Elderberry syrup! I’ve made it!
Now I have 10 bottles of elderberry syrup. Well prepared for the change in seasons and for the comming winter. I have already noticed that the edible black and dark blue berries are very useful for human body. The components are anti inflammatory, are good for blood vessels, for blood and circulation, for colds, for bladder... And elderberries help to see better in the darkness.
But!!!!! One should not eat them raw. Ripe berries are slightly poisonous. Not ripe berries are very poisonous. They have to be heated. That is why I use steam juicer. The berries get heated this way and the juice is absolutely safe to drink. I add some sugar. It is very nice.
it is very traditional in the Alpine region to make elderberry juice. People believe in its protective power against cold or flu. Me too. And it is delicious.
This Week's Leaders
- 602 All Categories
- 27 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 42 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 263 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 413 Current Events & Breaking News
- 1.1K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.3K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 456 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 32 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 413 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 335 The Homestead: DIY
- 1K Personal Journals
- 87 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter