What's your Harvest Today?

Comments

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blueberries just became available. Our neighbors up the street sells you-pick blueberries, and he opened yesterday. The rain and lack of sun delayed ripening about 5 days later than normal.

I picked six pints, made jam with four of them, froze one, and left one as fresh in the refrigerator. I will go back and pick another 6 - 10 pints in the coming week and freeze all of them.

I also saw my first green beans on the plants yesterday, not quite ready to pick. The bush beans, Maxibel, Provider, and Dragon's Tongue are definitely ahead of the three types of pole beans. However, the pole bean plants are lush and tall, and I'm sure they will produce a lot of beans once they catch up.

• VermontCathy

I am growing fingerling potatoes for the first time this year. It's about time for me to go out and harvest some. Mostly, though, I leave my potatoes in the ground until they die back, then harvest all of them and store them. I only grow enough potatoes to get me through fall and winter anyway.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I went to a salvage grocery store and got peanut butter cookie larabars for $1.99 for a package of 8. That was my find for the day. Yeah! Score!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I picked about 6 cups of really nice saskatoons yesterday. I was really pleased to find them as most of the bushes are shrivelled and dry. This bush is one at the side of my driveway that rarely produces much fruit so I was pleasantly surprised to find such a good crop of berries on it when the others are so poor. I doubt I will get any commercial blueberries this year due to the heat dome. So the saskatoons will have to be my muffin fruit this winter.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today I got 4 cherry tomatoes, some basil, and some lemon thyme!

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Jalapeños and banana peppers are doing great.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 and @VermontCathy Thank you! I will have to get a net for next year!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

So excited! This is what the whole family brought in this morning!

A bunch of our elderberries ripened! So so so excited!😄

• VermontCathy

Yesterday I picked a large bowl of peas, a large bowl of green beans, and four pints of blueberries (the blueberries at my local you-pick).

It looks like it will be a productive summer.

Next year I'm going to make major changes to priorities, growing much more tomatoes, potatoes, peas, and beans, somewhat less onions, and much less lettuce. The balance is definitely not where it should be.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I'm so excited for you!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I harvested 3 more little Shisito peppers this morning.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I pulled my Garlic a couple of days ago. I hung it on the fence to cure. Last night was quite cool and when I got up at 6am, there appeared to be a fairly heavy dew. So I brought them in, in a paper bag to continue curing inside during the night. May hang them up outside tomorrow again. Not entirely sure how long I should cure them. I think I have read that the stems should be completely dry. I'll have to look that up.

• VermontCathy

I also pulled my garlic a couple of days ago and spread it on the floor of the garage to dry. I wouldn't dare leave it out on a fence with all the rain we've been having.

I recommend leaving them until the stems are completely dry, then either braid the stems or cut them off. I'm lazy, so I just cut them off and store the garlic in a mesh bag, or a paper bag if I run out of mesh bags.

The onions are almost done and will be harvested very soon, and cured the same way. I store onions and potatoes in one of those large folding hampers designed for hauling laundry around. The mesh sides let air flow all around them, keeping the moisture away.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Yesterday's harvest (cause I was too tired last night to post) started with cherries. I have 5 cherry trees (or shrubs). One is Montmorency which produces sour red pie cherries. Two are store bought that weren't named (but on sale) and two are plants that were brought into our area by the first settlers. These 4 produce dark purple sour cherries and they sucker quite freely so I have lots to give away in my area. This year they seem to be sending out way more suckers than usual. Maybe the heat? I'm a bit too far north for sweet cherries.

Anyhow, I had the intention of just picking enough to go on my dehydrator racks. But hubby grabbed a bucket and came to help. Not wanting to discourage any offers of help, I let him continue, even though it meant extra work that I hadn't intended. So I got enough to fill my dehydrator plus enough to fill my steam juicer and I canned the juice. I have some left in the fridge this morning that I am going to turn into a shrub.

