pruned last fall (my husband was like what? Why would be save this?) & our Berkey. I figure if the power goes out and doesn't look like it's coming back on I can cook all of the meat in the freezer on the grill so at least it doesn't go bad and save the rocket stove in case I need it. Wish we could have chickens where we live. Like someone else has said I bought extra seeds this year. I'm not the best gardener but I've learned a lot from this forum.

My daughters - especially my younger one who missed all of her senior activities last year and had a hard year at college due to all the isolation and zoom classes is scared easily by listening to me or anyone else talk about needing to be prepared. Hopefully, none of this will be needed and we'll get back to some semblance of normalcy.

• RustBeltCowgirl

The main reason that I have some funds to things like a small amount of silver is because of the things that I can't have. Ducks/chickens - too loud and messy, makes the yard look bad. The next door neighbor is encouraging me to get ducks. Goats/sheep/cow - same as previous. Horse is boarded elsewhere.

Planning to get seeds and vacuum seal them into small bags. I am continueing to add to my electronic library, mostly PDF copies. If Amazon goes down, so does my Kindle library. Unless I find a cheap desktop with humongus storage and download everything.

I just keep plugging. Not much else. Not worth the amount of fight.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leslie Fish's song "Black Powder and Alcohol" comes to mind. (Alcohol here is used as a trade good, not to get yourself inebriated.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kconhr6aVG0

• vickeym

kbmbillups1 One of the ways I have gotten some of my family to stock up a little is due to our sometimes very heavy snowfalls, earthquakes, etc. A couple years ago we had almost 5 feet of snow in a day and night. Plows were working round the clock but some folks were stuck for almost two weeks.

By reminding them of the possible natural situations and how they could be without power during storms or an earthquake I got them to listen some without freaking them out. They are not at the level I would like but they have a small supply on hand now. And have started coming around to the idea that prepping is not just about being scared, or the doomsday folks or something. It is just common sense.

Even the Pandemic can be used to help them get a little start and to help yourself understand without a panic type, overwhelming dread. You could get sick, others panicking could empty shelves of items you normally use. There could be layoffs, businesses that have been forced to close may not have the funds to reopen. If you live where there are major weather issues like hurricanes, tornadoes, even bad lightning storms. Lightning can cause fires. When the store burns down or it damaged it could be closed for awhile and then have to wait for restocking.

Fuel prices are going up, having a stock on hand means fewer unplanned trips to the store so less fuel being used. You can plan the trips to accomplish more in one trip instead of having to go out as often just to go get groceries or other items you could easily have a supply of.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym The media have given prepping a bad rap. Most preppers are focused on getting through a winter storm, a hurricane, or other short-term natural disaster. But TV and other mass media teach the idea that preppers are all crazy people who think the world is about to end, and have a lifetime supply of everything you could want in a giant bunker.

To get friends and family to stock up, it's probably best not to mention "prepping" at all. Just point out the last big storm that closed your local stores for a day, or the empty store shelves during COVID, or the gas stations down South that had no gas for days. That will get through the mental block.

• vickeym

VermontCathy You are correct. I have learned not to say prepping to them. I remind them they were unprepared for the last "__" and wouldn't it be nice to have the extra stuff on hand so you don't have to do without or go fight the crowds to get it when it does get fixed and you can go get some.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I am definitely concerned. Not only about ourselves, we are retired and on a limited income, but for my grandchildren. What will their lives be like? What will happen to us when we have inflation like that in Argentina?

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Wow, she gives the directions on how to make them both. Fun!

Yes, I don't drink alcohol either.

The last time I stocked up on some half gallons of ever clear my teenage son and his friends got into it! Yikes not sure how pariteis I unintentionally lubricated before I found out.

Hah! Now that the kids are out of the house, I am circling back around to that idea of stocking up on alcohol. Antiseptic, making tinctures, lots of great uses for alcohol.

• Marjory Wildcraft

I am considering doing a community call with Lynette Zang the chief market analyst with ITM Trading. I saw here recetnly on another podcast and she seems to have a good understanding of how and what dollar collapse actually looks like in the months / years going forward.

Let me know your interest level and I'll book her.

• RustBeltCowgirl

Why not? People can join the call or not. TGN isn't an "arm twisting" forum.

• Michelle D

@Marjory Wildcraft I would absolutely be interested! That sounds extremely helpful.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I would be interested. I came away with a lot of unanswered questions after a discussion with my brother last month so would welcome any details.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft I am interested too.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

For everyone who is concerned that they aren't doing enough or can't do enough because of circumstances, there are small things that you can work on one at a time to help prepare. I took part in a post-disaster relief summit that was put on following a bad fire season in California. It was more about being prepared for natural disasters instead of hyperinflation but the ideas are similar. One of the presentations was "Do 1 Thing". It allows you to start being prepared without it becoming so overwhelming, by identifying your needs and then choosing one item that you can focus on learning about or stockpiling or preparing each month. If you have family, friends, neighbours who get freaked out when you start talking about being prepared, this is a good way to get them on board. One thing at a time is a good focus when people start getting the deer-in-the-headlights look with regards to the big picture.

Check out the website for ideas and resources on Do 1 Thing.

You can sign up for e-mails and/or become a Do 1 Thing Ambassador to help your community become more prepared.

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

What a great website--sensible, practical, doable plan clearly presented, with some very good resources. I signed up for their emails. Thanks for posting this!

• Marjory Wildcraft

I'm surprised that 48% of people have a plan. That's really great. More than I would have guessed.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft I am very interested to here what Lynette Zang has to say.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say that one of the good things that came out of the whole crazy Covid-19 pandemic from last year is that my husband is warming to the idea of being more self sufficient.

He's even excited about my wanting to apply permaculture principals and ideas to the property that's soon to be ours. He really wants to build a pond so we can have go fishing just like Geoff Lawton, and catch our dinner. And the funny thing is that we don't have any idea how to fish, really.😁

• Marjory Wildcraft

OK, so I am planning to move my homesteading supplies from Colorado to Puerto Rico. I'm looking at options for the move. My first inclination is to buy a 20' shipping container, fill it up, and have it delivered. Then I get to keep the box! But shipping containers are getting scarce and expensive! There is something weird going on in the world of shipping.

Both the price of a container and the cost of moving it have skyrocketed.

This is absolutely going to affect food prices. And the price of everything else... Here is one video explaining the situation (the narrator has that dark tone of voice and I was surprised when he didn't try to sell me some stock investment idea - but the data he presents is accurate) and below that is a graph of the prices of 40' containers.