Well water filter suggestions for the US

We've moved into our new homestead and have a well now. The water is tested and we are able to drink it.

But we want to get some filters and I wondered if there is a certain brand for here in the United States, South Carolina specifically, that anyone could recommend?

I intent to get a sediment filter and I'd love to get a charcoal filter as well. However, I don't know what other options I may have and was hoping for some brand suggestions so I could check their sites.

I sure appreciate any help you can give me. A whole lot of learning going on now that we're here. Not that I mind at all, it's quite exciting really but it can get overwhelming too.😊

Answers

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I hope someone answers your question soon. Our city utility has well water but other than my family I have never drank well water.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina Have you had your well water tested for hardness or mineral content yet? Even if it is drinkable, sometimes it will be very hard and you may need a softener. Sometimes there will be an excess of certain minerals, that while OK to drink, may leave stains on your clothes.

Our water is very hard so we have a softener to save on our pipes and hot water tank. We also have a sediment filter at the intake before it goes through the softener and that requires regular cleaning. I'd really like to have a Berkey but they are a bit costly. We currently purchase our drinking water from a local water filtering company.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey We did test for mineral content and hardness, both were very low. In fact, everything was low except for bacteria, which we knew would be high after sitting so long undisturbed. We promptly took care of the bacteria and now just need to figure out where to get a decent filtering system.