Starting a new business!

I am very excited to start a new business! Dog walking! I have never thought about this until recently and I think it could work, as there are a lot of people with dogs around here. Has anyone else done this? Any tips/advice?

Comments

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL I started a side job of caring for animals. I did walk one dog on a treadmill because that is what the owner wanted. The dog would walk with me and with the grandkids too. The owner also taught the dog some sign language.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Congratulations on your new business plans. I hope it works out for you. Great job if you like dogs and it gets you outside.

I'm not sure what the legalities would be like in your part of the world but you might want to look into insurance. If a dog were to be injured while you were in care and control (hit by a car, bitten by another dog, eats something poisonous), the owner might be able to sue. Or if a dog were to bite someone while in your care, the person might be able to sue you as well as the dog owner.

If you are walking more than one owner's dog at a time, you should probably ensure that all dogs in your care have had their shots.

Best of luck.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL I walked dogs when I lived in Raleigh. I enjoyed it. Have fun with it

If you have a dog that likes to pull, double leash it.

I did not let peole try to pet any dog I was walking. Some people would ask but If ther person got scratched or bit it would create issues.

Make sure you have doggie bags if you're in a public place

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL congratulations on the new business! I echo what others have said, know the laws in your area to protect yourself and your assets.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I've never done it but apparently there is an app that people use these days to find dog walkers. You may want to check it out.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Cool! Thank you @annbeck62!

• COWLOVINGIRL

Ordered the business cards today!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @COWLOVINGIRL and I wish you great success!😁

• COWLOVINGIRL

Thank you @Lisa K!

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not started a dog walking business but I do own a business and the #1 thing that has helped me over the years is to get email addresses and send out a monthly newsletter via (mailchimp). Because I only send it once a month, no-one ever has issue with it and of course if they don't want to be on the list they can unsubscribe. Staying connected is like gold.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the new business venture @COWLOVINGIRL! Hope it all goes smoothly for you.😊

• COWLOVINGIRL

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina Thank you so much for the encouragement!