Amazing Cookbook to collect

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I just purchased Darra Goldstein’s Beyond the North Wind: Russia in Recipes and Lore. I can tell this is going to be an amazing culinary journey, loaded with history. I’m guessing that if you live in a cold climate and are growing your own food that this will have loads of hints as to what to preserve, etc. A few recipes I’m looking at right now are Dandelion Blossom Syrup, Farmer’s Cheese, Sea Buckthorn Tonic, and a médicinal Hot Spiced Honey that people used to add goodies like St. John’s Wort and for tips to. If you enjoy cookbooks you might love this one!

Comments

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cool! I love the unusual cookbooks, in fact besides being addict to seeds I am also addicted to cookbooks!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I love cookbooks. This one looks really excellent. But I will have to look for this one in a used book store as the new price is a bit high for my book budget.

• Megan Venturella

@torey I know, it’s a little pricey! My birthday is coming up, so I thought why not?

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella Happy Birthday! Looks like an interesting cookbook!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Megan Venturella I know nothing of Russian cuisine, so thanks for sharing. Happy birthday and I was just gifted this lovely cookbook.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of time I have waited until books have gone on sale, either the actual book or the Tablet version.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

That looks awesome. Let me know if it's a must have after you get a chance to be more acquainted with it. I love cookbooks!

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

That book looks very interesting! My taste in cookbooks has changed since I'm both corn free and gluten free. Would this one fit the bill in that department? I'm thinking there might be lots of bread tho. Corn not so much maybe?

Happy Birthday! Kinda fun to buy our own gifts to get exactly what we "need" 😁

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like seed addict's are automatically book addicts (especially cookbooks lol).

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

That looks amazing! I lived in a very multicultural neighbourhood for quite a few years and I grew to love Russian food and also their health info. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get most of the ingredients here. I recently bought a book on Persian cuisine and a few German ones. I'm looking forward to cooking more in the future, once I get moved and have my greenhouse going. I think Cornelius is right. Seed addicts are recipe book addicts too!

• Megan Venturella

@Brindy I had a stomach bug and haven’t tried the recipes yet, but I will keep you posted!

@soeasytocraft There is a section on bread and pies, but you could still use the sections on ferments, vegetables, soups, etc. It might give you new ideas on how to eat what can, and if you have a good gluten-free flour blend you love you might even try modifying a few of the other recipes.

@Cornelius @Sharie Its almost embarrassing- you are 100% correct. I am a seed addict as well as a cookbook addict. It’s as if you’ve met me! I have a tab open right now on the computer for baker creek seeds, and I also justified a rather large seed purchase this month too!!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@Sharie and @Megan Venturella We need an excuse to get more seeds (I can make this and that if only I grew this...)😂 Plus you can never have too many seeds (or cookbooks) and increasing biodiversity and variety is important (in both our gardens and our meals). I have a huge wish list of seeds and plants and whenever I can I try to pick away at it (and then I find something new/ interesting and then it gets bigger so it will never stop growing (I'm ok with that, there are worse problems lol (like not having seeds 😱))).

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Thank you @Megan Venturella , I hope you recovered quickly.