What questions would you ask a Holistic Dentist

Β«1

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Grrrr, me and Survey Monkey are having a tough time together today... I had a custom image and text. I'm giving up! The survey still works though.

I think you know what to do yes?

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Boy, that was quick to complete! I've added my answers to the survey. Thanks, @Marjory Wildcraft! :)

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Very easy. 3 simple answers.

What is the purpose of this survey, if I might ask?

• Marjory Wildcraft

@torey I'm trying to assess what people are most interested in knowing. It's a bit of a marketing question - what questions do people want answered? I absolutely love Dr. Michelles work and the amazing clinic she has built. I'm creating a whole video series around it - I think few people realize who vital your dental health is to your overall health.

For example. Dr. Michelle asserts (and I agree) that really focusing on and improving your mouth health, jaw alignment, and breath / airway opening can increase your lifespan by a decade or two. That's a major thing IMHO. I doubt people know or understand what really is at stake here. I'm trying to find the best way to get that information across.

• Torey

@Marjory Wildcraft I watched a video herbal case presentation recently and part of the patient's issue was with digestion. One of the questions the herbalist asked was do you floss. She said with gut issues, flossing first thing in the morning before you do anything else can put you on the path to resolving gut issues. If you have something to drink before flossing, you might be passing along some of that bacteria (that has been growing in your teeth and gums all night) to your tummy.

So floss first, rinse and then have a drink of water before starting with the rest of your day.

Dental health should be considered as a basic part of anyone's health regime. You are right. I think too many people don't know enough about the subject to know how very important it is.

• Marjory Wildcraft

@torey first thing in the morning I do a tongue scrape - it's always fascinating to me to see what junk comes off my tongue (or not). A long time ago when I first learned of tongue scraping the herbalist said "your liver will thank you".

Then I rinse out my mouth with a home made mouth wash consisting of water, salt, and a few drops of peppermint.

Yes, and staying hydrated! Thanks for that reminder :)

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was easy and took less than 30 seconds.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Easy peasy to take the quiz

• SuperC

This was at the bottom of this thread...

Did you know?

Bamboo is the fastest-growing woody plant in the world; it can grow 35 inches in a single day. ...(My words: Also, bamboo is very invasive so do not plant it next to your swimming pool.)

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft I think a lot of people, neglect their dental responsibilities when they are younger or just can’t afford it. Money gets spent elsewhere, so if there is a spotlight on oral health & a correlation with general health, thats got to be a good thing. Go you!!

• Marjory Wildcraft

thank you @JodieDownUnder

I believe the underlying problem is mal nutrition. There are so many people with dental problems...

And yes, it's a lot bigger and more complicated. Even though I've eaten very well in recent history dental problems happen and slowly develop over time. Stress is a biggie for draining nutrients out of your body. The hormones and changes for females during pregnancy and then menopause... Mouth breathing tends to have the CO2 levels in your mouth be off and it enables tooth decaying bacteria to thrive beyond what they would if you had your pips shut most of the time. The interconnections are so crazy and profound!

I've been working with Dr. Michelle Jorgensen and the clinic she has created and she really has connected a ton of dots and then assembled a team of really great doctors and experts for almost all of the pieces.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to find a holistic dentist in my area. I am wondering if there is any hope for my teeth to recover from having a 'small filling' in the past. When I was young, I went to a dentist who convinced me that it's better to get the little cavities nipped in the bud. I'm overdue to have a lot of the fillings replaced. But I don't see a material that I want in my mouth.

@torey, love the info on flossing first thing for digestive issues.

• SuperC

Its so very important to visit the dentist at least once if not twice a year. A dental cleaning, X-rays, and a good talk with your dentist. So many times, people have bleeding gums, bad breath, or loose teeth or a whitening tongue. Flossing daily around each tooth motions instead up and down motions seems to be a better choice while flossing. I use a string of floss tape. Rinse out your mouth out when you wake up before brushing, this helps remove bacteria from when you were resting and or sleeping.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just answered the survey and had no problems.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,574 admin

I have one not on here. When I was a kid, my parents went to a dentist that lived the insurance money. He put mercury in all of my molars and some others and really has completely destroyed some of my teeth. He dud this to all of us kids until my parents figured out he was crooked. But, by then, much damage had been done.

One tooth that had lost its huge filling was pulled a few years ago and that was a traumatic experience due to me repeatedly almost passing out multiple times. Unmedicated labor was much, much more pleasant!

