Ice cream recipes

Monek Marie
Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw mention in another link on how many products are changing due to using cheaper ingredients to keep costs down.

I like "good" ice cream and about the only way to get that any more is to make your own. Its fun and a great family project. We had a lot of ice cream parties growing up.

Do you make ice cream and do you have a favorite recipe?

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Monek Marie gee hard ask, ice cream is so popular and I do try not to have it in the freezer. BUT a couple of weeks ago, I had a craving for some and happened to find the following recipes. I tried the berry coyo version because I had the ingredients, gotta say, it hit the spot.

I look forward to seeing other recipes on this post.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

We might be getting an ice cream maker soon and I'm so excited to learn how to use it!

• Monek Marie

@COWLOVINGIRL Ice cream makers are fun and easy. making your own, its healthier and we have such fun memories as a family doing this.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I got an ice cream maker from my in-laws when my kids were very young and I have had one ever since. The one I have now is the kind that you put the tub in the freezer before churning so no need for ice and salt.

This is one of my favourite recipes to use with an ice cream maker.

This next recipe doesn't use an ice cream maker and is ready right away. Its more of a frozen yogurt than ice cream but very good and very easy.

1 MINUTE BERRY ICE CREAM

500 gr (1 lb) – Frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. or a mix)

3-4 Tbsp. (or to taste) – liquid honey (or agave syrup, maple syrup, etc.)

500 gr (2 cups) – Greek style yogurt

Extra fresh or thawed berries

Mint sprigs

Process frozen berries (do not thaw) (if fresh, freeze first) in food processor until like fine breadcrumbs (a blender doesn't work for this recipe). Add yogurt and honey and process till well combined. Serve immediately or place in freezer for 30 min. before serving. Divide fresh berries between 4 dishes. Top with scoops of frozen berry ice cream/yogurt. Garnish with mint sprigs.

Optional: Add chopped chocolate pieces during the last few pulses.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm unable to eat dairy and my kids are a little sensitive to it as well, so when I make ice cream I use frozen ripe bananas most of the time.

But I have an ice cream maker like yours @torey, the insert goes in the freezer. And my second oldest loves baking and cooking so she's been looking for ice cream recipes that we can make using coconut milk and other non-dairy milks. Some have not been the best, others aren't too bad. But we're still looking and experimenting.

So far our favorites are still the ones I make with frozen ripe bananas. 😊

• Torey

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina

The recipe link that @JodieDownUnder under posted has lots of non-dairy recipes.

I'd try the berry ice cream with a full fat coconut milk. It might be a bit soft when it first comes out of the food processor but should freeze up nicely in an hour or so in the freezer. Actually, I think I might try that for dessert tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

We always had an ice cream maker when I was a kid. The smallest would start cranking, and we would work up to the strongest person (Dad) to finish it up. We used fresh goat's milk. It was so good.

Now, I have to avoid dairy, so I use frozen bananas, coconut milk, a little vanilla, and cocoa powder to make ice cream in my Vitamix. If I have frozen fruit, I'll throw that in, too. Pineapple is especially good with bananas.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Everybody that can't have dairy, here are some recipes that someone that I follow has put out that look really good. Hope this helps!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Monek Marie thank you for starting this discussion. I am trying out different recipes as I am waiting for my grandchildren to stay with me for a few weeks. So far I have never used an ice cream maker. May be it is the right time to obtain one. @torey thank you for the recipe - 1 minute berry ice cream. I am making notes. I have tried simply freezing strawberries blended with sugar in a silicon form, but, so far I am not satisfied with the result. I guess I have to add some water, so that it is more solid.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited June 2021

We have a couple plug in machines that use ice & salt. Considering that we have a jersey cow, I don't know why we don't make ice cream more often. Buying ice is kind of a hassle here and making lots of ice cubes takes up so much freezer space...so that's most likely why.

We are going to be getting a few pigs on Thursday. One is going to be a succulent pig roast one day. We hope to be able to invite our daughter & some friends for that. I had been thinking that some homemade ice cream would go very well with a pig roast party. 😋

Here is our very basic vanilla ice cream recipe that my Grandpatents often used at Christmas. We'd go skating on the beaver dam & bring back some ice for our treat.

I think I also have a second recipe somewhere where you would cook up a custard (not really a custard...I just can't think of the term atm) beforehand, which would precook the egg with other ingredients & make it easier to suspend additional ingredients.

One thing that I have learned is that reducing the sugar increases the size of the ice crystals, making it not as smooth. This is one of those recipes where I don't decrease sugar content.

I live the creamy feel of the creamy ice cream on the roof of my mouth. Only homemade has that property. 😋

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I've never made ice cream. I have blended frozen berries or mango with banana to make a very simple frozen dessert or skip the banana and use yogurt. I like to make a chocolate sauce (cacao powder, cacao butter and coconut oil) that freezes when I pour it over this mixture so it's kind of like a crackle effect. Sweeten with maple syrup.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for making this and for all of the recipes. I have been thinking about making my own ice cream but do not currently have an ice cream maker. Is there a way to use a Vitamix blender as one?

• Torey

@Cornelius The recipe I posted above for the berry ice cream might be able to be made in a Vitamix. My regular blender won't do the job, though. @Tave's recipe above uses a Vitamix.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@torey Thank you so much!

• Tave

@LaurieLovesLearning Do you just have the freezer with the fridge, or do you have a deep freeze? We used to freeze water in plastic gallon or 2-liter bottles, then bust them up with a hammer to put in the ice cream maker. The plastic would break in the process, or we would cut it with a knife, so we didn't have to worry about getting the ice out.

• LaurieLovesLearning

We have both. I think we might have to drink pop to do that. It's very rare in our house, but an interesting idea. Didn't it make a mess with ice going everywhere?

