If GMOs worried you... brace yourself for this!

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Yikes this is upsetting on so many levels. Another reason to buy organic &/or grow your own vegetables.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Yes, very, very disturbing. However, because of dosage, this messing with nature would have to be clearly labeled on the packaging.

My concern is that it could potentially be grown everywhere. Could it cross over into other basic crops? They actually trust people not go overdose as well? This could potentially be sold by regular retail seed companies? Shouldn't it be labeled as a drug & regulated that way, considering? How will it affect insects, rabbits, moles, deer & other things that feed on the lettuce/greens?

I remember reading that non-GMO lovers will just have to get used to the GMO being part of daily life. I don't think so. Not here.

Nope, this may sound good on a surface level to some, but it won't ever purposely enter my garden, no matter what the substance introduced is.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is scary on many levels! Too many evil people are playing God these days. No one knows the unintended consequences of changing DNA or RNA or adding mRNA to plants, animals, or people. I've heard researchers explain the studies where they tested mRNA jabs on animals & changed the DNA of the offspring. Very scary!! It seems like one way or another they're going to alter humanity and hopefully not extinguish it.

Like everyone else said a very good reason to eat as much organic as possible and to grow as much of our own food as we can.

• LaurieLovesLearning

I did see that, and it is historically accurate...and it is good to know accurate history.

I figure that this is a good place to throw in a reminder as we move forward in this thread...

As much as pretty much nobody is fond of their governments' actions right now (and ours is in the very process of a very important & historic election night, one like we've never seen before), we need to try to keep our views of current politics in check on here.

I will be one of the first to say that I understand how difficult it can be when they mess with so much in our lives from meds to foods to _____(I'm sure everyone could fill in the blank), but we need to be vigilant to keep our community forum free from the hate & infighting so prevalent in our world today. We need to keep the forum focused on learning & helping others improve their skill set and in a balanced manner. Adopting this frame of mind (even if we are distracted) will enable us to be able to move forward in in this crazy world in the most positive way possible.

It is good to know that we are on the right track with not only growing our own food but knowing it too.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited September 2021

After re-reading the first article yet again, I noticed something that I missed.

I will preface this by saying that first of all, a few years before all the present chaos began, I had done a lot of research on nanoparticles because I was looking into the wisdom of using micro ionized sulfur on my birds to control external parasites.

What I found was that nanoparticles are very unsafe (dangerous) and will change DNA in those exposed to them. They cross the skin barrier & more. A couple years ago, an entrepreneur kid claimed while on "Shark Tank" that no, nanoparticles were safe (in his product). He incorrectly claimed that they didn't cross the through skin as the skin has a protective layer. BUT, they go through that protective layer. They were concerned about liability. They bought in without checking any further. 🤦‍♀️

These particles are in all sorts of household things and clothing nowadays, which is scary. My understanding is that it is even in the current inoculation, but that's all I will say regarding that.

The thing is, I didn't want to put this micro ionized (nano)...not truly in natural form...product on my chickens after my findings, even though it was considered a natural treatment. Full blown sulfur maybe, but as super tiny particles, that made it even worse for them & for myself. I was supposed to get all sorts of protective stuff on to protect from inhalation, but my chickens didn't? Hmm. What about skin contact? I doubt that long sleeves would be adequate. That all just didn't sit well with me. The DNA changing component of nanos didn't sit well with me either.

Anyway, this is the "new" thing I saw in this article:

“Our idea is to repurpose naturally occurring nanoparticles, namely plant viruses, for gene delivery to plants,” Steinmetz says. “Some engineering goes into this to make the nanoparticles go to the chloroplasts and also to render them non-infectious toward the plants.” Italics mine

They are openly trying to create a GMO virus is what this says to me. Ugh. That's all I will say on that topic as well.

There are just way too many things wrong with this "bright" idea. "Science" isn't always worthy of our trust, obviously.

The lesson here is...Grow your own food. Know what the seeds are. Know where they originate. Do your research on them. Research unknown terms for their definitions and dig deeper. Learn how to properly save the seed. Be your own defense. Be wise. Stay healthy. I wish that for all of you here. 🤗

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Oh my!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is super scary. Tampering with the genetic code sounds like a recipe for disaster. Who knows what the long term effects would be for something like that. Not just to people but to the wildlife, other plants, our water systems, and the earth in general.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

The way things are going, we will have no choice but to grow our own food if we want natural food.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Exactly. I also think it's prudent to not only do this, but also to learn what we can forage safely and what each plant/animal gives as sustenance. We may not always be able to rely on a stationary garden.

I am trying to build that resource for myself offline.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I never did think it would come to this. I am glad that I do grow a garden.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

😲 I guess I'm not shocked. I'm sure there is more to this story...

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is so scary. It makes me so glad to have the ability to grow food for my family. It makes me motivate to grow a higher percentage of our food. It seems that it won't be too much longer before it is the only way to really know what we are eating.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Ummmmm what?!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@karenjanicki Unfortunately, you will have read that right. It is frightening stuff.

It should scream at us to grow our own food. The stuff in the stores (and possibly even at your seed supplier & farmers markets according to the first article) will be even more suspect than ever. Make sure your food network is solid.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm concerned with the ripple effect of this "brilliant idea." 😲

Too many variables. Too many unknowns. I feel like this could easily go horribly wrong.

Don't. Like. It. One. Bit. 🤔

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

This is 100% terrifying!!! The risks do not out weigh the benifits and there is too much that can go wrong (and that is not to mention personal health choices in general). Thank you for sharing!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm starting to see one possible solution to the Fermi Paradox, which is the attempt to understand why the galaxy isn't full of advanced civilizations sending radio signals we can receive, and even visiting us.

If advanced civilizations always end up fiddling with biology in uncontrollabke, reckless ways at very fundamental levels, it's only a matter of time before collapse and likely extinction.

So only civilizations that are not too advanced survive, and we can't detect them at interstellar distances. :-(

• Cornelius

@VermontCathy Or they are smater than us and want no part of the can of worms we are about to unleash!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

... reminds me of the old joke about why the Irish, who were the most advanced civilization of the middle ages, failed to take over the world... they discovered the science of distillation!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 All I can say is OH MY---LEAVE THE PLANTS ALONE! Thank you for posting this---what an eye opener!!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I wish I could. Unfortunately we live on a tiny piece of rented land so that's not an option for me. I can pretty much only homestead in the house such as learning to can or crochet. I wish I had property that I could work but I don't see it happening any time soon :( .

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

uh yoy yoy

This ranks right up there with spray on UPC codes!

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Oh my! This does not sound like a good idea to me. It is bad enough when we have such nutrient poor food as it is due to over farming and soil depletion. The land I am on was former agriculture land. It has taken me 20+ years of re-building the soil to get good quality plant (edibles, trees, shrubs, etc.) to grow again. There are parts that just won't grow anything that I still work with by amending the soil.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft I found the thread!

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

And even then... with wind-borne pollen and flying pollinators, it's debatable. Just ask the farmers growing open pollinated corn and getting sued by Monsanto because the neighbor's corn's pollen blew into their fields.

• Cornelius

@karenjanicki I recommend finding a friend that has a lot of land that if this get really bad you can go live with and survive. I have personally already done this with a friend that has a few acres.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Are there specific food items names to watch for that have been affected by injection? @judsoncarroll4