Paleo and Keto backup foods? your suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting a lot of questions from folks on the keto or paleo diets on what foods can they buy now to stock up?

That would be protein and fats...

Yes, I tell them to get chickens, rabbits, a garden for fresh food... and a stock of backup supplies is really a good idea.

In general the question of what to stock up on for those of us who mostly fresh is a big question.

But no doubt, protein and fat are the more challenging foods to produce and the best to have a stash of.

Here are some that I've been thinking of - and noticing the exp dates

1. tuna fish, especially from brands that measure the mercury content. I'm seeing exp dats of 6/23 for water stored tuna.
  2. canned coconut milk is mostly fat and I'm seeing an 8/22 exp date on my recently purchased cans
  3. epic duck fat comes in jars. looks shelf stable until opened. not sure how long you can store it.
  4. Mayonaise is mostly fat and OMG, the exp date on my jars is already passed! LOL. It tastes good and I've eaten it. I guess Puerto Rico is the end of the line for the food chain and we tend to get older stuff.
  5. freeze dried beef and chicken. (I bought a chunk of a cow, 25 free range chickens, and a freeze dryer just for this). Freeze drying lasts for up to 20+ years if done properly. But you can't freeze dry fats so these are lean meats.
  6. jerkied meats? not sure how long they last in storage.
  7. pickled eggs? again not sure how long they last but the Chinese have claims of 1,000 years LOL

I'm also thinking about getting a 7 cu. ft. deep freezer and filling it with meat and butter and other fats. Those are getting so energy efficient now that even in a grid down situation it would not take much solar power to keep the freezer going. But frozen meat is only good for a year or two at the most. Maybe smoked meats would last longer in the freezer?

The other option of course is to store tradable stuff so you can get what you want even if you don't eat it. Things like honey, sugar, alcohol, beans, grains, and rice... So these are foods with long shelf lives which YOU might not eat, but others would.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for what paleo or keto people can stock up on? And approximate shelf life?

Thanks!

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin
    edited July 2021

In my opinion, stocking up is not the best option, this is:

Beaver is clean meat, with a flavor and texture like grass fed beef.

And, you are right, salting and smoking meat is the best way to preserve it - my great grandfather made hams and bacon in the old smoke house. It is really an easy skill to learn - I enjoy it! With a smoke house, you can preserve a side of beef, a deer or a whole hog.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,617 admin

love that! Yes, my backup backup is eating mice, gophers, and rats. Not from the city of course... they can be made to be quite tasty - I've done it.

most of the folks in the paleo and keto space are still thinking they will not ever have to grow or forage their own food. let's hope they are right, but i see strong signs to the contrary.

a little food insurance is a good thing IMHO.

• judsoncarroll4

Oh, also ont he farm, we used to make our own sausage and either dry it or can it in fat.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 580 admin
    edited July 2021

If it were me...I'd buy as much local grass-fed meat and fish as I could afford and I would can it all so it's shelf-stable. I like to can meat alone...or make bases for soups, stews, and casseroles.

I'd also buy as much produce as I could and dehydrate it. This also goes into the said soups, stews, etc.

When I'm prepping, I try to avoid freezing anything...

I'd also make sure to have A LOT of dried herbs for seasoning. Salt.

For myself, I wouldn't be worrying about keto in an emergency...So, personally...I have a lot of dried pasta and rice. Flour. Sugar, etc.

With that said, if I were dead set on being keto or paleo during the apocalypse, I'd get some coconut or cassava flour, or whatever they use.

And, I agree w/ Judson. I'd make sure I had fishing tackle, ammo, seeds, and other back up stores when it comes to hunting and/or growing.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

We have been eating low carb for over 3 years now. Prior to adopting this type of eating for hubby’s health we had purchased the typical cheap and easy to store rice and beans. Knowing that they have a very long shelf life and should shtf we will need those extra calories for survival. I have also stashed away seeds for many easy to grow fruits and vegetables, which I rotate as needed to keep viable seeds. We also invested in the longer storage freeze dried meats and vegetables. This year I finally got my long dreamed of Freeze Dryer, which I will be using to freeze dry any of our leftovers. It is a little to warm to run it right now at 115*. I have also been learning for several years on how to wild forage and picked up a few books for different regions around me.