Other cavities I'd had since have had bpa containing fillings put in place. I'm not a fan of that.

There are no holistic dentists close by. I think the closest is a 6 hr. drive in another province. Affordability and time is a big deal.

I know that magnesium is a great repair tool...but...

Since a tooth repairs through its own infrastructure and the middle area has essentially been completely removed by this dentist...can this really be repaired? And my other burning question that isn't on this survey...it seems as though our enamel and that of our children's teeth seems to be disappearing and we have no idea why. We are suspecting it has something to do with environmental factors (the municipal water or other chemicals). We eat very well. Our last dentist said nothing at all (probably only saw $$$$ signs in her future), yet it was already obvious already at that time.

These are things I'd like answered above anything else.

• Torey

A naturopath friend of mine recommended an Ayurvedic brand of toothpaste. Since I started using this three years ago, I have had no cavities and the tooth pockets are improving according to my dentist. He seemed quite pleased with my mouth health the last time I saw him. I'm fortunate enough to have a holistic dentist. I didn't mention the toothpaste to him but will the next time I see him.

@LaurieLovesLearning Are you talking about a root canal with having all the middle of the tooth gone? I had one done on a tooth years ago. What a painful experience that was at the time and afterwards for many years until I had it pulled. He hadn't gotten all of the nerves out because one of the canals was calcified and he wanted to drill in through my jaw. Needless to say, I didn't co-operate with that. I had a crown put on the tooth stub and it went on crooked. That may have been part of the issue with the years of pain. But also, when they do a root canal, the stuff they fill the remaining tooth with is latex based. So I had this leaching into my body for several years.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey No, it's that the filling takes up the middle (on the biting surface) of the tooth. My understanding is that there is a tube-like space up the center of the tooth that healing goodness flows up through. If this is so, I'm assuming there may not be much of this left or it could possibly be blocked by the filling.

Where did you get the toothpaste? Is it expensive? This problem we had started before we started using toothpowder, but ditching the toothpaste didn't make much of a difference.

• Torey

@LaurieLovesLearning I get it at Nature's Fare but have found it at a couple of independent health food stores, too. I think it was 8.99 per tube the last time I bought some. I see it is online at Amazon and Walmart but is quite a bit more expensive. I hope I'm not in for a shock the next time I need to go shopping.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I had very swollen gums and I started swishing my valerian tincture at night before i swallowed it and it took the swollen gums right down. Amazing.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's one thing I'd like to talk to a holistic dentist about @Marjory Wildcraft, which was not one of the options listed.

My oldest child, 15yr old daughter, has had issues with her teeth since her permanent ones came in. Supposedly her enamel didn't produce properly and she's had issue after issue. She had to get a crown on one of her molars because it was cracking and breaking, at the age of 10yrs old. She's also had countless fillings.

I'm almost positive that the health issues she is having, that we're currently dealing with now, are due in large portion to all of that.

And I would love to be able to talk to someone and help me fix, what we can because I didn't know what I know now. I didn't realize there were other options.πŸ˜”

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for offering that survey. I have so many things I would love to learn about holistic dentistry. My ex husband and I are going through a divorce and I may be without health insurance for awhile, so I want to make sure I can take proper care of my teeth in the meantime.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft Just saw this podcast available on Mother Earth New's website.

• petalberries
    petalberries Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

Going to agree on the Ayurvedic toothpaste.

I use VICCO.

I can tell you I fell off the face of the earth for about five years looking after a sick family member. It was intense, and relentless.

I would get up in the morning, shower quickly, brush my hair and tie it back, brush my teeth and put a bit of eyeliner on.

And that would be the last time I saw myself until evening where I would brush my teeth and drop of exhaustion until the next day.

At the five year mark in a conversation with family I mentioned I hadn't been to the dentist for 5 years.

They arranged for me to go and paid for it.

I was scared. 5 Years!!!

My dentist checked my teeth, mumbled, did x-rays and seemed quite concerned.

He said he was absolutely shocked. I braced myself for some pain.

My teeth were in good condition, no new caries and a couple of small signs/beginnings of caries recorded in the previous examination had resolved.

He was almost angry. "What did you do?" he asked me.

"What you told me to do," I said. "Brushing, flossing and no to sweets."

"This is bad for business," he said. "Well done."

VICCO Ayurvedic toothpaste. They used to sell it at Health shops here in Melbourne, but the distributors have dropped it.

I have to order it online now but it's worth it.

