Electrolytes

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
edited June 2022 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I was asked some time ago to post my electrolytes recipe(s), so here they finally are. The first three were given to me by my midwife years ago. They were to be used in labor. I used the first two and boy were they good throughout that busy time...each time. They may taste a little odd, but I really like their flavor! Enjoy!

One note: keep electrolyte solutions refrigerated once mixed.

2 c. Water, 2 c. Apple juice, a bit of salt, a bit of raw honey, 2 crushed calcium tablets, 1-2 fresh squeezed lemons

1 qt. Water, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1/3 c. Raw honey, 1/3 c. Lemon juice, 1-2 crushed calcium tablets, 1/4 tsp. Baking soda

1/2 c. Orange juice, 9 Tbsp. Sugar, 3/8 tsp. Salt, add enough water to make 2 litres (approx. 8 c.)

#4...from internet because we needed something different that another family member would actually drink...haha

Lemon Lime Electrolyte Solution

3 c. Filtered water, 1/4 c. Local raw honey, 1/4 tsp sea salt, juice of 1 lemon & lime (about 1/3 c.)

Juice citrus. Stain out seeds & pulp (if desired). Add to jar with tight lid. Shake until all is mixed & dissolved. Yield: 1 quart

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Does this mean you drank them during stages of your labor?

To help your stamina/indurance, keep you from tiring so much?

What kind of calcium tabs? plain calcium tablets like supplemental? What brand do you use and what strength?

My grand daughter is due in 3ish weeks and her baby now is at least 8 pounds the last time she weighed.

Thanks so much for the recipes. Couldn't have come at a better time.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2022

I had homebirths, so yes, I did. It was sipping through a bendy straw, not guzzling. Whenever I wanted some, I got some. It was great to boss my husband & others around, which isn't usually my thing, & I enjoyed it without shame. Haha!

It will have helped keep me hydrated & have energy, so yes, stamina, endurance and energy. There are other "tricks" to help all of this too.

Plain calcium tablets. I used as pure as I could find at the time. Read information labels to find the brand that you are comfortable with.

Ah!!! So THAT is why you are asking so many questions! 😂 I figured that you weren't expecting! (And this tidbit just made my post get long...)

Hospitals have rules. Homebirthing does not have the same restrictions. If she is birthing at home, I can give many more suggestions that were useful to me each time. I studied up on it a lot for myself & my future daughters. 😁 I fully support it!

If she is in the hospital, unfortunately, a woman is not given many choices, often due to potential procedures and outdated (I know that seems odd to say) practices. It was in this time that I was introduced to herbs as medicine.

I hope that she can use these recipes. It is best to try them beforehand and have at least 1 gallon on hand. I no longer remember how long it lasts in the fridge. I had to figure that out on my own.

If she doesn't like the calcium tabs in the electrolyte, skip it.

I read yesterday on David Wolfe's site that the last recipe (the same as mine) is great for migraines, replacing certain minerals that have become deficient. I thought that was timely in it's own right. Anyway, on with birthing and postpartum...

Once labor is done, there are safe herbs to help calm after pains (which I didn't know of at the time, but would have killed for), reduce/moderate bleeding and heal tender areas, and of course, as you know, help boost milk production.

If she plans to breastfeed, it is recommended to not agree to any drugs as these have been shown to interfere with breastfeeding. Some make it impossible. Make sure that if she is in the hospital, that she knows that there is a time she might beg for relief, but her body is strong & built perfectly to do this wonderful job. Make sure someone is there who will stand strong for her wishes & insist they are upheld. Make sure through that time that her support is right there to encourage her to stick to her plan. That part is only temporary and everything will be forgotten when the baby appears! 😁

Anyway, I am open to chatting with your granddaughter if she wishes. Midwives & their resources taught me. I would be happy to share that knowledge with her. I even have quick emergency care info for before going to the hospital or waiting for emergency workers to arrive. Plan Bs are important! Women should always support & teach one another. We are strong together.

I am so happy for you. It must be an exciting time.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Hi @LaurieLovesLearning, I was just reading an article that says that when we rehydrate with just water after strenuous activity we are missing the very important replacement of electrolytes. I hopped in here to see if anyone had anything posted and found this. I am wondering if your recipes would "qualify" for just normal rehydration as well?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I like the lemon/lime solution. Or just plain lemon if you don't have lime. This is a recommended solution for any type of rehydration. You could add maple syrup instead of honey if you are giving it to very young children.

Coconut water is very good for hydration. On its own or with flavours (natural juices) added. It is high in potassium as well as other nutrients. (see below)

I have been on plant walks with First Nations Elders and they add a few Soapberries (aka Buffalo Berries, Shepherdia species) to their water bottles when walking. Soapberries are very high in Vitamin C, along with anthocyanins, lycopene and beta-carotene. But, due to its laxative/purgative properties, don't use during pregnancy.

TGN has a really good e-book, The Hydration Handbook, complete with formulas to figure out exactly how much fluid you require, depending on how hard you are working.