@Marjory Wildcraft I love your suggestion of keeping foods you might not eat to trade for foods you can. I do struggle myself with trying to figure out some of the higher in fat stuff, but have recently learned you can freeze dry avacados. I have chickens and a running aquaponics system in place which provides eggs, fish, and vegetables for now and in the future. Sadly I don’t think most of the world thinks like us, and they believe everything will be fine, or someone will just provide for them.

• judsoncarroll4

I'm in no way an alarmist or really even a prepper... but, inflation or hyper-inflation is a huge concern for me. I took a walk the other evening with my retired friend who worked for David Rockefeller, the national banking association, ran the French stock market and the economy of Morocco.... to put it very mildly, the dude knows stuff! He still writes a lot, but seldom publishes under his own name as he's in his late 70s and doesn't want the bother anymore. He shares my concerns about inflation, but is also increasingly concerned about automation... not only that we have fewer educated and skilled workers, but that there will be fewer jobs soon. Then yesterday, I heard that Wells Fargo has cancelled all personal lines of credit. That was shocking... then today, I saw this

• Marjory Wildcraft
    edited July 2021

wow.... that's totally crazy.

and yes, we know that massive job losses are coming beyond what was destroyed by the COVID experience. here is a link to that interview I did with Dr. Kai Fu Lee on AI and how it will completely change jobs.

• judsoncarroll4

Indeed... so, everyone is speculating when the current housing and construction bubble will burst. Now, we know. Defaults will drive the next wave of foreclosures and a lot of folks won't qualify for mortgages.

• Marjory Wildcraft

hi @judsoncarroll4 the mortgage moritoriums are still in place. And there is a pent up back load of properties that will be in default. When those moritoriums are lifted is when the thing will crash.

Wow, the news about Wells Fargo cutting of equity lines of credit so like the 2008 period.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I'm figuring in a survival situation most people won't worry about their diets, but there are a lot of situations that can arise before you get to the survival situations.

Far as a fat source, I highly recommend coconut butter. Here's a link, just for point of reference https://www.vitacost.com/nutiva-organic-coconut-manna The reason I recommend it is it's incredible shelf life. Honestly, I think it's kind of pricey, and the reason I tried it in the first place was because our local bent-and-dent grocery carries it all the time, deeply discounted- and usually wildly out of date. I've had jars months out of date, and they have all tasted excellent. I am very quick to detect off-flavors and rancidity, and I've never picked it up in coconut butter. I think I read somewhere that raw coconut products last so long because of fatty acids or something. Too lazy to research it now.

Of course, coconut oil also has a great shelf life.

85% dark chocolate- high in fat, low in carbs, decent source of fiber, and also high in minerals- iron, magnesium. I recommend Alter Eco and Equal Exchange. Maybe not a diet staple, but nutritious enough to be more than just a luxury. https://www.vitacost.com/alter-eco-organic-deep-dark-chocolate-blackout

I think people can their own ghee- I don't know how long it last.

Don't forget all the other canned fish besides tuna- like salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring, anchovies...

Man, I love kippered herring. So good in rice with some sauteed veggies. It's cheap too.

• judsoncarroll4
    edited July 2021

Yep, and apparently, over 50% of student loans are in default... folks expecting loan forgiveness. Banks were given billions in covid relief. THe wells Fargo move tells me that they are using those funds to offset bad paper, not loaning it out or expecting things to get better.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a trap for those pigeons that like to roost on my roof. Anyone have a good recipe?

• Marjory Wildcraft

it seems to my random questioning of Uber and Lyft drivers, coffe shop workers, and misc people I meet there are two distinct camps. Those that think things are getting better and will soon be fine. And those that think it is going to get much, much worse.

Definitely the lower income folks are feeling the pain of food price increases.

I assert the mental health crisis is because people know in their guts something is seriously wrong. The "contract" with the system that there will always be food in the stores is breaking down and they don't have skills, so there is this fundamental upset. many may not understand it consciously. but they know just the same.

• judsoncarroll4

Oh, you said recipe! I have some great ones. I'll dig out the old Escoffier in the morning...

• judsoncarroll4

@Tave ... good news, I found an online version so I could copy and paste! Frankly, Escoffier is the absolute best of all time... there are more than 300 recipes for eggs, alone! A guide to modern cookery : Escoffier, A. (Auguste), 1846-1935 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

PIGEONS AND SQUABS (PIGEONS ET PIGEONNEAUX)

Young pigeons are not very highly esteemed by English gourmets, and this is more particularly to be regretted, since, when the birds are of excellent quality, they are worthy the

1776— PIGEONNEAUX A LA BORDELAISE

Open the squabs down the back; season them; slightly flatten them, and toss them in butter. They may just as well be halved as left whole. Dish, and surround with the garnish given under " Poulet k la Bordelaise " (No. 1538).

1777— PIQEONNEAUX EN CASSEROLE A LA PAYSANNE

Cook the squabs in the oven in an earthenware saucepan.

When they are two-thirds done, surround them with one and one-half oz. of salted breast of pork, cut into small dice and blanched, and two oz. of sliced and sauted potatoes for each pigeon. Complete the cooking of the whole gently, and, when about to serve, add a little good gravy.

1778— PIQEONNEAUX EN CHARTREUSE

Prepare the Chartreuse in a Charlotte mould, as explained under No. 1182. Line the bottom and sides with a layer of braised, drained, and pressed cabbages; in the centre set the squabs, cooked " a la casserole " and cut into two lengthwise, and alternate them with small rectangles of blanched, salted breast of pork, and sausage roundels. Cover with cabbages, and steam in a bain-marie for thirty minutes.

Let the Chartreuse stand for five minutes after withdrawing from the bain-marie ; turn out on a round dish, and surround with a few tablespoonfuls of half-glaze sauce.

1779— PIQEONNEAUX EN CRAPAUDINE

Cut the young pigeons horizontally in two, from the apex of the breast to the wings. Open them; flatten them slightly; season them ; dip them in melted butter, roll them in bread- crumbs, and grill them gently.

Serve a devilled sauce at the same time.

1780— PIQEONNEAUX EN COMPOTE

Fry in butter two oz. of blanched, salted breast of pork and two oz. of raw mushrooms, peeled and quartered. Drain the bacon and the mushrooms, and set the squabs, trussed as for an entree, to fry in the same butter.

Withdraw them when they are brown ; drain them of butter ; swill with half a glassful of white wine; reduce the latter, and add sufficient brown stock and half-glaze sauce (tomated), in equal quantities, to cover the birds. Plunge them into this sauce, with a faggot, and simmer until they are cooked and the sauce is reduced to half.

This done, transfer the squabs to another saucepan; add the pieces of bacon, the mushrooms, and six small onions, glazed with butter, for each bird; strain the sauce over the whole through a fine sieve; simmer for ten minutes more, and serve very hot.

178 1— PIGEON PIE

Line the bottom and sides of a pie-dish with very thin, flattened collops of lean beef, seasoned with salt and pepper, and sprinkled with chopped shallots.

Set the quartered pigeons inside the dish, and separate them with a halved hard-boiled egg-yolk for each pigeon. Moisten half-way up with good gravy ; cover with a layer of puff paste ; gild; streak; make a slit in the top, and bake for about one and one-half hours in a good, moderate oven.

1782— VOL AU VENT DE PIQEONNEAUX

Suppress the feet and the pinions; foele the squabs, and only just cook them.

Cut each bird into four, and mix them with a garnish " a la Financi^re " (No. 1474) combined with the ^oeZin^-liquor. Pour the whole into a vol-au-vent crust, and dish on a napkin.

1783— C6TELETTES DE PIQEONNEAU A LA NESLES

Cut them in two, and reserve the claw, which serves as the bone of the cutlet. Flatten them slightly; season, and fry them in butter on one side only. Cool them under slight pressure ; coat their fried side, dome-fashion, with some godiveau with cream, combined with a third of its bulk of gratin forcemeat and chopped truffles. Set them on a tray, and place in a moderate oven to complete the cooking, and poach the force- meat. Dish in a circle, and separate the cutlets with collops of veal sweetbreads, dipped in beaten eggs, rolled in bread- crumbs, and tossed in butter. Garnish their midst with mush- rooms and sliced fowls' livers, tossed in butter and cohered with a few tablespoonfuls of Madeira sauce.

1784— COTELETTES DE PIQEONNEAUX EN PAPILLOTES

Cut the pigeons in two, as above ; stiffen them in butter, and enclose them in papillotes as explained under " Cdtelettes de Veau en Papillotes " (No. 1259).

1785— CdTELETTES DE PIQEONNEAUX A LA 5EVIQNE

Saute the half-pigeons in butter, and leave them to cool under slight pressure. Garnish their cut sides dome-fashion with a salpicon of white chicken-meat, mushrooms, and truffles, the whole cohered by means of a cold Allemande sauce.

Dip them in beaten egg, roll them in bread-crumbs, and cook them gently in clarified butter. Dish them in a circle; garnish their midst with asparagus- heads cohered with butter, and serve a light, Madeira sauce separately.

1786— SUPREMES DE PIGEONNEAUX A LA DIPLOMATE

Raise the fillets and slightly flatten them ; stiffen them in butter, and leave them to cool under slight pressure. This done, dip them in a Villeroy sauce, combined with chopped herbs and mushrooms, and cool them. Dip each fillet in beaten egg; roll them in bread-crumbs, and fry just before serving.

Dish in a circle, and in their midst set a heap of fried parsley. Send separately a garnish of pigeon quenelles, mush- rooms, and small, olive-shaped truffles, to which a half-glaze sauce flavoured with pigeon essence has been added.

1787— SUPREMES DE PIGEONNEAUX A LA SAINT=CLAIR

With the meat of the legs prepare a mousseline forcemeat, and, with the latter, make some quenelles the size of small olives, and set them to poach. Poele the breasts, without colouration, on a thick litter of sliced onions, and keep them underdone. Add a little veloute to the onions; rub them through tammy, and put the quenelles in this sauce.

In the middle of a shallow croustade, set a pyramid of cepes tossed in butter. Raise the fillets; skin them, and set them on the cepes ; coat them with the prepared sauce ; surround with a thread of meat glaze, and place the quenelles all round.

1788— SUPREMES DE PIGEONNEAUX A LA MARIGNY

Cut off the legs, and, with their meat, prepare a forcemeat. Poach the latter on a tray, and stamp it out with an oval cutter into pieces the size of the supr ernes.

Cover the breasts with slices of bacon, and poele them, taking care to only just cook them.

Quickly raise the suprenies, skin them, and set each upon an oval of forcemeat, sticking them on by means of a little gratin forcemeat.

Put the supremes in the oven for a moment, that this forcemeat may poach. Dish the supremes round a pyramid consisting of a smooth pur^e of peas, and coat with a velout^ sauce, finished with an essence prepared from the remains and the poeling-Xiquov of the breasts.

1789— SUPREMES DE PIGEONNEAUX AUX TRUFFES

Raise the supremes, flatten them slightly; toss them in clarified butter, and set them on a border of smooth forcemeat laid on a dish by means of a piping-bag, and poached in the front of the oven.

Swill the vegetable-pan with Madeira; add four fine slices of truffle for each supreme, and a little pale melted meat glaze, and finish with a moderate amount of butter.

Coat the supremes with this sauce, and set the slices of truffle upon it,

— MOUSSELINES DE PIQEONNEAUX

A l'6picurienne

Prepare and poach these mousselines like the chicken ones, but make them a little smaller. Dish them in the form of a crown; set thereon a young pigeon's fillet roasted, and in their midst arrange a garnish of peas with lettuce. Coat with a jumet prepared from the carcasses and cohered with a few table- spoonfuls of velout^.

N.B. — Pigeons and squabs may also be prepared after the recipes given for chicks

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 Thanks. I just downloaded it.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba I get my coconut oil at Trader Joe's in a 16 oz. jar for 4.99 (three weeks ago). It tastes like coconut. I have been told my numerous friends that when you get those kind of containers that there is no coconut taste. I personally haven't tried any of that. In the summer it turns into liquid. Same great taste!