What do you do on a rainy day?

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have needed rain, but it did not just rain. Thunder, lightening, tress rooted up and flash flooding. Our property did ok but down the road had its adventures. I was also on the road during some of it making an emergency pick up. Its challenging when you don't see the end of your car hood.

So I knew it might be a fun weather day from the weather report, so I was prepared to write letters, do paperwork and make outdoor plans for the following day. The thought of reading a book briefly danced in my plans.

Well, that changed in the morning. My challenged but adorable rabbit had three babies. She did get loose one day and another "female' got out of the cage. Well, it was not a female as I was told and I was really hoping there would be no babies. But she had three and I had to get them out as soon as possible as it was apparent she would not be a good mom. So I am nursing three kits. I had to make an emergency trip to Tractor Supply to get kitten replacement milk. And so the heavy rain began at that time.

When I returned home I heard massive noise from my goats, took my supplies in the house and headed down to see what the issue was. I went out with no coat. After all you can only get so wet.

Well, my one expecting goat is having babies. Three in all and all cute and sweet. But I had to travel through mud to get to their pen and was really drenched.

So what do you do on rainy days?

Comments

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Never a dull moment in your house?

Congrats on the addition to your "landscaping" crew. Is it worth considering getting Ms. Bunny spayed?

• Monek Marie
    edited June 2021

@RustBeltCowgirl Normally ms Bunny is not around other bunnies but...

And yes, for her health alone, being a pet with special needs she should be spayed. I am not sure if anyone does rabbits in my area.

Dull moments? I wish... I would pay good money for just 5 minutes of dull or boring.

One more addition(s) to the work crew will be arriving in less than a week!. I may have to rent them out

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

I don't know about rabbits but if you ever run out of milk replacer or in your case need it for the surprises in our lives, just use whole milk. I just buy the gallons at the store, yes straight from the cow not pasteurized is better but couldn't find anyone close to me that had any.

Since than we have used it all the time, I lost babies before on calf replacer but none after starting to buy many gal (the casher is like "lots of kids?), Yea these just have 4 legs!, "What?"

We use it for kids (goats), lambs, calves.

For kittens I just get evaporated in the can - make sure it's whole, not fat free, 50% milk 50% water

I found cans of whole dry (powdered) milk, by Nido. Just raised 5 kittens with that, they are all fat, so must be ok.

What are dull moments? I don't know what that is!

• Monek Marie

@bcabrobin I never thought of evaporated milk. I always have some on hand

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie How are all your new babies doing?

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie My goodness! Hearing about the goings-on that happen around you is so unreal. I'm thinking, forget the book, we need to get you, your own TV show.😄

I have things I'd love to do on raining days however it's still possible for me to do most of everyday life/work, for now anyways. When we move into our new place that will be a whole another story. And one I'm so looking forward to.😁

Now in my current place if it rained and there was thunder, lightening, the whole sha-bang and the power went out, well now I can do more of what I'd like, light the candles and play board/card games with my kids, or we can all read a book together. Just be together quiet and still. Just hanging out.😊

• Monek Marie

@RustBeltCowgirl All the new babies are doing well

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina Every day is a bit like a zoo around here

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I made my own version of seed tape using a paper towel, Elmer's white glue and seeds. I used this method last year and it worked well. I need to keep careful records because this year I will be using that long garden space and planting beans, some seed tape and I found a packet of flower seeds from the Library. I will again be planting the greens on seed tape.

• Monek Marie

Glad it worked for you @dipat2005 I make my own seed tape for those small seeds. Saves money!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite things to do when it is raining is baking and reading.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I must admit, my rainy days are not so busy! lol I couldn't handle your rainy day----just give me a book, let me read and smell the rain.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I like to sit outside and just enjoy listening to the rain. I have a wide open view of the mountains so on the rare occasion we get lightening it's pretty impressive. Tea or a glass of wine and a book make a nice addition :)

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sharie and @water2world I also love the listen to the rain and also the smell of the rain!