A Lodge like no other?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited June 2021

Beautiful & expensive!

We need @JodieDownUnder to tell us about the underground towns in Australia.

I'm also fascinated with the house caves in parts of Europe.

I wonder how they manage the real potential problem of mildew & mold in this particular cave since it seems always damp/wet?

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning

Did you notice some of the rock walls look like they have been sprayed with shellac or something else shinny? I wonder if somehow that might mitigate some of the mildew/mold issue? It sure is pretty though...the cave that is lol

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2021

@silvertipgrizz I'm not sure. There are puddles in various pictures & they tell you to bring good shoes because the floors can be slippery. Although there is a vent of some sort in one of the shower walls.

Here are more pictures.

We compared how far we would have to go west in Canada to be the equivalent of going down there (@19 hours of driving, or 17 days of walking, haha). We would get to Penticton BC to pick apples & peaches, but not quite get as far as the Pacific Ocean...or we could go a slightly different route west & go see @torey instead! 😄

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Well, it certainly is unique. I would like to see it although, I'm not sure that I would want to stay in it. If I could afford it. :)

I think there might be a problem cleaning all those rough bits. I'm thinking of all the cobwebs and dust bunnies in my house.

It does look as though that waterfall leaks or has over spray onto the floors.

Yes, @LaurieLovesLearning. Come visit! Or I could meet you in the Okanagan and we could pick fruit. They have just started harvesting cherries in Osooyoos.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2021

@torey That would be so fun! Unfortunately, leaving my province (and the money to do so) isn't an option right now.

I can't wait until the BC cherries & peaches appear in the stores here. I always wait for those wonderful times!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to go tour Underground Seattle.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@silvertipgrizz @LaurieLovesLearning

Coober Pedy is the most popular “underground town” in Australia. Roughly 60% of the residents that live there, live underground. I’ve never visited.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coober Pedy does look a lot like something out of Mad Max.

It's really amazing that they were able to do all that with just what they had. @JodieDownUnder Thanks for sharing.

@LaurieLovesLearning I remember watching a documentary or show of some kind many years ago about the owners or rather the second owners of Beckham Cave. It was fascinating, but not for me. I don't think I could live there. I believe they were talking about how they moved out and were going to let people rent it out.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2021

One concern that I do have about the Beckham Cave is of a possiblity, if one lived there too long, of getting sick in the enclosed damp area? Things (bacteria) do grow in caves and I think that there is some sort of pneumonia or something that can develop over time. I think that I heard something to that effect about someone who used to visit a cave (I think that it may have been one of the later "discoverers" of Wind Cave in South Dakota) on a regular basis & spent vast amounts of time in it because it offered solace & an escape & because it was beautiful. I don't know if that might be a concern or not with this cave too.