Ah that mother of mine

She likes to keep me on my toes and not bored! ;)

She had her 6 month check up today and we left early and planned to go to our discount store and take home dinner. She's moving much better than she was when it was winter and she never got out.

The doctors building is partially shut down to to our strict covid regulations so I dropped her off by one door and planned to park the car. As she shut the door she somehow hit her leg but seemed ok. I parked the car and came back to find a blood trail.

She was waiting to be buzzed in and I told her she was bleeding. "Oh that's not me". "Mom look at you pant leg."

Somehow the very bottom of the door hit her calf and it ripped the skin open, not the pants just skin. She never made it to her doctor but spent 4 hours in the emergency ward. And she has 10 stitches and a 3 inch gash.

I picked up one of her favorite meals and tonight will be a quiet night.

My work weekend may be put off or I will have to send her to my brothers. Life is never boring.

Tagged:

Comments

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I’m so sorry... the best laid plans.

your mother is so fortunate to have you there to take care of her! 💗

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella She was all bummed out and could not believe it happened but I told her she was fortunate it happened right at the hospital. I wuld have had a difficult time handling this by myself in the car, Waiting for an ambulance where I live is a bit dicey.

The poor lady at the front desk about passed out.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad your mom is okay.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my! I'm so glad that you were at the hospital already, my goodness.😲

I pray she recovers quickly, is able to get back up and move around easily.😊

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Well made mom plans to go in a new direction and thank goodness you were able to adapt quickly to that situation @Denise Grant thanks for sharing your experience.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh My. Sorry your work weekend may have to be postponed. But glad you were there with her and at the hospital. You said the lady at the front desk passed out? Wow, she works in a hospital and passed out over a gash and some blood. I think that would scare me more than the gash did.

• Monek Marie

@vickeym I am looking at the weather to see whn I can reschedule.

I had to laugh, we are in the one ER room waiting for another person to sew mom up and she looks at me and says, "I suppose this means my modeling career is over. " "Yes Mom, it's time to retire" Grant humor... even in the ER

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Glad your mom is ok and you were able to be with her.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denise Grant I love the sense of humor! I am sure that sense of humor has helped you both in many situations.

• Monek Marie

Thank you all for your comments and support. Its helped make a not so fun event manageable.

Mom has no pain and I hope the cut does not leave a last scar. The cut looks good so far. It definitely could have been much worse.

What she will do to get out of a doctors appointment!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear that both of you are doing okay.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

You are such a good daughter @Denise Grant ! Sounds like she's a good friend, too.

My mother-in-law was staying with us. She had dementia and came to our bedroom door every evening to ask for her keys so she could go home the next day. Drove my husband crazy as he hated to lie to her. One evening, the dishwasher was open and she fell on the door cutting a roughly 3 inch flap of skin on her leg as if she had used a cheese cutter. She didn't want to go to the emergency room as she said she couldn't feel anything. Ouch! We took her and yes it took hours then 20 stitches later we were back at home. She totally healed in three days even though it was really awful when she did it. Best circulation I'd ever seen!

• Monek Marie

@frogvalley Glad your mother in law did so well. 20 stitches - ouch!

Yes, Mom and I are good friends and always have been. We have had 3 art shows together. She is a very talented person.

• Monek Marie

I took one look at mom today and called 911. She has pneumonia, which is better than I what thought might be wrong 10 hours in emergency and finally they found her a room. Our hospital is packed. If she had not come in by ambulance she would still be waiiting in a hallway

So far its been a challenging year

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Denise Grant Oh my. Not good, this stupid weather doesn't help. Hope she gets well soon.

• Monek Marie
    edited May 2021

My mothers cut she got on April 8 is really doing well. The last few days have been amazing on how it looks. Is there a sauve I could put on for the scar?

We also got the bill for this today. Thankfully her medicare covered it but , ouch... $1100.00 for a 3 inch cut and 10 stitches.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Denise Grant happy to hear your mom is doing well!

Comfrey and Calendula come to my mind. Doc Jones as one for wounds and there is an article on the TGN site dated 2014.

I can so sympathize with you, more than once I have gone to my dad's and he has a nasty bruise and it was do to falling! I have tried to mitigate as many potential hazards but one cannot find them all. One good outcome is he let's me do more and more which makes me happier.

• Monek Marie

My mom turned 92 yesterday! For her age I think she is doing well. I spoiled her rotten.

Her cut is healing well and her pneumonia seems to be gone. One final Xray will tell us.

• RustBeltCowgirl

Yay, for your mom.🎂

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@Monek Marie Tell her Happy Birthday from us!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Your mom and mine have the same birthday! So cool. 🎂

I hope she had a wonderful day. Give her my best.😊

• Monek Marie

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina Wish her as happy Birthday!~