Flood watch in NW PA and how to plan for such events
We had a semi mild winter until 3 weeks ago. Two snow storms hit us - not as bad as some areas, but I have been snowbound in the house. Thankfully I have a full pantry!
Things were slightly improving and I was hoping for a break in weather so I could finally get out. Be careful what you ask for.
Yesterday was in the 50's and the rain began early this morning. All this snow melting at record pace and rain on top! I am watching the small stream across the road grow in water and turn a brown color - not good!~ If I open the front door, I hear the roar of the water.
The creek behind the house will not reach us, but the neighbors are probably already having issues. Our flooding is runoff from across the hill. It used to run across the road and enter the basement but I put in a rock raised bed so that will send it away from the house if things get as bad as I think they may.
So it brings up the question, "What can you do if you live in an area that floods?" Some of my neighbors can just tie things down and stock up on food. Other may be able to divert some of the water and hope for the best.
Have you lived in a area that can flood and what did you do to help the situation?
And there are positive things with flooding - if it does not involve property damage. My lower yard is nutrient rich. I can pick up rock (yes I get big rock from across the road) to use for projects and even gravel. I get wood to use for fires or crafting.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 28 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 466 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 539 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 400 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 109 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter