Europe, check in here!

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
edited November 2023 in Europe

We, as members of the The Grow Network community, would like to give you a hearty welcome!

We put this list of questions together to help us get to know you better and to help you connect better with other members. Sharing your general location will help us understand what region you call home, and can help us give you more specific advice if needed. I also hope this can spark some new, local, in-person connections as well. (The remainder of the questions to follow are optional.)

a) What general region are you from? Do you know your growing zone?

b) How did you hear about The Grow Network?

c) Why did you decide to join TGN? For example, were you just browsing, hear about it from a friend, or did you sign up for any of our courses*?https://academy.thegrownetwork.com/

*If you are taking courses, you can ask questions and/or comment on them here:  https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/educational-opportunities. Please let us know your experience with your course(s) & let us know how can we encourage you!

d) What do you wish to learn from TGN and its members? How do you feel we can we best serve you and meet your needs?

e) Growing your own _____ is a journey of discovery & personal accomplishment.What goals do you want to accomplish within the next month? The next year?

f) Where does your knowledge/expertise/passion/skills lie with regards to growing your own food or growing your own medicine?

g) What else would you like to share with us (job, hobbies, animals, etc.)? A friendly reminder: please don't post any identifying information. It will get removed.

h) This is the extra fun part... jump in and browse our forum. We invite you to ask questions in the various categories that interest you, as well as share your knowledge! We love to learn together in our community. Your input is valuable.

Enjoy being a part of our vibrant community! 😀

** If you want to discuss region specific topics, feel free to post a new discussion in a new thread in "Europe".

Comments

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

It is a good idea to know who else is from Europe. I live in Tirol in Austria. I am a herbalist. Kräuterpädagoge. I run workshops and herbal excursions. I am very much interested in healthy way of life and sustainable household. I am a hobby gardener and a bee keeper.

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I live in Belgium and have just started learning about gardening, preserving, prepping etc.

• Living in Germany, raising bees gardening and trying to do as much myself as possible.

• Kristina Lindemann
    Kristina Lindemann Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I live in Germany, NRW and just start this season to grow my own vegetables in a rented piece of land.

So far, everything I did was intuitively because I needed it (picking herbs for skin desease and for making "intentional" tea for all kinds of needs.

I am not so good in learning from books. So I hope to find my flow.

Nice that you are "around".

🌻

• Sara W
    Sara W Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Hi folks. Im an Australian living in the UK. We used to have a smallholding back home in Oz. Loved it. Ive raised Chickens, Geese, Ducks, Jumbo Quail, a few very cheeky goats and a Princess of a Jersey. With an attitude to match.

Spent 3 yrs looking for the proper smallholding to rent here in the UK. Sadly nothing has come to fruition. In that time I have become a fan of pressure canning foods. It really isn't a thing to do here, nor back home in Australia. So I wont tell you the extortionate costs of a canner or the glassware.

I al also a fan of NO DIG gardening. Id like to learn more about NO TILL farming on a larger scale. Ive seen it work wonders. Especially with run off in heavy rains and crop production overall. Charles Dowding is one of my Gardening Gurus.

We are looking for our next base, somewhere we can settle with our 7yr old twin boys. We hoped this would be our home for many years to come. Sadly 1 of my wee lads has been diagnosed with ADHD and ASD so we need to get therapies etc that are not affordable or even available in our area of the country. Weve lived in Malaysia, spent time in Thailand.. loads of time in Delhi ( it is our 2nd home almost) Christchurch NZ, México, Albania and Italy.

I am so glad to be here. The Academy courses are great. I actually learned a few things I didnt know from the Poultry raising class. Its great to find out new things. I finish the rabbit raising course today. That was so brilliant. I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for making learning so easy.

Huge Aussie hugs

Sara

• jowitt.europe

@Kristina Lindemann hi! Sorry I missed your message earlier. Our daughter and grandchildren live in NRW. A beautiful countryside! Normally we travel to visit them quite often. Unfortunately not this year.

I am sure you have learned from the colleagues in the network quite a lot by now.

• jowitt.europe

@lintonpair @alcowan a warm welcome! I am sure you will find the network as useful, informative and friendly as I do!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Welcome to TGN's forum @alcowan. My mum's side of the family is from Scotland. Rothes, Elgin area.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Welcome @alcowan! This is a great community to learn from, no matter if you are starting out or have lots of experience! The TGN forum is truly a vibrant, varied & worldwide family that learns alongside each other...and quite often, even the more knowledgeable amongst us finds that they learn something new too!

We are glad you could join us.

When you have some time, and if you haven't already done so, please take a moment to look over our FAQ & Rules section over on Our Front Porch Welcome. The FAQ will help you better navigate the forum if you might have questions about how to do something on here.

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

• kristy.mont
    kristy.mont Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

I live in Romania and am a fairly newbie gardener. I've been on the email list for a while, but haven't been in the forums much. Hello to all. :)

• Torey

Welcome to the forum @kristy.mont. Glad you decided to jump in.

• jowitt.europe

@kristy.mont Hello and welcome. I am a hobby gardener and I will be glad to share my experience like so many other members of this network. I live in Austria.

• Sara W
    Sara W Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

So we moved house!! We ALMOST had our homestead.. but the small acerage was in a TB border area here in the UK. I checked the layover maps and apparently there had been 8 TB cases within 5 miles of the property in the past 6 months.

Honestly, not gonna lie, that is NOT good at all. We wanted to raise 4 rare breed heifers. While the Gov wouldve compensated us had we had to destroy the heifers due to any TB showing up.. you just cannot replace those genetics. So we passed on the property and low and hehold.. HEADED TO SCOTLAND!!

We have been here in Aberdeen for a week already and it is AMAZING!! Scotland is considered TB free, so I am on the prowl for a good lease. Cant lie.. Im like a kid in a candy store. So hello to any Scottish folks on the site xx

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sara W. Its been a while but I spent two summer in scotland. Loved it there. And I have been to Aberdeen.

Have fun searching for that homestead!

• gvizzini658
    gvizzini658 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Hi, I live in Italy; growing some things in my yard for the second year, and ready to move forward in becoming more self-sufficient. Glad to be here!

• startafresh2day
    startafresh2day Posts: 3
    edited July 2022

Hello to everyone! Looks like I'm the only one from Poland? So I'm totally green, I know nothing:) Just started my own garden, a small one around the house, decided to replace all the green, flowery but useless bushes with stuff that we can eat. Carrots were 3cm max, so were the radishes, but the leaves were like half a metre, haha! Now I'm having my first cucumbers and tomatoes, together with the first diseases. But I'm so happy! :)) I'm interested in natural medicine, orthomolecular medicine as an amateur ever since my husband was diagnosed with cancer and decided to quit chemo after the very first dose. That was 5 or 6 years ago and that was the greatest thing that has happened to us, even though super scary. So hello, ready to learn and help out wherever I can! Ola.

• Torey

Hi @gvizzini658. Looks like I missed your post by a few days. So a belated Welcome.

Hi @startafresh2day. Welcome to TGN. You have picked a great place to learn.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I don't think I welcomed you, @gvizzini658 either! Welcome from Canada!

You will not run out of great things to learn here. Our members are very knowledgeable in all sorts of subjects, and we span the globe. The majority of our information here is from hands on experience. Book learning is good, but the first hand experience is invaluable.

• sarah121
    sarah121 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Hello!

It's been a while since I checked in with the TGN and am thrilled to see how the platform has continued to grow and thrive since my last visit!

I'm Sarah, an herbalist from the UK. I have a small apothecary shop where I manufacture my own tinctures, as well as host herb walks and foraging classes in the local community.

I previously presented a course on "Herbs For Liver Health" on TGN, and have since developed a number of resources I hope to share with you. I'm also here to learn and grow. My recent connection with @judsoncarroll4 via his wonderful Substack newsletter and podcast made me realise how much I have deeply missed this community.

Thank you for welcoming me back to the group. I feel honoured to be part of such a thriving and forward thinking community.

• Torey

Welcome back, @sarah121!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@sarah121 And we are honored to have you back! 🤗