😁 <---------the VICCO smile.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Wow @petalberries that's a very tough time in your life. I trust things are much better now?

• petalberries

It was rough.

I fought like anything.

The system kept trying to give up on him but I challenged them constantly with it not being their choice, but his.

He took his time and went when he was ready with a big smile on his face.

What more could I ask for?

Every time I try to think of the agony of his journey I remember that smile and I'm good.

The world moved on without me though.

I was in the midst of getting back into society and getting back into a normal life when lock downs hit.

Melbourne Australia. The harshest, longest lock downs in the world apparently.

That hurt, but I have 60,000 girlfriends up the back I can go sit near and have a good natter with while they buzz around collecting honey.

I harvest very little fruit and vegetables here what with the brush tail possums, ring tail possums, sulphur crested cockatoos, rainbow lorikeets, rosellas, noisy minors, fruit bats and never ending stream of rodents coming from somewhere over the fence.

They chew through bird netting.

I'll have to chicken wire from the gutter to the fence line and down and across if I want produce.

That's what a local orchardist said.

I feel bad for the birds.

They came after our "environmentally sensitive" local council permitted a couple of huge areas of bush to be destroyed for ugly apartment blocks.

They don't like sharing though. Over 200 hundred pears on an overgrown tree and I didn't even get one.

I have a lot of work to do.

Really enjoyed your Grow Your Own food seminar via the Ice Age Farmer.

:)

• LaurieLovesLearning

I'm sending a welcome all the way from cold & (very) snowy Canada, @petalberries! It's great to see that you found our community.

You sound like a wonderfully resilient person. πŸ˜„ @JodieDownUnder is our fantastic moderator from your area of the world. She will be happy to have more company. It's always fun to meet new folks from all over, but always a joy to meet someone new who is nearby.

One thing about rodents & chicken wire. Mice go through the holes, but other rodents will just chew through. If you can get hardware cloth, nothing chews through that. Knowing what keeps things out is important for the chicken breeder (which is my passion), and I've learned a lot about keeping various critters out while keeping chickens. Our biggest problem at this point is weasels. Nothing keeps them out it seems. πŸ˜’

I would like to direct you to our FAQ section if you ever have any questions about the forum itself. If you can't find the answer there, we are always happy to help.

You may also want to leave a short introduction in the Introductions section. It is meant to help members network.

Here are a couple links for you:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/our-front-porch-welcome%21-%28please-read-before-posting%29

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@petalberries Hello & welcome to TGN. Nice to have more aussies on board. I’m up on the mid north coast of NSW, near Coffs Harbour. Retired & always learning ways to get older gracefully & healthily.

I’ve heard of Vicco but not used it. I use Grants, usually the cinnamon, orange & Neem or mint & aloe. Glad your dentist got a surprise & not a lot of $$. I’ve started tongue scraping first thing & then brushing. Supposed to help with good gut microbiome! Have fun & learn heaps in this supportive, safe forum. Let’s hope lockdowns are a thing of the past.

• petalberries

Thank you for that.

It's all a bit overwhelming.

I just want to grow things and sit in the middle of my hard work and enjoy it.

I'm down in Melbourne.

Folks are very stressed out underneath it all.

You can tell by the driving.

• petalberries

Hardware cloth!!!! What's it made of?

It might go by a different name here. I want to keep and breed chickens.

I want to maintain a couple of rare breeds as well so the last thing I need is some ungrateful critter eating all my feathered friends. NO shortage of mischievous types down here.

I want Minorcans for foraging, especially around beehives. (Rare)

And I'd love to get my hands on some hackle producing chickens so I can make my own fly fishing lures. They just imported Phoenix chickens down here. Wonder what they charge....... (Very Rare)

I love Brahma's because I cared for my friends and they were just beautiful. Big beautiful birds, producing eggs well into our winters. Nothing like your winters though.

I would so love to go and visit Canada.

I'd probably never leave.

Dunno about the bears though.

Nice to meet you.

Ill hit the links tomorrow. Time for bed.

:)

• LaurieLovesLearning

@petalberries Here is an example of what it is. It comes with various sizes of squares. We buy 1/4". It is also called welded wire mesh. There is galvanized as well. Some is lighter than others. You want something nothing will chew through and small enough no predators slip through the holes. This company sells both along with a whole lot of other wire products that I've never heard of.

We will have to talk chickens in another thread, since this one is about dentists. 😁 Check out the Birds area under The Back 40 category. There's lots of information there.