Just as I was getting the cherries on the racks, a friend show up with a bag of elderberries. So another hour of de-stemming elderberries and getting them on parchment on cookie sheets (cause the dehydrator is full) to go into the oven for the night (heat on for a few minutes and then shut off).

• tilathehunn
    tilathehunn Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

🍅 s! The best yellow and heritage. So good and sweet!

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Today's Harvest!

• Jaylene
    Jaylene Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I just harvested a large basket full of carrot seed/flower heads from carrots I planted over 2 years ago that got forgotten. I had no idea they would get so large🤓I made 1/2 gallon of hydrosol with them that I am so excited to try out

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds yummy!

Today for me was an eggplant and a few elephant garlic.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@monica197 yesterday I got all inspired by @judsoncarroll4 ginger beer recipe and made a bottle to use with soda water, happy with the end result. I then made up 6 jars of preserved lemons, I used 20 lemons, they are so big and how many jars do I make? I will do more lemons as Xmas gifts. Then I juiced limes, grapefruit, oranges and mandarins for a mixed juice, a juice that makes you smile, even if you don’t want to!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I do that too, sometime - make a fruit or ginger, etc. syrup to add to soda water and splash of vodka or gin. Good stuff!

• COWLOVINGIRL

I picked some cucumbers today and made cucumber salad. So good!

• MaryRowe
    MaryRowe Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭

Tomatoes are coming on like crazy here now. I came in with a nice basket full today.

And blackberries! I have been impatiently watching a large patch of wild blackberries, growing in view of my kitchen window, just covered with berries. Seems like they have been red forever. Yesterday morning I looked out and saw lots of them finally turning black, and--wait a minute--what is that thing bobbing up and down in the top of the blackberry thicket? A critter's big bushy tail?????

Yep--Big Mama, the giant squirrel who lives in the oak tree near that patch had obviously been watching the berries as closely as I had. Somehow she had climbed up to the top of the canes, which are easily six feet high and just covered in vicious thorns. I don't know how she managed that without shredding her feet, but there she was, showing no signs of distress at all, carefully selecting the ripest berries to gorge herself on.

This morning I went out to see if any more berries were ripe, or if she had missed any ripe ones yesterday. I came in with enough for a cobbler, but my dreams of blackberry jam are probably disappearing down Big Mama's gullet....

• COWLOVINGIRL

First large green bean harvest today!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked green beans 3 times this week along with swiss chard. I am tempted to pick the beet greens which are looking good but they are not quite ready.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have been getting a pint or more of cherry tomatoes every week or so. Berries are getting close to being ready. Lettuce, chard, kale and tatsoy are all bolting with the crazy weather we have had. We keep going back and forth from very hot to raining and chilly and even the plants don't know how to handle it. Just decided to start working on space for my garden for next spring and hope for better results then.

• VermontCathy

I'm very surprised that not all of my lettuce has bolted. Most has bolted, but some of the heads of Crispino still taste good and have not put up seedstalks.

I've found Crispino and Pirat lettuce to do best for me. Quatre Saisons (Four Seasons) and Black Seeded Simpson also do very well.

What is also amazing is that I'm still getting a few peas from my Tall Telephone plants. These should have stopped producing in the summer heat. Their production is way done and most of the plants are turning brown, but I'm still getting a few fat, tasty pods.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got about 2 handfuls of white mulberries off of my larger tree. I was extremely surprised. I have never seen berries on it this late in the season. My sons were very excited.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Now that it is August I am picking raspberries; they fruited some weeks back and now they are fruiting again. Also picking my volunteer tomatoes. Those that I planted still are not ready, probably because my pumpkin plants invaded their area. I have cut those vines back a bit. It appears that I will have at least 16 nice pumpkins for pies, bread, and ? Have promised one to a friend. Some of the pumpkins have already turned orange.

• COWLOVINGIRL

@Michelle D That is exciting!