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@LaurieLovesLearning I have used zippered freezer or storage type bages to freeze water into large chunks of ice. Then I open a small corner of the bag. Slide it into a couple of grocery store plastic bags or large paper bags and break it up with a hammer. Outer bag helps keep it contained and both bags will help keep it cleaner. I usually take it outside somewhere to break it up. easier to find a hard surface to bang on and any that escapes can just melt where it is. No real clean up needed.

That said I reallt need to find an "EASY" hand crank ice cream maker. My shoulder can't take a lot of hard or very stiff cranking and we are off grid so not much electric available. I do have a Vita Mix though I don't get to use it as often as I want to. It takes too much power for my (solar powered) inverter. I can't start our big generator by myself and little one won't run it. Will add some of the recipes I have when I have a chance to look them up.

• Tave

I don't remember ice going everywhere. We may have used something to keep it from flying. We didn't drink pop, but it was so long ago that I don't remember where we got the jugs.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I've never made it the traditional way. But my husband and I take cream, honey and sometimes cocoa powder (occasionally mint extract) and make homemade whipped cream and then freeze it. It's kind of like gelato.

• Torey

I made the 1 Minute Berry Ice Cream with coconut milk and it worked out very well. Needed more than one can (14 oz.) of coconut milk, though. About 1/4 of a second can.

• Monek Marie

This looks good and I have a watermelon I need to use as soon as possible. I tried to copy the recipe but my cranky computer would not allow me too. ( I guess the heat is bothering it too)

I plan to make this later today

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Nothing and everything to do with making ice cream.

So.......I bought my son and his new wife a Kitchen Aid mixer as their first wedding present. Soon after, I bought an ice-cream making attachment and was so thrilled to be able to give this fun item as a bonus gift.

Well, long story short, a year before Co-Vid we found out that she had an affair, stole my husband's inheritance, kicked my son out of the house to live in a car, sold the new car he just bought for her with money his aunt gave him to start their new life together, lied about paying off my son's school loans with money we gave her to pay it off, put a trip to Europe on his credit card making him pay it off AND KEPT THE MIXER AND ICE CREAM MAKER. They divorced - thank goodness and I'd pay every penny again to be rid of her.

WOW! I was wondering why I have anxiety issues when I pass the Kitchen Aid displays. I can eat ice cream now, but the thought of making it..........well, you know.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I'm lactose intolerant so I experiment a lot with non dairy ice cream. If you find a coconut milk ice cream recipe that looks interesting you can sub some of the coconut milk for coconut cream to get a creamier, fuller fat ice cream. If you want to make a flavor that doesn't really blend well with coconut you can sub soaked raw cashews. To lighten up the fat content you can sub in some frozen zucchini (peeled unless you don't mind green ice cream).

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@frogvalley one never knows what associations food, smell, sound can be raised. One would think that ice cream would raise pleasant associations, but... Your example shows that anything can be white or black.

i have just ordered and ice cream maker and am waiting for my grandchildren to arrive. I am full of hopes that making ice cream together will be a lot of fun. But you never know

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@annbeck62 Thank you for the suggestions. I'll have to try them out.😊

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

This is one of my family's favourites - be warned - do not eat this just before bed!

Coffee Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream

2 cups milk

1/2 cup coffee beans, roughly crushed with a rolling pin

4 egg yolks (I often just use 3 eggs cause I hate having to deal with just the whites)

3/4 cup sugar

2-4 oz of Dark or Bittersweet Chocolate chopped fine

In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and crushed coffee beans to just under a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand at least 1 hour for the beans to infuse their flavor.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Pour the cream mixture into the eggs, whisking until well blended.

Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly, enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve and chill.

Freeze in an ice-cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions. Add chocolate toward the end of the cycle and let mix in. Cover the ice cream tightly with plastic wrap and freeze.

• LaurieLovesLearning

😂 I do the same thing with eggs if the recipe result allows.

We have been talking about making ice cream. This recipe sounds like it would be popular here. The thing is, being ADHD, this might be just the thing to help us sleep! Strange, but true.

Since mint is in season, I think I might just add it in too.

Thanks!

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I make ice cream and love experimenting. I’ve been making almond milk ice cream sweetened with stevia or erythritol and has an egg yolk/custard base. It tastes great and is perfect when it comes out of the ice cream maker but once frozen, it gets very hard and needs a long time to soften up. Still looking for that perfect recipe.

• indysgirl
    indysgirl Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

For recipes that take egg yolks (custard style ice cream), **use a thermometer**. Most old-fashioned recipes for custard (and ice cream made with a custard base) say something about when the mixture "coats the back of a spoon" which is just too vague. If you don't cook the mixture enough, it tastes egg-y. If you cook it too much, it will curdle. There is a reaction that happens at about 180 degrees F (The proteins in the eggs bind with ? the sugars? or something) You want to get all the way through that process, so you keep watching the thermometer and stirring while the temp sits there at 180, and when it reaches about 182 (meaning as soon as the temp starts climbing again), you're done--you want to take it off the heat. (You do not want the mixture over 185.)

(Read the instructions carefully on the recipe from Martha Stewart above--she talks about using a thermometer--one of the few.)

Also, with lots of really good recipes, you end up with rock-hard ice cream when you put it in the (actual) freezer. To keep the ice cream scoop-able and creamy, we add 2-4 Tablespoons of an appropriately flavored liquor.

• Torey

Welcome to TGN's forum @indysgirl. Great suggestion for adding a bit of liqueur to keep it on the softer side.

Have you had a chance to check out "Our Front Porch Welcome" at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

We also have a discussion section that allow you to introduce yourself and let us know what part of the world you are from: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions