Additional alternative antibiotics

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's amazing what is kept under the radar.

A case in point regarding pharmaceuticals. My horse Cigar has upper ringbone. It's a type of arthritis. Equioxx is a commonly prescribed medication for the pain related to it. It's better known as ferocoxib. The human version is Vioxx, and the dog version is Previcox. As most horse owners know; if it's for a horse, add extra dollars to the price. Vets were prescribing Previcox off label for horses. The canine dosage came in 124mg pills, the dosage for a horse is 57mg. Take away point, it's the same drug made in the same facility with different labeling and dosages.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

There are some good alternatives at the end of the article. Colloidal silver is always good to have on hand. Check out the E-book on Garlic in TGN's library. Manuka honey is even better than regular.

One of my go-to alternatives is Oregon Grape Root. While it is not a broad spectrum anti-biotic, it is very effective eliminating several types of bacteria, including S. aureus and H. pylori. Any of the berberine containing herbs will have similar effect; Goldenseal, Coptis, Barberry, etc. I prefer Oregon Grape Root because it grows prolifically in my area so it is easy to harvest.

Myrrh is another antibacterial that I always have in my stockpile. Really great for any type of mouth or tooth infection but also can be applied to topical infections.

Usnea is very antibacterial.

Oregano has been shown to be effective against E. coli, B. subtilis and Salmonella. Thymol is a very good disinfectant (as good as carbolic acid). It is effective against E. coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

So many options!

Check out the book "Herbal Antibiotics" by Stephen Harrod Buhner.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother just sent me this link about more than one reason why antibiotics are no longer effective. I figured I'd post it here instead of starting a new thread. Keeping your immune system strong is better than the best antibiotic.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information. And we just happen to be planning some aquaponic testing come spring. Might be time to get our fish some medicine. Between herbals, homeopathic (while we can get them,) and the fish medicines we should end up well stocked.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Hmm. I knew about meds for fish, but laws are so strict here in regards to antibiotics. You generally have to get any for livestock from vets, but now I do wonder about the fish supplies. Vets don't deal with fish. I wonder how helpful this could be for other livestock? Again hmm. Food for thought.

I would think that it is still better, if possible, to become familiar with available, natural, local herbs for antibiotics. That, and those, like plantain, that can draw out infection from the bloodstream. You may not always have access to your stash, nor may you be able to replace it with the same at some point. Herbs/weeds/trees/plants should always be available either fresh/dried.

@torey Can you give us a simple list of plants that may be in our garden, backyard or bush that could either draw out infection or act as an antibiotic? I see that you listed some already, but I bet there are more.

If you could use titles like "draw out infection" and "antibiotic" and list them underneath for simplicity, that would be great!

This would also be helpful in the new emergency category.

• Torey

@LaurieLovesLearning I will get on this.

• vickeym

@LaurieLovesLearning I was thinking along the same lines for part of it. I have livestock and the nearest vet to our community is over an hour away. I will choose the natural any time I can, but if things need some serious attention this could be of great help. I don't like where I see things headed and feel like we (my family and I) should not overlook an option that could end up being very important for us.

torey To have a list like Laurie mentioned would be such an enormous benefit for many if not all of us.

Thank you for taking on a project like this.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited August 2021

A comment on the mastitis & cabbage. It works great raw. I used it and it worked well. I just have to figure out how to make the cups of cabbage into fitted milk duds for the cow. haha

As far as myrrh, it isn't found in North America, but neither is frankincense. It is also a good choice as an antibacterial if I am not mistaken. Maybe @torey could elaborate on that as well. We had a practitioner on here long ago that had a lot of good to say about this resin and that the oil and resin were two different things with different properties.

I was also thinking that there are different definitions for antibacterial & antibiotic, since I just brought that into the conversation. They are not the same. Maybe Torey could fill us in on the complexities of the definitions so that we know what we are dealing with when we read these terms.

• Torey

That is good to know about the mastitis. I have never personally treated mastitis. I have also read that the cabbage leaves can be used frozen if cold feels better for you. Which it might if there is a lot of heat involved.

Frankincense (and many other resins) is very antibacterial and a good choice if you have it. It, along with myrrh, won't grow in our backyards but I am wondering if @JodieDownUnder has either in her back yard. I have started a booklet (e-book maybe) on resin medicines cause they are very important remedies. If you have any resins or gums in your area, they will generally all be good antibacterial agents.

Antimicrobial - This term defines a broad spectrum of agents that will treat bacterial, viral, parasitical, protozoal and/or fungal infections. Antimicrobial is a term that has become more common these days in reference to prevention with regards to hand sanitizer.

Antiseptic - These are agents such as peroxide, rubbing alcohol, chlorine-based products, quaternary ammonia and iodine and are used to sterilize and prevent the growth of pathogens. They are often used before giving injections, during surgery or to sterilize instruments. When comparing anti-microbial cleansers and antiseptic cleansers, antiseptics are stronger.  There are other antiseptic agents such as carbolic acid and thymol. Vinegar is sometimes used as an antiseptic agent but it is weaker that the others mentioned. Saline solution is often used to clean or flush wounds but is not antiseptic.

Antibiotic - While antibiotics are generally used to treat bacterial infections, they may also be prescribed for some protozoal or fungal infections. Antibiotics are indiscriminate and will kill off good bacteria as well as bad, although some drugs may be prescribed for specific bacteria.

Antibacterial - Agents which target only bacterial cells. Some antibacterials are specific to certain bacteria while others may be used to treat a wider range of infections. They generally have no effect on parasites, protozoa, fungi or virus’. Under the category of antibacterial agents there are those which are bacteriocidal (completely destroying bacteria cells) or bacteriostatic (inhibit the growth and replication of bacteria cells).

Anti-viral - Agents that specifically treat virus’ but can work in different ways. Some antivirals increase resistance to a virus and some prevent viral penetration into the cell while others prevent viral replication.

Anti-fungal - Agents used to treat fungal infections.

Anti-parasitics - Given to kill and/or expel internal parasites (worms).

Anti-protozoal - Agents which eliminate protozoal infections. Some are quite specific to the protozoa.

I prefer to use the term antibacterial when referring to plant medicines and leave the term antibiotic for pharmaceuticals, although I sometimes will compare Oregon Grape root to an antibiotic (cause it is a pretty broad spectrum herb) for someone who is less familiar with alternative medicine as it might be easier for them to relate to.

I hope that has cleared things up a bit.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Awesome, thank you for these lists and clarifications.

I've copied and pasted them so I can print them up and have them when I need them for reference.😊

• LaurieLovesLearning

Thanks, @torey!

• Torey
    edited September 2021

I should have had these other resins & gums listed under Antimicrobials.

Other members of the Burseraceae family, in addition to Frankincense and Myrrh, are also antibacterial. Balm of Mecca (this may actually be the species known biblically as Balm of Gilead, found in Arabia, Yemen & Oman), Elephant Tree (southwestern US and northern Mexico) and Guggul (eastern and southeast Asia).

Cottonwood Bud Resin aka Balm of Gilead is highly antimicrobial (native to most of Canada and the US).

Firs and Douglas Fir Pitch have strong antibacterial properties (fir species can be found around the world).

Gumweed (Grindelia) has an affinity for respiratory bacterial infections (western and southwestern North America).

Red Gum is produced by trees in the Myrtaceae family (Australia, New Guinea, Indonesia).

Sweetgum from the Liquidambar genus is a component in Friar’s Balsam but on its own has been shown effective in treating MRSA (native to the Eastern US).

Benzoin aka Tincture of Benzoin from Styrax officinalis is another component in Friar's Balsam (native to southern Europe but there are other Styrax species in California and Mexico).

Friar's Balsam is an antibacterial agent for respiratory infections.

So there are useful tree and herb resins no matter where we live.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of information here! Thank you all so much. I have the TGN course on treating infections without antibiotics. It has been wonderful knowledge to have. Adding these details to that base will be extremely helpful!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey I was able to squeeze the information about resins in under the Antimicrobials group.

Thanks.😊

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
    edited August 2021

@torey I am unaware of any myrrh or frankincense growing near me. Maybe more in the desert/arid country. I think Africa is its real home but I did find this article, not looking good for supply.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-21/frankincense-industry-in-decline/3741974

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

How about Polk root? I watched a video on the use of this tincture and have had great success with it treating sinus infections. According to the video it is extremely potent and should be treated with great caution so I started with a drop on my skin and worked up to ingesting 1/2ml at a time. I appreciate your list and have saved it too!

• Torey

@Owl The best one to ask about poke root is @judsoncarroll4. He is much more familiar with it than I am as it doesn't grow anywhere close to my part of the world. It is a very potent herb. There is a new article in TGN's blog on poke. Right on the front page.

If you sign up for Susun Weed's course on Immunity, she mentions poke in the final video at the end of the course. This is the link to the discussion.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@torey I was under the impression that nasturtium was natures antibiotic, especially the flowers, in tincture form.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited September 2021

Sure. @Owl here are a couple of excerpts from the book I am writing now - should be released early next month:

Pokeweed, Poke (Phytolacca americana) Poke is one of my favorite herbs but yes, it is poisonous. But, Poke only if it is misused. The old mountain folks consider Poke to be a blood purifier. Poke is one of the first edible greens to appear in any quantity in the spring. Tender, spring poke leaves are harvested before the purple color from the stem is seen in leaves. Most folks I know cook them once in water, then drain them and fry them in pork fat. Field guides and professional foragers say that the greens must be boiled in three changes of water before frying. Frankly, I often eat the leaves raw in early spring. But, it may well be that I have developed a tolerance for the toxicity and it does not affect me as it would others. The toxic effect of eating poke leaves or berries is usually vomiting and diarrhea, so it resolves itself without lasting harm. However, I must warn you that according to the late Herbalist, Michael Moore, the tinctured root can cause death if too much (a half ounce or more) is taken internally. For this reason, I never make Poke root tincture. I use the root as a tea, which is much weaker. If I begin to feel nauseous, I stop drinking it. Poke is used in herbal medicine for "dispersing" and for moving lymph to help flush toxins and infection from the body. For bruising, a wash or poultice to disperse blood and swelling.  Appalachian folk use includes using as an expectorant.