Avoid diuretic liquids if you need hydrating. A lot of herbal teas might have diuretic properties. And avoid caffeine. Coffee, tea, chocolate. Depending on the brand, many energy drinks are high in caffeine. Magnesium and potassium are important minerals if you are working very hard. If either is deficient, cramping can occur.

• Torey

This is a nice recipe, too.

Might be a good cocktail base, too, for a hot summer day.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited May 2021

@Desiree They would.

@torey We have done lemonade from whole, sliced, organic lemons & hibiscus, live spring water from a local spring, & sweetened with local raw honey. I don't think that we ever put salt in it though. We will have to do this!

The addition of coconut water would add something different too.

Thanks for passing on the recipe!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't stand the taste of the sports drinks or the Pedialite and my husband is not a fan of lemon. When we had covid we needed to rehydrate ourselves so I made the strawberry one listed on here. It still has lemon but the blend helps mask it somewhat.

HOMEMADE CITRUS ELECTROLYTE DRINK

Servings: 2

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    • 2 cups water (filtered or raw coconut water)
    • 2 tbsp organic raw honey or organic maple syrup
    • 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt

Instructions:

• Put all ingredients in a blender and blend well.
    • Store in mason jars or reusable glass cap bottles

HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY LEMONADE ELECTROLYTE DRINK

Servings: 2

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
    • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    • 2 cups water (filtered or raw coconut water)
    • 2 tsbp organic raw honey
    • 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt

Instructions:

• Put all ingredients in a blender and pulse for about 30 seconds, or until strawberries are pureed. Serve and drink immediately.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds much better than that junk on the market. Thanks for the recipe!

• Sarah Beth
    Sarah Beth Posts: 8 ✭✭✭

Here is a delightful recipe for a fruity, herbal switchel! I've made it numerous times, though I usually use about half the fresh ginger: https://eatbeautiful.net/strawberry-basil-switchel/

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there anyway to make the Electrolytes without citrus.? The Strawberry one looks good but I am allergic to citrus, basil and all kinds of foods.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to TGN S

When you have time, there is helpful navigation info in "Our Front Porch Welcome" at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

The Introductions section can help you find members in your area at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

Glad to have you here!

• Torey

@S Welcome to TGN.

If you can expand your name a bit, it will make it easier for other members to reply with the @ symbol. You don't need to identify yourself completely but something in addition to S will make life easier.

I really like the looks of the switchel recipe. Will have to try it when I get some strawberries.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

wow Thanks so much for all the different recipes! They are all going into my box kept for "necessary recipes".

• Sarah Beth
    Sarah Beth Posts: 8 ✭✭✭

@dipat2005 I believe the ACV in the strawberry switchel recipe serves a similar function as the citrus in the other electrolyte recipes. You could substitute another herb for the basil or just try it without. The recipe is very flexible and forgiving.

@Monek Marie Thank you, I did both!

@torey I am now Sarah Beth : )

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Sarah Beth I missed the chance to welcome you before your handle change. 😉

Welcome here! I hope you have fun hanging out with us.

• Torey
  • dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sarah Beth thank you for the strawberry idea. Basil isn't a problem it is just the citrus. Thank you and welcome!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Thank for sharing your recipes. I really like coconut water for electrolytes. I always seem to need potassium because I seem unable to absorb it very well or I burn through it, especially when stressed. I haven't used sports drinks in ages, since I figured out how much junk they have in them.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

The Electrolyte I have have been using has blueberries.

2C Blueberries, 4C filtered water, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp Potassium Chloride (or Cream of Tartar), 3TBLS Calms (plain), 1/2C Lemon juice, a few drops stevia to taste.

Boil the blueberries and 2C water for 2 minutes, let cool. While cooling put the rest of the water in the Jar you will be using. I use a 50 oz glass jar. Add the salt, Cream of Tartar, Calms. The recipe says to use a metal sieve and strain the cooled blueberries thru it crushing the berries, then add your stevia, and lemon juice to the juice and pour it in the jar with your mineral mixture.

I have a Bullet Blender and just pour the cooled berries, lemon juice and stevia into that and blend the berries and all, then SLOWLY pour into your glass jar with the minerals. Slowly because is will foam up.

Have been using this for years. Lots of magnesium, so drink sparingly until you are use to it.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

The blueberries I use are from frozen.

• LaurieLovesLearning

This sounds tasty (blueberries, yum!), but I am not familiar with Calms. What is it? Is this what gives the extra magnesium?

I see that I get the privilege of being the first member to welcome you to the forum. So, Welcome! 😄

I always like to encourage new members to check out the Rules & FAQ sections to become familiar with them & help answer technical questions. I also ask new folks to give a short introduction in our Introductions section to give us an idea where you are from & help connect you to like-minded folks close by.

I will leave a couple links for you below:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that this is brought back to its present standing. It's allowing me to get all the recipes down because I didn't get the chance last time.😊

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Chris for this recipe. It sounds great. I will have to get some of the Calm.