Good article on grey water systems

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Definitely check the legalities for your area. In my area, grey water systems are no longer legal at all (although, I do know a few people who have "gone under the radar", as suggested in this article).

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Cool. Thank you for sharing this. I have no idea why there are legal problems revolving around this. How is recycling water ever a bad thing? I guess if people aren't doing it properly.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the idea of Greywater. I realize that with chemicals in the laundry it may not be feasible but with careful researching it might work.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@RustBeltCowgirl it is interesting that you chose this topic for discussion. Two days ago I frightened my husband with my new ecological idea (He likes a quiet life and I like challenges and changes😉). I was thinking how could we use the water from the washing machine for flushing the toilet. As I am washing only with plants (ivy or chestnuts or soapwort) and use only self made apple vinegar for rinsing I am sure that the water is suitable. However, it would be too complicated to install a proper system. My simple version would be just filling buckets with grey water and flushing manually from buckets.... well... I have not started yet. It is just an idea.

For watering the plants we have more that enough rainwater. At least this year.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

This part of the country is experiencing a bad drought. I have started capturing some of the faucet water wasted while waiting for water to get hot. I then use the water outside to water non irrigated plants instead of using the garden hose. (In the desert, you also waste water outside waiting for the hose water to get cool enough so it doesn't kill your plants.)

Unfortunately, capturing water this way is cumbersome and I have not developed large capacity storage. That means some clean water will still be returned to the sewer system and probably partially evaporated on the way to the treatment plant.

Grey water systems would be great.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked to my landlord about greywater, but he felt it would be too much to change the plumbing. In places where there is severe drought, I've seen people remove the pipes from sink drains and put buckets under them. When the bucket has enough water, it flushes the toilet.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have looked in to doing a grey water system in the past. Water is fairly plentiful where I live. We are planing on putting in some rain water catchment systems for watering the yard and green house. Might look into doing a grey water system later, depending on regulations.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the condensation from my air conditioner to water my garden during the summer.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grey water regulations are horrible where we live. You do it thier way or get fined.

I would like to have a pond that clears the grey water but they laughed until they cried when I mentioned it. We still have a "grandfather" septic system but they are trying to close them all down around here.

I am hoping we get new people and fresh ideas here.

• shllnzl

@kbmbillups1 Condensation from my air conditioner used to run through a pipe onto my lawn, eventually killing a small patch of lawn. Then I put a small decorative birdbath under the pipe to catch the water -- the birds would not drink the water, even though I am in a desert environment. My brother-in-law works on air-conditioners and told me the condensation water was bad, although I don't remember why.

I would guess that toxins are in the condensate water, so I wouldn't recommend you use the water for your plants.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl Thanks for the heads up.

• shllnzl

@kbmbillups1 You're welcome.