Finding Joy In Strange Places TGN Update 2021 07 26

Here is the weekly update.

I trust you are enjoying these!

Here is the last video I did on buckets! Yes, I am a bucket person. Is there such a thing as a bucket person?

Here is the link to the CDC announcement and down below is a short interpretation.

The CDC quietly announced last week that it was withdrawing its request to the FDA for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the 2019-Novel Coronavirus PCR Diagnostic Panel for detection of SARS-CoV-2 (the name for the COVID-19 virus). It now recommends laboratories adopt a method that can detect and differentiate SARS-CoV-2 from influenza viruses. The US has used the PCR test to report more than 34.4-million cases of the COVID-19 since the pandemic began and more than 610,000 deaths. Covid cases based on this test soared nationwide while, at the same time, hospitalizations and deaths from the Flu dropped to near zero. 

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited July 2021

You know Ms. Marjory... you may almost rival me for informality and being laid back! Another great video, BTW. One thing about chest freezers, remember to rotate the stored food. Gosh, when I was cleaning things out after my grandmother died, there was stuff in the bottom of the 2 freezers she had that must have been decades old and unidentifiably freezer burnt!

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I share your bucket fetish. Can’t live without them.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have many buckets, and there's never enough of them around because the family is always confiscating them for their own personal use.

And yes, it is so much fun "beating up" a bunching bag. I used to do that often before I had kids. Maybe I should get one and start doing it again. 😊

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @judsoncarroll4 it is extremely important to rotate stock in a chest freezer. I used to be horrible at it. I don't think anything was ever more than 2 or maybe on a rare occasion 3 years old. I ended up making a system for mine that I just do everytime I pull stuff out of the freezer. I have a simple rule, everything moves to the right. When I remove items from the freezer the stuff on the right goes first, everything then shifts to the right, and any new items go in on the left. I can do this because I have multiple smaller freezer for different types of items (for example, there are no frozen vegetables in the meat freezer). I only add things to the chest freezer in bulk.

Ok so I will be honest, I never really thought about buckets that much. That's not to say that I don't use them all the time. It just never occurred to me how much I depend on them. They are just always there. Now that you mention it @Marjory Wildcraft I realize that I am also very fond of my buckets. I have been accumulating my own bucket stash that I don't allow the rest of the family to use because I got sick of search for a bucket and finding them all being used for storage in the garage.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Oh @Michelle D yes, rotating is super important. I like having two or three smaller freezers rather than a big one for just that reason. Funny how you never have enough freezer space! When homesteading in Texas we would regularly buy a cow, and the meat chicken project would fill up space, and I tried several times to accumulate enough rabbit pelts to make a rabbit fur blanket - but they would always get sacraficed as dog food because I needed room in the freezer. LOL

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I love buckets too! I use them to haul things like gravel, weeds, my tools and I use them for mini composts in the garage.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I foraged 31 buckets from a local business that did not need them and sat them out by the dumpster to toss.

I took them all and thought, I will never need them all. Well, a friend was doing a favor for me and requested 10 of the buskets in trade. My niece needed compost and soils so I lent her 5 - they never came back. And my mom borrows buckets any time she can as they are just the right size for moving itmes from one room to another.

I us some for for moving compost and some for feeding animals. I have used them all and do on a daily basis.

• Lisa K

Another good source for buckets can be delis, they usually have buckets for pickles so they are food grade.

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft Great video! Thank you!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check with the bakeries that specialize in pies. They get some of their pie fillings in buckets.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Welcome to the forum, @Jeff! Marjory sure is a busy woman isn't she? I agree that the updates have been a great addition here. It keeps us all in the know. 😉

When you get a moment, please slip over to the Rules & FAQs area to help you better navigate the forum, & the Introductions as well, so we can get an idea where you are from. I will leave a couple links for you below.

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed your video! I bought 12 buckets at the Dollar Store. Not the best quality but I found my hanging baskets fit perfectly in the buckets so I could turn them into self watering planters.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft I have been doing punching and kicking workouts for over 10 years and totally agree with you! It's a wonderful release and great exercise. Great way to vent those frustrations! I had not thought of it as "joy" before, but it really is!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited August 2021

@Marjory Wildcraft

Haha! I was just thinking that I have a bucket list.

By the way, buckets are more commonly known as pails up here and we seem to be avid collectors. We have plastic: feed pails (so many!), 17 (3 1/2 gallon) water pails, 1 gallon honey pails (do I need to count them?), ice cream pails, dry food storage pails; stainless: 3 milk pails of two different sizes, and a few mini 1 gallon pails. We should have bought 10 last time they were on sale. They are handy for everything garden, berries mini garbage cans... We also have a few metal feed pails kicking around. We store our milk in 1 gallon pails with lids & handles, although we just consider these "containers". Of course, we have a number of those too! You can never have enough!

Considering, We have a huge bucket list.

• Lisa K

Buckets to me are like rebar or duct tape, you can do so much with them!

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Yes, buckets are great...CDC not as much!

I picked up about 40 from a large restaurant a few years ago. Here in Australia the 20lt food grade buckets with a lid were $15 from the hardware store.

I got more than I needed and gave some away to people I knew to save them money also. As some had rather strong herbs or spices in them a good clean and airing was needed before using to store dry goods that might otherwise take on the smell/ flavour of the previous product.

I use them for water containers for the goats, putting dry groceries in when I buy in bulk, put veggies / weeds in when gardening, collecting greens for the chooks, as well as soaking the chook food in etc.

Have a Great Day🌷

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Glad to see so many of us are bucket fanatics! ha, ha, this does put a new spin on the old "bucket list".

If you can find those Fortex rubber with reinforced (something its reinforced with?) but anyway, if you can find those buckets and the ones I found were only $10 - that is the deal of a lifetime.

In fact, I am thinking of going and buying more right now. With the supply chain breaking down, and I just saw a thing about how rubber is getting harder and harder to come by.... well they are really a deal.