Poke Root (Phytolacca americana) likewise, is an old folk remedy. Poke is anti-viral, but its main action is in purging the lymph system. Poke (as discussed previously) is toxic in large amounts and may cause nausea even in moderate amounts. I include it here because when I had COVID 19, the illness lingered after the severe symptoms had passed, making me feel weak and moderately sick for several weeks. Finally, I took poke root until just before I could feel nausea setting in (such dosing takes experience with the plant). Soon, I began to sweat profusely and my urine turned dark. The odor of my sweat was very strong. The lingering, low grade fever finally broke and I felt much better afterward. Poke seemed to hasten the conclusion or resolution of the virus and I now use it much earlier in any cold or flu.  

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Judsoncarroll4, please let me know when you publish your book. I will definitely be looking forward to adding it to my little library! Thanks for weighing in and sharing your knowledge!

• vickeym
    edited September 2021

@torey I would also love to hear your thoughts on Nasturtiums. I love them. The leaves used with basil and pine nuts make a wonderful pesto.

• Torey

Actually, I was unaware until last year about nasturtium's benefits with regards to its antibacterial properties with an affinity for the respiratory system and the urinary system. It was @jowitt.europe that introduced me to this herb from a medicinal perspective. Perhaps she could offer more insight. But, you are right, @JodieDownUnder, I should have included it in my list under antibacterials.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@torey @vickeym this is what I wrote about nasturtium in my Facebook blog. I have also written a discussion on Nasturtium Tincture, but I do not know how to refer to it or bring the text into this discussion.

I am absolutely convinced that nasturtium tincture is an excellent antibiotic and use it every time I feel like I am “getting something” and then it stops this something developing in my respiratory tract.

Nasturtium - a natural antibiotic for respiratory tract.

Nasturtium (tropaeolum polyphyllum). I am sure you know this plant well. It is beautiful, useful, eatable and good for health. It is a natural antibiotic and has no negative side effects in comparison to synthetic ones. It strengthens immune system as well. 

As a prevention, I would simply suggest to add nasturtium leaves, flowers, seeds to your salad or to drink nasturtium tea either made of fresh plant or dried one. A spoon of fresh leaves, flowers, seeds or a tea spoon of dried herb per cup. I never use boiling water. Not hotter than 90 degrees, as nasturtium contains a lot of Vitamin C which is 'killed' by boiling water. One can drink it every 4 hours if one has caught cold, flu, etc. 

I myself prefer nasturtium tincture. It is easy to make and easy to use: you fill a glass to one half with nasturtium leaves, flowers and seeds (if you use dried herb, 1/3 of a glass is enough) and fill the glass to full with at least 40 % Alkohol/Vodka/Schnaps. Keep it in room temperatures in light but not in direct sun for at least 2 weeks or longer. Shake it every day. Then filter and you have medicine. Keep it somewhere dark.

Whenever I have cold or any infection of respiratory tracts I take a tea spoon of tincture every 4 hours until I am healthy. But I would not combine it with synthetic antibiotics as tincture contains alcohol. I try to avoid using synthetic antibiotics anyway. 

• vickeym

jowitt.europe I will be checking Facebook tonight for your blog. If I can find it, I will also see if I can figure out how you could add the information here.

Thank you for sharing. I had no idea they were so medicinally useful. I was introduced to eating them as a pesto my friend made. It was wonderful and originally the whole reason I will be growing them next year. Now I know they are even better, I'll be growing more. My brother and I both get bronchitis every year. This sounds like exactly what we need.

I see a new tincture in my future.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Black seed oil has kept me off antibiotics due to bronchitis or pneumonia quite a few times. Ultimately homeopathy probably works best since you can find a remedy specific to the infection.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

@Sharie Do you take it most of the time or when you feel something coming on.

The more I read and study Homeopathy I more I like it. And with the cost of doctors, if you can keep yourself healthy - this is a good thing.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I just take it when I need it but it would be great to use all the time. You can also chew on the seeds for the same results (says one guy who does it!)

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

This is good information to have. I knew colloidal silver, garlic and oregano are all helpful but its always good to have quite a few options at hand. Thanks!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Wow, this is SUCH a fantastic list, @torey -- thank you so much for sharing it. (And thank you, @LaurieLovesLearning for requesting it!)