Ways to Stay Cool

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have had some HOT temperatures for our part of Oregon. Granted it doesn't get up to 100 but it is still very warm especially when I cannot uses air conditioning. The mold problem in Oregon is really off the charts and really gets to me in the summer months. I use a tall stand fan indoors during the day. i do open windows and doors early in the morning too.

I have found that one of the ways I like to stay cool is to wet a dish towel and put it into the refrigerator or better yet the freezer. it doesn't matter if you forget it and it comes out stiff as a board. Lay it on top of your head or across your lap or shoulders.

I have also frozen a larger towel and frozen it in a U shape and then placed it around my neck and gone out to pick whatever crop is ripe. It really helps cool the body down.

What are some of the ways you stay cool in the HOT temperatures of summer??

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

My VFD has neck coolers for when we are out in extreme heat. They have polymer gel water crystals in them that stay cool when soaked in water. There are several different brands on the market.

• dipat2005

@torey thank you for reminding me about the other neck coolers.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 One of the best ways is to get your feet cold; even a bucket of cold tap water to soak them in can help a lot.

The totally best way, of course, is to go swimming, but that is not for everyone.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

A good fan and a water spritzer! Spray my face every so often and let the fan hit it!! That's how we cool minor to moderate heat casualties in the ER!!

• dipat2005

@ltwickey that is a great idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks so much. @Annie Kate that would feel amazing!

• Torey

To add to the spritzer idea, herbal infusions would be a great addition for use in a spritzer. Chamomile is soothing and nourishing for the skin and is cooling for sunburn. Calendula is very good for the skin. Lemon verbena has a wonderful scent and would be very refreshing. Oatstraw has minerals that are good for the skin and has cooling properties. I'm sure there are others that would work, too.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Where I live the summer season is long hot and very humid. In addition to what everyone else said, I've found several things help me. I go barefoot inside, wear a birkenstock type sandal when working outside, and sandals when out and about. My hair is long and I keep it off my neck. Staying hydrated really helps me handle the heat. Wearing light weight, breathable clothing sleeveless tops, capris or shorts, flowing type dresses .

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once, when we had an outdoor event, and the temperature was close to 40 ℃, a friend loaned me a wet washcloth with a few drops of peppermint EO. It was a lifesaver. I added a little water when it started to dry out, and it kept me cool enough to survive the event.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend that used zip ties to attach drip tape to a fan. It blows a slow mist on him when he is out grilling or relaxing in the yard. The idea wouldn't be helpful inside or when getting things done in the yard, but it works well to cool off after all the hard work.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

During the hot months, I try to not eat warming foods like meat and increase cooling foods like cucumbers. This is the time I don't eat the food that causes inflammation for me.

My body temperature raises dramatically when I wear non-cotton fabrics or fabrics with dyes that are new, so I pretty much stick with light colored thin cotton as much as possible.

Glonoinum is my go to homeopathic remedy for when I really can't function in the heat.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Large amounts of vitamin C as a supplement work, too. Like grams. According to Adele Davis, if I remember correctly, they used to give extra C to miners in the tropics so that they could work harder in the heat.

• dipat2005

@frogvalley a new homeopathic remedy-Glonoinum. @Annie Kate I can see where Vitamin C would work. I have not been feeling at all well the last two weeks and I am missing something.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

All of the suggestions sound great. I'm just adding to the cooling mist---try rose water or rose hydrosol.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I've found this year that hibiscus tea helps me to not feel as draggy when it's hot. I'll make a batch of concentrate and keep in the fridge a couple of days.

• dipat2005

@blevinandwomba the hibiscus tea reminds me of the green drink I use for allergies that I could stick in the fridge. Sounds like a great idea. @water2world rose water sounds interesting as well. I had never heard of rose hydrosol and looked it up. Thanks!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

My son had a ferret that was suffering from sun or heat stroke. He was stiff. We gave him Glonoinum and all was well in short order. Can't imagine what would have happened if we didn't try it on him.

• Torey

@frogvalley I just put a vial of Glonoinum in my travelling medical bag. Thanks for the tip!

• dipat2005

@torey what a great idea. I have several first aid kits around but not an herbal kit. Guess I should make one.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

What about adding mint to the spritzer? I feel like that would be refreshing.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I live in northwestern WA and the heat has not struck yet. We are lucky to live just up from the bay, so even when it does get hot elsewhere around the valley, we usually have a cool breeze off the water. However, there are days when it does get hot and muggy... These suggestions are great for when, even we, get a heat wave. When it does get hot, I do tend to drag and have a hard time with it.